Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I just got a nice set of Boras from KarlC and got some Veloflex Carbons glued onto them yesterday. I can't wait to get them on the road!

How did the 1st ride go ?

Old 03-30-2019, 05:23 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
How did the 1st ride go ?

Sadly the first ride will have to wait until Friday. Just no time to ride between now and then......
Old 04-01-2019, 03:24 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
I mean, I can understand the decline in popularity of Campy, but why tubulars? It seems that, at one time, tubulars were the only option, but as time went on, clinchers overtook tubulars in popularity, even though some people still ride tubulars. Given, they're cantankerous old men who pine for the glory days of downtube shifters, box rims, and Delta brakes, but they seem to be holdouts to the "tubulars are superior" mindset, and are a vocal bunch. If you can get the same performance out of a modern clincher as you can from a tubular, what's the point? Campagnolo?

Hmmm.
Tubulars target audience had reduced to Pros and 80 year old frenchmen riding 1960' Motobecanes around ~2000. The typical bike shop would either never have heard about such a thing, or would have like two 15 year old Vittoria Rally/Lion somewhere in a dusty corner (depending on how long the shop had been around).
The clincher was for the vast majority of riders the smart choice.

Then 2 things happened simulataneously:

(1) Weight Weenieism enjoyed a boom
(2) CF parts started to get manufactured at a broader scale.

So (1) not only a small bunch of nerds, but *everyone* wanted the lightest rims/wheels possible, (2) those had CF rims (were around before but only in homeopathic doses), and (3) no one knew how to make a working CF clincher rim.

So, all of a sudden, shops started to stock tubulars again, and tire manufacturers started to make them in larger numbers and varieties again.

In the meantime, opininon leaders decided that there were things even more important than weight - comfort, aero, etc, also CF rim technology advanced. So tubulars are behind their peak. I don't think they'll vanish as completely again as the once did.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
So..you are criticizing those 200 because you did a poor 'preflight' on your gear?

Some do use tubulars but most don't cuz they have no neutral support, no pits, no cars following..so they gotta change their own tires..so clinchers mostly. Remember most tri-sexuals are not cyclists and view the 'bike' as the thing between the 'swim' and the 'run'..plus for tri people that time even their 'transitions'..doubt they would stop anyway...
I am clearly a Tri-sexual Tridork, although background is a cyclist, and yes I do use Tubulars on my TT bike. Simple reason is that second hand tubular wheels, usually bough from time trialers are unbelievably cheap as no one wants tubulars. However, I have found them to be incredibly robust, last year on one very wet and windy triathlon, when crap was being washed off fields onto the roads and sharp branches were being blown off trees, I got round without issue, many people with clinchers had to abandon after their 3rd puncture

I still find Tubulars more comfortable than clinchers, and I have read all about rolling resistance and that some clinchers may be faster than tubulars, but personally I am happy with the speed I get from my tubulars. I carry a track tire as a spare, it weighs the same as 2 inner tubes, as well as a can of Pitstop, in terms of cost, I look out for sales, and normally pay around 50-60 for a Vittoria Corsa G+, roughly the same as a clicher
Old 04-01-2019, 07:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsurf View Post
I am clearly a Tri-sexual Tridork, although background is a cyclist, and yes I do use Tubulars on my TT bike. Simple reason is that second hand tubular wheels, usually bough from time trialers are unbelievably cheap as no one wants tubulars. However, I have found them to be incredibly robust, last year on one very wet and windy triathlon, when crap was being washed off fields onto the roads and sharp branches were being blown off trees, I got round without issue, many people with clinchers had to abandon after their 3rd puncture

I still find Tubulars more comfortable than clinchers, and I have read all about rolling resistance and that some clinchers may be faster than tubulars, but personally I am happy with the speed I get from my tubulars. I carry a track tire as a spare, it weighs the same as 2 inner tubes, as well as a can of Pitstop, in terms of cost, I look out for sales, and normally pay around 50-60 for a Vittoria Corsa G+, roughly the same as a clicher
Ahh, misunderstood and do see that you believe tubulars, for a few disadvantages, are a better choice, on that I agree.

I glued on a pair of tubulars for Dave Scott for his 'return' to Kona..I think cuz his son was also racing Kona, first year or sumthin(long time ago)..Dave got a flat..took 15 minutes to change it..came back and was 'unhappy' with me cuz I did a good glue job..oh well..Some of it was sponsor driven..Zipp, I think..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-02-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:24 PM

The pros are testing (tubeless) clinchers in place of tubulars for the classics:

https://www.velonews.com/2019/03/roa...catcher_491611
Old 04-02-2019, 07:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The pros are testing (tubeless) clinchers in place of tubulars for the classics:

https://www.velonews.com/2019/03/roa...catcher_491611
Some are 'testing' disc brakes and 1by also..Methinks with lack of team car for bike replacement..me thinks discs aren't going to be in the cards, unless the team sponsor insists..like trek and Bora..
Old 04-02-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Ahh, misunderstood and do see that you believe tubulars, for a few disadvantages, are a better choice, on that I agree.

I glued on a pair of tubulars for Dave Scott for his 'return' to Kona..I think cuz his son was also racing Kona, first year or sumthin(long time ago)..Dave got a flat..took 15 minutes to change it..came back and was 'unhappy' with me cuz I did a good glue job..oh well..Some of it was sponsor driven..Zipp, I think..
Tubulars are easy to remove, bring a razor blade (carefully wrapped) and cut across tire - 10 seconds max. Put finger into cut tire and peel off, 20 seconds max.

I am lazy so I tape my tires on rather than glue - but glue gives better (and faster) results, however, it is easier to remove a taped tire
Old 04-04-2019, 09:46 AM

I'm getting ready to glue some Vittoria Corsa tires onto new Araya Aero 4 hard anodized aluminum rims. I have 180 grit emory cloth for roughing the rim surface. Is that too fine of a grit? I went over one rim twice, and it didn't seem very scuffed to me. I'm wondering how rough of a surface I should have before applying the glue.
Thanks for any input (it's been a very long time since I've glued tubulars, and I've not done it on new rims before).

Last edited by WNC rider; 04-04-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:12 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx9_QAPl...d=no9n8w8kxl40

Double blowout of what appear to be clincher tires...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
...Double blowout of what appear to be clincher tires...
Seems like it was likely an overheated rim/tire on a descent, so very likely a clincher.

I didn't get the impression that two tires blew though.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Seems like it was likely an overheated rim/tire on a descent, so very likely a clincher.

I didn't get the impression that two tires blew though.
It's there in the description. He hit something and immediately lost full air in both tires..

Old 05-27-2019, 05:49 PM

I use tubulars for racing and training. I see no advantage to clinchers.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
It's there in the description. He hit something and immediately lost full air in both tires..

And that's the reason you don't descend at speed chatting with 5 other blokes.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
I use tubulars for racing and training. I see no advantage to clinchers.
Good Day from the other side of the globe..see you are 'down unda'...and I agree...NO compelling reason to use clinchers(or tubeless)...

Ride on mate!!