Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2024, 08:12 PM
n - 1

Anyone have a Yakima EXO system?

I’m looking to expand the cargo capacity a bit on our SUV.

Currently have a roof rack/basket and a hitch rack.

I thought about moving to this system from Yakima:

https://yakima.com/collections/exo

It seems pretty flexible. Bike rack on top and cargo box under for bike trips. Or two cargo boxes for camp trips.

Base swings away for rear cargo access.

I’d set it up like the picture above with the roof rack for some gear.

I thought about a trailer but no place to store it.

Wondering if there are any drawbacks before I plunk down $2,500.

Last edited by p nut; 09-15-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:24 AM

We've also got a roof box/hitch rack setup on our CX-50, I kinda hate it since the roof box adds a ton of drag and the car works HARD on 80mph freeway runs. Putting the bikes on top of a hitch haul doesn't really seem like it would fix that issue, since they'd sit above the roofline and add a bunch of drag. This system only really makes sense to me if you're putting it on a sprinter van or something tall like that.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:03 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
We've also got a roof box/hitch rack setup on our CX-50, I kinda hate it since the roof box adds a ton of drag and the car works HARD on 80mph freeway runs. Putting the bikes on top of a hitch haul doesn't really seem like it would fix that issue, since they'd sit above the roofline and add a bunch of drag. This system only really makes sense to me if you're putting it on a sprinter van or something tall like that.
I already accepted the MPG will not be great. This will go on a slightly larger 3-row SUV (Telluride). On the last camp out, I had the roof rack stacked with a couple of those 27-gallons bins from Home Depot. It wasn’t too bad and the V6 pulled plenty well, even at 75+mph speeds.

Other than the potential extra drag from a high profile, I can’t see any downsides. It’d be nice to have an extra 10-20 cu ft of cargo space.
Old 09-16-2024, 11:03 AM

I suddenly found myself going down the same rabbit hole as I have a spur of the moment two month trip to Montana and Idaho coming up in two weeks. All the storage systems from Yakima and Thule are incredibly nice, but also incredibly expensive and I am just not sure how much I would end up using it after I get back from this trip.

I ended up going the cheap route after I found a very nice Thule box on Facebook for $300 that will attach to the factory cross bars and will throw a bike rack on the hitch.

I cannot wait to see what kind of MPG hit my wifes already bad gas mileage SUV takes with that huge box on the roof.

The good thing is I doubt I will have any issue getting the $300 back if i decide to sell the box when I return home.
Old 09-16-2024, 11:25 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92037 View Post
I suddenly found myself going down the same rabbit hole as I have a spur of the moment two month trip to Montana and Idaho coming up in two weeks. All the storage systems from Yakima and Thule are incredibly nice, but also incredibly expensive and I am just not sure how much I would end up using it after I get back from this trip.

I ended up going the cheap route after I found a very nice Thule box on Facebook for $300 that will attach to the factory cross bars and will throw a bike rack on the hitch.

I cannot wait to see what kind of MPG hit my wifes already bad gas mileage SUV takes with that huge box on the roof.

The good thing is I doubt I will have any issue getting the $300 back if i decide to sell the box when I return home.
I’ve got 3 kids and a dog. So a roof rack and hitch rack won’t cut it.
I may even have to look at a roof box (ie Yakima SkyBox 21) in addition to the two EXO boxes.
Old 09-16-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92037 View Post
It’s best if you don’t look—our Mazda drops from 28-29 highway to 22-23 with the box on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2381.jpg (100.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 09-16-2024, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Better be a beefy hitch. That looks like a lot of cantilevered weight hanging there, especially if you consider the swing out.

You mention storage, probably an issue with this stuff too, it's not exactly small and compact, I could see that set-up taking up significant garage space.

They do make folding utility trailers that very well might take up less space than that set-up, but in reality towing a trailer adds another level of complexity to a road trip.

Old 09-16-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
It’s best if you don’t look—our Mazda drops from 28-29 highway to 22-23 with the box on.
I drove from PHX, AZ to Knoxville, TN and back recently and averaged a bit worse in an Accord Hybrid with a medium sized Yakima skybox up top and one bike on a 1up hitch mount plus a loaded car (kid, dog, cat, SO, packed full trunk and interior).
Old 09-16-2024, 04:16 PM
but not really

How frequently do you need that capacity? Is renting a passenger van an option? If you're needing it often, why not consider buying a bigger vehicle like minivan or suburban?

I agree with Angry, that's a lot of weight on the hitch. And it's a lot of money for a Yakima product.
Old 09-16-2024, 06:47 PM
n - 1

The max tongue weight per the hitch (Class III) is 750lbs.
The car manufacturer says 500lbs max.

Yakima base is 70lbs
The “Top Shelf” arm is 30lbs.
Each box is 30lbs.
So 160lbs before cargo.

Each box has a 100lb weight limit.

So even maxed out, whether with 2 cargo boxes or cargo box + bike rack, we’ll still be under the 500lb limit.

I doubt we’ll be anywhere near that. We’ll try to keep the lighter, bulkier stuff in there.

Storage isn’t a problem. I’ll most likely hang the boxes under the overhead shelves in the garage. Then the hitch rack somewhere on the wall.

Folding trailers…just adds too much complexity when on the road. Plus I hate towing. Even a small trailer.

Other vehicles: my wife will never drive a Suburban (already had a Landcruiser years ago and just hated the size, much to my chagrin). And we got rid of a minivan (Sienna AWD) for our current SUV. We had the minivan for 5 years and she just never liked it. It was super useful and I miss that personally. I’d get a bigger vehicle myself (200-series, most likely) but my side of the garage is too small for that.

I just found a guy selling an EXO base for $200 + $400 for the box. I might try that and see how it goes. If I like it, I’ll buy the Top Shelf and another box and bike rack.
Old 09-16-2024, 07:12 PM

Go for it!
Old 09-16-2024, 07:53 PM

Looks nice but if I may be so bold...I think what you really want is a Honda Odyssey
Old 09-16-2024, 08:15 PM

For just a “hair” more you can score this have an issue with space ever again.

In two weeks my wife, daughter and two dogs are driving from San Diego to Whitefish for a two month adventure, this rig would make the drive soooooo enjoyable.

https://www.mossyford.net/inventory/...ebvy4mp408550/

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
Looks nice but if I may be so bold...I think what you really want is a Honda Odyssey
Old 09-16-2024, 08:20 PM

Thule on top..Kuat out back.. works for me.

if you have a kid, have them order it. 20% student discount on Thule thur Thule. Could not wait for REI sales.

Last edited by Spdntrxi; 09-16-2024 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2024, 06:33 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post

if you have a kid, have them order it. 20% student discount on Thule thur Thule. Could not wait for REI sales.
Thanks. I didn’t know they did a 20% for students. I’ll look into it.