Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2019, 03:30 PM

ot: not a complaint, just an observation VW dealer service

So the 2016 Sportwagen was due for an oil change. First two done via coupons at the dealer with tire rotation = around $100 each time. This third time I called around to a few independents and was quoted anywhere from $99 to $170 for the same change and rotate. So I thought why not back to the dealer? All was cool at the dealer but I did get a phone call saying they inspected the air and cabin filters and thought they needed to be replaced. I said no cuz I thought to myself I might do those on my own.

I then did some googling and found those filters for $30 for both. Picked up the car and asked what the filters would have been at the dealer = $70 each. I guess they get ya on the parts.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:33 PM

oops wrong section

please move to general.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 PM

Service more expensive at dealers? Who’d have thought...
Old 03-12-2019, 07:23 PM

Why does a VW dealer charge so much for oil change and tire rotation. I took my car to the Lincoln dealership today for a oil change and tire rotation, and it costs about $50 with coupon. And sure.....they mark up parts like cabin air filters a lot. Gotta make money somewhere. That's what the 100 point (at a Ford or Lincoln dealership) inspections are about. Looking for need for parts. But in some ways I appreciate that inspection. It caught a leaking CV joint last oil change That I would not have noticed for a while. Many are easy things to do yourself.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Service more expensive at dealers? Who’d have thought...
No, he's saying the service is less expensive at the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Why does a VW dealer charge so much for oil change and tire rotation. I took my car to the Lincoln dealership today for a oil change and tire rotation, and it costs about $50 with coupon. And sure.....they mark up parts like cabin air filters a lot. Gotta make money somewhere. That's what the 100 point (at a Ford or Lincoln dealership) inspections are about. Looking for need for parts. But in some ways I appreciate that inspection. It caught a leaking CV joint last oil change That I would not have noticed for a while. Many are easy things to do yourself.
Does the Lincoln oil change include full synthetic?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:56 PM

I'm beyond frustrated with my local VW dealer and VW in general. My wife and I bought a brand new 2018 Tiguan and it's been a legit POS. Riddled with recalls and problems since we got it. $180 for an oil change, $175 for 3 wiper blades (can't buy them from a parts store and took the dealer 6 weeks to get them in !!!). I'm in Canada BTW so parts and prices are a bit inflated compared to the US.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post

99 < 100. And that’s with VW coupons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdwon View Post
I'm beyond frustrated with my local VW dealer and VW in general. My wife and I bought a brand new 2018 Tiguan and it's been a legit POS. Riddled with recalls and problems since we got it. $180 for an oil change, $175 for 3 wiper blades (can't buy them from a parts store and took the dealer 6 weeks to get them in !!!). I'm in Canada BTW so parts and prices are a bit inflated compared to the US.

I’ve owned 2 VWs and will never buy another. Issues with electronics everywhere, squeaks and rattles abound. I had a new GTI that needed a new engine 2 years into ownership. Parts are expensive, complexity is up there, reliability is low, and it’s not even a luxury car. No more for me.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:10 PM

My Volvo went in for a service and they wanted to replace the wipers at a cost of $45 each. I declined after laughing out loud
Old 03-12-2019, 09:55 PM

My VW dealer had idiots in the sales department and savants in the service department. The sales department got greedy and lost a 2-car sale at the resolution of the TDI thingy, but the service guys are top notch, don’t play games, and actually do a good job at a reasonable price.

I know, weird.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
My Volvo went in for a service and they wanted to replace the wipers at a cost of $45 each. I declined after laughing out loud
$45 each for the labor or for the labor & blade?
Old 03-13-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdwon View Post
I have a 2018 Tiguan SEL Premium and while I sort of regret it st the moment, it’s been dead reliable with zero issues since I brought it home last fall.

What’s been the issue with yours?

I’m probably moving this summer and when I do I may well sell the Tiguan. I know I’ll take an eye watering hit on depreciation tho.....

I always have service done at the VW dealership. Yes, it’s a bit more expensive but generally I’ve been satisfied with the results.

I have a high mileage GTI and it has always been VW repaired and serviced. Never stranded me or let me down.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I have a 2018 Tiguan SEL Premium and while I sort of regret it st the moment, it’s been dead reliable with zero issues since I brought it home last fall.

What’s been the issue with yours?

I’m probably moving this summer and when I do I may well sell the Tiguan. I know I’ll take an eye watering hit on depreciation tho.....

I always have service done at the VW dealership. Yes, it’s a bit more expensive but generally I’ve been satisfied with the results.

I have a high mileage GTI and it has always been VW repaired and serviced. Never stranded me or let me down.
On top of 3 separate recalls we had water leak down behind the windshield and pooched the sensors and electronics for the passenger side airbag (needed all new passenger air bags and sensors), the Nav system just stopped working (location was always like 20 miles away from where we were) and it needed to have new Nav system electronics installed. All this was within the first year of ownership. My 5 year old Volvo V60 has been to the dealership exactly 0 times outside of oil changes and recommended maintenance.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:01 PM

got filters in mail today

then opened air filter box. that one was nearly clean as a whistle and did not need replacing. cabin air filter a bit more junky, so did replace that one. how often does the dealer call the customer getting an oil change and tell them both need replacing?

Last edited by eddief; 03-20-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post

Does the Lincoln oil change include full synthetic?
All Ford branded oil for passenger vehicles is semi synthetic. Full synthetic maybe $1 more per qt.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 AM
Administrator

just like bikes, i do all my own car work. even though these days my time is stretched thin and is at a premium, i would never even consider having a dealership replace air filters or windshield wipers.

i think in super affluent areas of the country, dealers may try and get away with charging higher prices and making more profit margin, counting on people who dont feel the sting of sticker shock too bad just dropping their cars off and accepting the bill out of convenience.

they days of the internet and strong online communities for almost every brand of car (especially VW) make it much easier as a consumer to not get ripped off these days though.