Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2024, 07:47 AM

about the Katy Trail

Some friends are encouraging me to sign up for a credit card tour to do this ride. I did some days on the Erie Canal Trail a few years ago and found it sort of boring after a couple of days. Pretty enough but kinda all the same. Can those of you who've done the Katy comment about your experiences, appreciation, or not?
Old 09-07-2024, 07:54 AM

I have done it a few times. A couple times in about 2.5 days. The other time all in one day with a few friends.

As far as the trail itself - it's good to ride, mostly flat, and yes, mostly all the same. If you are doing this alone, and get bored by yourself, the trail is not going to keep you fully engaged. I would recommend that you plan time to get off the trail a bit and visit the towns that you ride through.

You need to plan carefully, there are certain sections without much in the way of services. Or is this some organized ride?

Last edited by KonaSS; 09-07-2024 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-07-2024, 08:11 AM

I did about a 100 mile section of it over two days. The trail itself, I found it really boring. On the second day, I veered off north into the hills in search of more exciting riding, and actually enjoyed that a lot more. But yeah, I wouldn't go back and ride the trail itself again.
Old 09-07-2024, 08:21 AM

Don't over think it....go ride bikes with friends if you like.
Old 09-07-2024, 08:56 AM

We did the state parks organized ride of the Katy trail. First, if I had known how well the trail was groomed, we would have brought the road tandem or road bikes instead of travel bikes.
Second, we didn't get bored because of the detours. The river had flooded sections and we had to take the road a few days.
Old 09-07-2024, 08:56 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Sure, there's no elevation variety, but there's enough visual stuff to keep your mind occupied. Throw in a few interesting towns along the way, and I'd say it's worth doing at least once. (assuming you're into gravel) Plus it isn't super-long, so the ride doesn't last for ever.

I used to ride it quite often when I lived about a 30 minute ride away because it was one of nice options for me. Now I'm even closer, but don't bother because I'm on the eastern side of the MO river and have nicer paved roads (with hills) to ride.

Last edited by Louis; 09-07-2024 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-07-2024, 09:43 AM

organized ride

This would be six days of riding with an average of 45 miles per day. Staying in hotels along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I have done it a few times. A couple times in about 2.5 days. The other time all in one day with a few friends.

As far as the trail itself - it's good to ride, mostly flat, and yes, mostly all the same. If you are doing this alone, and get bored by yourself, the trail is not going to keep you fully engaged. I would recommend that you plan time to get off the trail a bit and visit the towns that you ride through.

You need to plan carefully, there are certain sections without much in the way of services. Or is this some organized ride?
Old 09-07-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
This would be six days of riding with an average of 45 miles per day. Staying in hotels along the way.
I don't know your pace, but it is pretty fast rolling in most spots. Even at a leisurely pace, that would be around 3 hours a day of riding. I wouldn't get bored of the riding, but I would get bored spending that much time sitting around in some very small towns.
Old 09-07-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
What tour is it? From Missouri, and have been thinking I should really do this, but do not carry my own crap. Too old for tents and the ground.
Old 09-07-2024, 10:56 AM

Bicycle Adventure Club

It will prob be filled in the next couple of days. Their tours fill a year in advance and the first section already filled:

https://www.bicycleadventureclub.org...de&rideid=1747

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
What tour is it? From Missouri, and have been thinking I should really do this, but do not carry my own crap. Too old for tents and the ground.
Old 09-07-2024, 01:30 PM

It's been a long time since I've ridden that trail but I'll never forget how awful that trip was from Columbia (hometown) to the state fair by bike, in the middle of August. I mean it was one of the top three worst rides of my life. It doesn't have to suck but 100* heat and a headwind will sure do a lot to make a bad day out of it.

If you really like the people you would do the trip with, why not. But don't count on the ride to provide the entertainment.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 09-07-2024, 01:43 PM

I had a friend, and his wife do that trail on Trikes. They had a blast. Took their time, explored the little towns. Stayed in some great B&B's. Ate some great local food, Met some nice local people. Listened to the train robbery stories of their ancestors. Enjoyed the history. Old train stations, etc.

I think it depends on how you approach this. Fast bike ride, or enjoyable tour.
Old 09-07-2024, 03:44 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Ate some great local food.
I have to wonder what that was. Burgers and fries or meatloaf? For me, as a vegetarian, salad and grilled cheese are often the only options.
Old 09-07-2024, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I have to wonder what that was. Burgers and fries or meatloaf? For me, as a vegetarian, salad and grilled cheese are often the only options.
He didn’t say, but this area mostly very rural. Could have been veggies from a garden included in meal. Plan your stays in advance and maybe see if you could request your food preferences. Most b&b’s wish to please. Or the ones I’ve stayed in. But living around there, you already know that. He did say a couple times they stayed in people’s homes or guest houses. Apparently the trail is a source of income for locals.

Last edited by Ralph; 09-07-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2024, 06:27 PM
Sunshine

I wouldn't want to ride only 45mi per day...especially there because going W-E, that makes for some pretty short riding time each day.
That's a lot of hotel time or small town 'exploring' time.

I have ridden multiple days on the trail and camped. It's fun, but wouldn't be at that avg daily distance.