Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2020, 10:05 AM
alexihnen alexihnen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 153
Gangl #6 back on the road

This is the sixth Gangl bike made and shows plenty of marks from having been ridden hard. Finally got tires/saddle/bars/etc. sorted and got out for a ride.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2020, 11:24 AM
mhespenheide mhespenheide is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Olivos, CA
Posts: 2,930
That is sweet.

Do you have any opinions between your (very fine!) collection of vintage steel?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2020, 06:37 PM
CSKeller's Avatar
CSKeller CSKeller is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 593
WOW!

Alex, she is beautiful!!! Well done! She looks to be in fine shape with a little character.

Lookingng forward to hearing your impressions. If she is anything like my Gängls, the ride will be wonderful!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2020, 10:25 AM
alexihnen alexihnen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
That is sweet.

Do you have any opinions between your (very fine!) collection of vintage steel?
Dang. I guess I need to have some nuanced take on road feel, trail, SL vs. 531...

Maybe that will come, but I haven't spent enough time on them to offer a real explanation of the subtle differences. Tires, wheels, friction, indexed, sti levers...all have a bike impact too. I'm hoping to get a couple dialed in and ride them back-to-back.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2020, 10:35 AM
pritchet74 pritchet74 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,247
That's like a fine bottle of wine
__________________
Pegoretti Duende | Colnago Extreme-C, EP | Scott Spark 900
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2020, 10:51 AM
mhespenheide mhespenheide is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Olivos, CA
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexihnen View Post
Dang. I guess I need to have some nuanced take on road feel, trail, SL vs. 531...

Maybe that will come, but I haven't spent enough time on them to offer a real explanation of the subtle differences. Tires, wheels, friction, indexed, sti levers...all have a bike impact too. I'm hoping to get a couple dialed in and ride them back-to-back.
{shrug} If you don't, you don't. That's cool, too. I've only owned three steel bikes -- basic, SL/SP, and 531. I thought I could tell some differences, but who knows whether it was the steel or the geometry...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2020, 10:53 AM
alexihnen alexihnen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
{shrug} If you don't, you don't. That's cool, too. I've only owned three steel bikes -- basic, SL/SP, and 531. I thought I could tell some differences, but who knows whether it was the steel or the geometry...
Right. They're all a joy to ride and have been a lot of fun to put together. I'll get more time on them and get in tune with the differences.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2020, 07:09 PM
alexihnen alexihnen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 153
So thinking about this a bit...do any of you have a system of sorts for testing bikes, recording ride characteristics, etc. I know that’s vague, but I’m always trying to be systematic about such things. Maybe comparing 80s steel bikes lends itself to more mystique and “road feel”. Just spitballing here.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2020, 08:03 PM
alexihnen alexihnen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKeller View Post
WOW!

Alex, she is beautiful!!! Well done! She looks to be in fine shape with a little character.

Lookingng forward to hearing your impressions. If she is anything like my Gängls, the ride will be wonderful!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


Thanks! Was a real pleasure on the first ride. Needs a few adjustments and then more rides! A couple more pics:





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2020, 08:06 PM
mhespenheide mhespenheide is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Olivos, CA
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexihnen View Post
So thinking about this a bit...do any of you have a system of sorts for testing bikes, recording ride characteristics, etc. I know that’s vague, but I’m always trying to be systematic about such things. Maybe comparing 80s steel bikes lends itself to more mystique and “road feel”. Just spitballing here.
I mean, the obvious is to try to repeat some specific rides and compare times, or compare Strava segments. But really, I think Eddy's old recommendation is probably the best. "Ride lots".
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-27-2020, 10:18 AM
wernerherzogsid's Avatar
wernerherzogsid wernerherzogsid is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Werner Herzog's Mind
Posts: 23
You have a beautiful bicycle that demonstrates the timeless elegance of the form, and is a totem symbolizing how far development of these machines has come.

Treasure it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.