Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2024, 07:45 PM

Campagnolo Levante for road?

I love them on my Crux with 42 Specialized Pathfinders for gravel.
I got an excellent offer for another set, and I'm contemplating getting them as dedicated road wheels.
Campagnolo states a minimum tire width of 38, slightly wider than I want. Would running 35 or even 32 on a 25 rim be a concern?
Old 09-18-2024, 01:12 AM

I think of the outer worth as the limiting factor - I think it’s just over 30mm on these (gorgeous) wheels. I am far from a mechanic, but a 35mm tire seems to be wide enough to handle hard turning on these wheels?
Old 09-18-2024, 02:18 AM

The rim is 30,8mm outer, 25mm inner and 30mm height. 25mm internal is not unusual on road rim/wheelsets in 2024. The 2024 ETRO charts indicate 28mm wide tires as minimum. Campagnolo themselves state 38mm but they 100% describe these as gravel wheels and 38mm is a narrow gravel tire, why would they validate a smaller tire? Personally I run a 30mm gp5000 on a 25mm inner 32mm outer rim and it fits flush with the rim and never had any issues with this fit.

At a bit under 1500 gram, 30mm height and being gravel wheels these are probably a very sturdy set of wheels suitable for all weather/condition riding.

Only concern i have is that they do are neither hooked nor hookless but have a "Mini-Hook". Not sure if this would work well if you use these rims with a narrow tire and relative high pressure but if the tires you would run are validated for hookless it does not matter anyway.

Last edited by Stainomo; 09-18-2024 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-18-2024, 07:49 AM

I have a set of the Fulcrum Rapid Red Carbons (essentially the same as Levante) that I have raced/ridden with 33mm and 35mm tires without issue. Great wheels.
Old 09-18-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
I have a set of the Fulcrum Rapid Red Carbons (essentially the same as Levante) that I have raced/ridden with 33mm and 35mm tires without issue. Great wheels.
Do those wheels have the same "mini hook" tire retention as the Levantes?
Old 09-18-2024, 09:35 AM

I ride my Levantes with 33mm challenge almanzo tires (semi slick) and that combo is great on mixed surfaces which can have quite a bit of tarmac.

So I would reckon 32mm and above slicks should work a treat

I think the rim on the fulcrums and campas is exactly the same (and as far as I know the mini-hook work with all tires…contrary to hookless which is why I avoid them)
Old 09-18-2024, 09:56 AM

I could have sworn the Boyd alloy gravel wheels were mini hook, as I recently researched them, but cant find where I read that. In any case, both those and the carbon version, which is hookless, have "min tire width 30mm". They are both 25i and ~30 outer. I dont see why the Levantes would not be a great wheel for 32+
Old 09-18-2024, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I could have sworn the Boyd alloy gravel wheels were mini hook, as I recently researched them, but cant find where I read that. In any case, both those and the carbon version, which is hookless, have "min tire width 30mm". They are both 25i and ~30 outer. I dont see why the Levantes would not be a great wheel for 32+
The Boyd ccc I owned were hookless.

I would imagine if the mini hook is truly less of a hook than a regular hook then that is why they don’t recommend smaller volume tires with tubes that otherwise should be fine if tubeless.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 09-18-2024 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
Per their site, yes.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:48 AM

35mm Schwalbe G-One

i run them with 35mm Schwalbe G-Ones without problems.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:54 AM

Since your bike frame can handle it, the Schwalbe Pro One tires in 38mm are now available! These tires have been around for a while, but you can finally get them in 38mm. According to Bicycle Rolling Resistance, they perform decently for a high-end road tire. Plus, they’re currently the largest mainstream road tires you can find!

(Edit: and they are hookless compatible so worries with the mini hook)
Old 09-18-2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
What is this so-called "mini hook"? ETRTO has dimensional standards for crochet style ("hooked") rims. Either a rim meets the ETRTO standard for crochet style rims, or they don't. If they don't, they shouldn't be referred to as "hooked' rims at all, as they may not be compatible with tires that require crochet style rims.

If a rim/wheel company really does make rims with non-ETRTO compliant hooks, they open themselves up to liability. I suspect that these rims may have standard ETRTO compliant hooks, but since "Hookless" is the latest buzz word, they have made up the imaginary category of "mini-hooks"

Old 09-18-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
What is this so-called "mini hook"? ETRTO has dimensional standards for crochet style ("hooked") rims. Either a rim meets the ETRTO standard for crochet style rims, or they don't. If they don't, they shouldn't be referred to as "hooked' rims at all, as they may not be compatible with tires that require crochet style rims.

If a rim/wheel company really does make rims with non-ETRTO compliant hooks, they open themselves up to liability. I suspect that these rims may have standard ETRTO compliant hooks, but since "Hookless" is the latest buzz word, they have made up the imaginary category of "mini-hooks"

I have a set of Levante wheels with 43mm gravel tires mounted. When I got them I couldn't find any difference between them and my other hooked wheels. However, I don't know what I don't know. Kinda thinking of getting another set for 32mm road tires.
Old 09-18-2024, 04:25 PM

No reason you can't use 28mm or wider tubeless tires. BTLOS 29mm deep rims and complete wheels are lighter and cheaper. I have them on two bikes.
Old 09-19-2024, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

They are just hooks. I have rims that are hookless and hooked. The Levante wheels that I have seen - and getting for my new build - looks the exact same as any other "hooked" rim. Just Campagnolo being Campagnolo.