Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 PM

Hollowgram cranks - removal

Any suggestion as to how to remove cannondale hollowgram cranks from bottom bracket without a cannondale crank puller. Serious responses only please
Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 PM

i've done it with two dimes and a regular crankpuller... but i don't really recommend it. you can easily strip the threads since they are alum. i don't do it this way anymore.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearmeister View Post
Any suggestion as to how to remove cannondale hollowgram cranks from bottom bracket without a cannondale crank puller. Serious responses only please
Get the cannondale crank puller...as serious as it gets for bike 'stuff'.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:57 PM

ok, so i was playing around with this again last night... I came up with a fairly easy solution that I have a little bit more confidence in that dimes/pennies.

No, pictures at the moment... but here is what I was doing.

Tools.
1. square taper crankpuller (one with more narrow head for square taper, not splined - although the splined crank puller might work with out tool #3). I used something like park tool ccp-22
2. hefty square taper crank bolt washer.
like shown here

3. hefty brake caliper spacer bolt. **it should fit snug inside of the square taper crankpuller where the head of the tool exits - effectively increasing the diameter of the head that pushes the crank off the bolt. (again, you might not need this with a splined crank puller because the head of the tool is already larger).

steps. proceed at your own risk! there's plenty of people who have stripped out their threads doing something similar. but i used this method without any issue. it was quite easy actually.
1. remove crankbolt/cover thing from the hollowgram crankset AND the little washers.
these guys.

2. insert the hefty crankbolt washer into the crank arm socket (pic below). They should sit on a 'ledge' about 1cm in. this ledge is the edge of the splines.
3. place the hefty brake caliper washer on top this this. it should sit on top of the heft crankbolt washer and cover up the hole.
4. thread in your crankpuller to the crank arm socket and remove like you would a regular crank. The tool should thread in all the way and will push against the brake caliper washer and crankbolt.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try.

Tags
cannondale, cranks, hollowgram