Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2019, 06:48 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
I ride tubular exclusively on the road but I have stopped trying to convince other people to do that.
Thank you Lionel...
My problem is that I have 4 bikes, all with clinchers. Do I want to spend the money on new wheels and tires to see if I might like tubulars?? I don't think so.

I don't get the flat argument against clinchers. The last flat I had was about 2 years ago and it was a factory installed problem with a spoke not properly covered with a rim strip. Granted 20 years ago I had numerous flats with Continentals but nothing recent.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Thank you Lionel...

My problem is that I have 4 bikes, all with clinchers. Do I want to spend the money on new wheels and tires to see if I might like tubulars?? I don't think so.

I don't get the flat argument against clinchers. The last flat I had was about 2 years ago and it was a factory installed problem with a spoke not properly covered with a rim strip. Granted 20 years ago I had numerous flats with Continentals but nothing recent.

As I said I stopped trying to convince others to ride tubulars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2019, 06:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Interesting , I’ve had lots of flats over the decades but nearly zero pinch types. I don’t inflate the tires above 80-90 psi and try to avoid pot holes. Why do so many get that type?

Tim
Because people ride around at low pressures on skinny-ish tires and smack into things? When I was on the dark side using clinchers, I never had a pinch flat either..but in the shop..ALL the time.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
In summation,

Tubulars are less popular because they are a pain in the ass, offer negligible improvements to ride quality, and tubeless gets you there for flat protection...

On the other hand, nancys ride clinchers..

Fin
FIFY...

before anybody gets all agro and sweated up..like last time..geez, it's a farging joke..HTFU....

Time for this one again..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sry7JYV1U24

"Take your skirt off, cancel your manicure, grow a mustache and HTFU"...yup

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-25-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
With so many options for tire choices, tube choices, comfortable wider rim offerings, advances in materials to make things more durable, lighter, and more aero, tubulars have limited use cases now. They win in the weight department, but not by much, and at the expense of convenience.
Quote:
but I have stopped trying to convince other people to do that.
Yup..ya know tubulars have a variety of tubes in 'em, si?
Old 02-25-2019, 06:59 AM
aka RAEKWON

I don't know where some of yall ride not having a single flat for 2 years....

And using gatorskins does not count...

I don't have that many flats myself on clinchers but riding about 100 miles a week in winter I will have a flat every other month or so. Summer, I can go months without one
Old 02-25-2019, 07:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
So, how much did you charge to fix a clincher flat versus gluing a tubular. And what was the hourly labor rate at your shop?
$10 plus tube for a clincher and $40 to glue on a tubular BECAUSE, we wanted those who made the right choice by using tubulars to glue their own on and we would GLADLY give anybody precise instructions FOR FREE on how to do that. Not a black art, not weird science..

$60 hourly rate and no, it didn't take that long.

This is really tiresome and comes up every winter, the clincher vs tubular 'debate'..throw in tubeless...If ya don't like them, think they are a PITA, don't have any advantages for YOU, well gee, go right ahead..and I'll continue to ride everyday on tubulars and will never own a clincher(not a disc brake bike either..OMG, disc brakes!!).

BUT this throw out any 3rd, 4th, 5th hand BS about tubulars that somebody's 2rd cousin's brothers uncle told you over a beer in your garage after your sunday 20 miler...yeegads..

Rantolicious out.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I ride tubular exclusively on the road but I have stopped trying to convince other people to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This goes for me as well. I've noticed over the past several years though that more people are asking me questions about them....and the nature of the questions leads me to believe that they are entertaining thoughts of trying them.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
As I said I stopped trying to convince others to ride tubulars.
I'm with you on this Lionel...if somebody wants to learn more about the subject matter or borrow a set of wheels from me for ride, I'm game. If they want to argue about the subject matter in an effort to have me convince them to try tubulars, I pass on the discussion. I'm just along for the ride.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:50 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I don't know where some of yall ride not having a single flat for 2 years....

And using gatorskins does not count...

I don't have that many flats myself on clinchers but riding about 100 miles a week in winter I will have a flat every other month or so. Summer, I can go months without one
My riding is mainly in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area with 3-4 trips a year to various cities outside Texas. Current tires are Continental GP 5000 700x28 & 32, and Panaracer Gravel King 700x32 Slick. Also Veloflex 700x25.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
I'm just along for the ride.
And a better one at that
Old 02-25-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
I'm with you on this Lionel...if somebody wants to learn more about the subject matter or borrow a set of wheels from me for ride, I'm game. If they want to argue about the subject matter in an effort to have me convince them to try tubulars, I pass on the discussion. I'm just along for the ride.
I'll expand a little. I don't try to convince anybody to use anything WRT cycling equipment. I really don't care what anybody else uses* (as long as parts aren't falling off, are worn out and malfunctioning, etc). Now, this doesn't stop bike geek equipment 8discussion*on a ride, especially winter-style rides, but I'm not selling or pitching anything by a long shot.

* I confess that I really hate when a group is held up from riding by somebody sorting out their malfunctioning bike computer, power meter, etc. Additionally on the admittedly few occasions where I have seen somebody flat their tubeless setup, it's game over...It's never been demonstrated to me that they are field repairable. The cell phone is the proper tool in that case.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:03 AM

Someone mentioned repairing tubulars... I used to do that too but now I just throw flatted tubulars in a box and after 5-10 years I ship them all down to Tire Alert. I just got a box of 20 back. These are tires that had barley any miles on them but flatted for various reasons. All new base tape and tubes. It's a great service and well worth it.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post

* I confess that I really hate when a group is held up from riding by somebody sorting out their malfunctioning bike computer, power meter, etc. Additionally on the admittedly few occasions where I have seen somebody flat their tubeless setup, it's game over...It's never been demonstrated to me that they are field repairable. The cell phone is the proper tool in that case.
All of this! And don’t get me started on folks who show up when the ride is scheduled to leave and expect people to wait while they assemble their bike, pump up the tires and hunt around for their stuff. Or folks who don’t ever clean their bikes, don’t know what chain oil is or that it can be purchased and applied by regular people, 6” of frayed brake cables or derailleur cable, etc.

And in addition to being in time with a quiet, well tuned machine, get off of my lawn!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
$10 plus tube for a clincher and $40 to glue on a tubular BECAUSE, we wanted those who made the right choice by using tubulars to glue their own on and we would GLADLY give anybody precise instructions FOR FREE on how to do that. Not a black art, not weird science..

$60 hourly rate and no, it didn't take that long.
That's a very reasonable hourly rate.

But if you're only charging 10 bucks for clinchers, why not upsell the tube and do the labor and instruction for free. And if in fact clinchers flat like crazy, you'll be selling a greater percentage of tubes at a higher mark up. Patching tubes might be as tedious as gluing tubulars. I wonder if shops could get away with charging customers $40 to patch up tubes. You know, to incentivize conservation.