Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2014, 12:01 PM

OT: sportwagen

I'm now two weeks into ownership of a used 2014 sportwagen and I love it. Most people don't seem to get it (the wagon bit) but I figured you guys would so I decided to share.

For a base model, the car is nicely equipped, comfortable, my greyhound fits in the back, and I've already got a roof rack picked out for spring.

So far I've replaced all of the interior lights with LEDs, added a rear cargo liner, a bumper protector (dog claws) and used vag-com to turn on some of the nifty features we don't normally get here in North America.

Next on the list, window tint, whispbars, rocky mount pitch forks, and some OEM 17s. I will put snow tires on the stock wheels.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:34 PM
powered by red

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
used vag-com to turn on some of the nifty features we don't normally get here in North America.
What did you turn on, as I also have a 2014 sportwagen
Old 11-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
what did you turn on, as i also have a 2014 sportwagen
+1
Old 11-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Can you tell me some more about the vag-com? I did a little googling, but I'm not putting all the pieces together. For accessing those features, did you just buy an adapter and use the shareware? Do you need the expensive software to do useful things? Is this really a $20 endeavor?

Finally, is it difficult? Is there a high risk of mucking things up, or are you just picking menus in the software?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2014, 12:39 PM
extremely tall

Waiting for the holy grail combo that is, apparently, the 2015 Sportwagen: Diesel, Manual, AWD!
Old 11-17-2014, 12:40 PM

What is the point of changing interior lights to LEDs? And if you tell me something compelling, where did you get the LEDs and how did you do it?

PS, my sportwagen is a 2009.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:45 PM

I've had mine for 2 years now and it's been pretty awesome- I was surprised that my FWD sportwagen handled better in wisconsin snow than the AWD subaru it replaced.

Also, it's face looks like Stitch from "Lilo and Stitch." At least, that's what my daughter thinks.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:47 PM

I by no mean an expert, but I had a friend use Ross-tech vag-com. They are about $250. You can get cheaper knockoffs, but I've heard it is worth the $250 to get the real thing.

I guess there is a slim chance of messing things up, but it is slim. It basically jsit gives you an interface to tun on and off factory features. Everything we did was a a simple check or uncheck in a fairly easy to navigate menu. It's like changing system configuration settings in windows. Short descriptions and check boxes.

Here is what I did:
-Turned on the ability to roll the windows up and down with the key fob
-Turned off the cold diagnostics on the interior lights (for LED use) hot diagnostics still functions.
-added the daytime running lamp selection to the dash display (I can now turn the feature on and off using the dash display)

You also also do things like:
-Turn off the auto rear wiper when in reverse
-change the number of flashes when you bump the stalk
-turn on the "teardrop" feature (wiper goes one more after a delay when you spray)

There are also many more things you can do depending on how your car was equipped. It will also allow you do add options that were not on your car from the factory. Gps, satalite radio, fog lamps, puddle lights... Lots of these things will plug right into your car and then vag-com will let you turn the function on.

I was also able to run a full diagnostic record on the car. The only "fault" we found was the cargo light burning out. We could see the date, time, milage, amd outdoor temp when it went out. Not a big deal for a light bulb, but important if you were troubleshooting an actuall issue.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 11-17-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
Waiting for the holy grail combo that is, apparently, the 2015 Sportwagen: Diesel, Manual, AWD!
I heard we may not get awd in the North America right away. Apparently the Mexican assembly line needs updated to support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
What is the point of changing interior lights to LEDs? And if you tell me something compelling, where did you get the LEDs and how did you do it?

PS, my sportwagen is a 2009.
I got this kit:
http://deautokey.com/product/10pc-co...ortswagen-2011

It isn't the cheapest option, but it is trouble free and has great reviews. I am happy so far. You can get a similar kit (for more money) through vw or you can peice together individual bulbs and save money. I went this route to make it easy and ensure they are all color matched.

The point? I did it because it had a burnt out bulb I couldn't find locally and I had always heard it was nice to have the extra light. The lighting is much more crisp. It's a small thing but seems to class it up. The whole cargo area lights up nicely at night.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 11-17-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I'm now two weeks into ownership of a used 2014 sportwagen and I love it. Most people don't seem to get it (the wagon bit) but I figured you guys would so I decided to share.
Love wagons... particularly because they go so well with bikes and dogs. Enjoy.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
Can you tell me some more about the vag-com? I did a little googling, but I'm not putting all the pieces together. For accessing those features, did you just buy an adapter and use the shareware? Do you need the expensive software to do useful things? Is this really a $20 endeavor?

Finally, is it difficult? Is there a high risk of mucking things up, or are you just picking menus in the software?
The cable is expensive because it is essentially the license for the software. The Ross-Tech cable enables all functions of the freely distributed program.

It is not cheap, but pays for itself if it saves you two or three trips to the shop. In my case, it helped me diagnose and reset the fault codes triggering a check engine light ('twas a bad glow plug relay).

As I recall, on the car I had, the software would have allowed me to modify things like fuel supply mapping, and similarly important things, but you'd have to drill down through several menus, and it would have been very difficult to do accidentally.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:24 PM

so many sportwagen threads are making me feel like I'm back at vwvortex.com... (if you've never met me, which many haven't, I've got a big VW tattoo and two vw rabbit tattoos on my chest... JSW is on my short list for sure!)
Old 11-17-2014, 01:28 PM

The hodgepodge of mk5 and mk6 parts on the 2010-2014 jsw has me feeling right at home. I'm also a 924s owner. That car is a hodgepodge of 924 and 944 parts.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
924s
First car I ever owned, and a great car to really learn to drive in. Now there was a proper chassis.

The only parts that are really from the 924 are the body panels, thank goodness. The 924S was one of those truly rare cases where substance > appearance.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
First car I ever owned, and a great car to really learn to drive in. Now there was a proper chassis.

The only parts that are really from the 924 are the body panels, thank goodness. The 924S was one of those truly rare cases where substance > appearance.
A really good thing because the regular 924 was rather dreadful.