Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2024, 06:32 AM

Commuter Cycling pants

I have a 5-6mi commute with some hills (not something I can totally breeze through). I am showering and changing to work clothes upon arrival.

I dont want to wear my normal bibshorts. I dont need padding, but I am looking for some sort of wicking pant that doesn't totally break the bank... I am thinking like trail pants for MTB or maybe even hiking stuff. water resistant is fine. water proof unnecessary. mainly wicking/quick dry and not too baggy. Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2024, 07:20 AM
n - 1

I have a few pairs of these Handup shorts I use for MTB and commutes. Love them.

https://www.handupco.com/collections/shorts

Edit. Sorry, you’re looking for pants. Handup also sells pants although I haven’t tried them.

Last edited by p nut; 09-14-2024 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2024, 08:52 AM

I really like knickers. Cover all the bits that need covering, don't need to think about cuffs and chains and chainrings. I have an ancient set of SWRVE knickers, and just turned a set of wool pants into another pair for this winter.

The closest thing you can actually buy are made by MTB companies; maybe Endura? Sombrio? I'll search and come back.
Old 09-14-2024, 09:01 AM

Rapha lightweight trail pants are superb… and they do go on sale occasionally.

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/m...uct/ABO01XXGGG
Old 09-14-2024, 09:16 AM

I bought a pair of Endura Urban Stretch pants about 10 years ago from Chain Reaction in the UK. It was just under $100CAD back in the glory days of online UK retailers and free shipping.

I wish I bought a second and even a third pair but the dumbass cheapskate in me thought $100 for pants was already a splurge.

Came with a great belt.
Very stretchy material but the cut and design are not workout only. I wore them for commutes to work and they look perfectly business casual with a polo shirt. Even the waist is stretchy which is not always the case with other pants that use stretch fabric so it's comfortable even when hunched over on the bike.

Not sure if they still make them but here's one review from a quick search.
https://discerningcyclist.com/endura...-pants-review/

I bought their Humvee pants thinking it would be similar but they do stretch at all so I don't recommend them.
Old 09-15-2024, 07:03 AM

Chrome, maybe Swrve if you can find anything in your size (they’re going out of business)
Old 09-15-2024, 11:41 AM
Sunshine

Kuhl sells many pants that are quick dry, durable, and not too baggy.

https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/pants...nt/?color=Koal
https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/pants.../?color=Carbon

2 are above, but there are many others. It's actually kinda tough to sort thru the various cuts, tapers, and names thar sound similar. But they last a long time, are quick dry, and come in non-baggy form!
Old 09-15-2024, 12:34 PM

I like Western Rise pants - gusseted crotch, the right amount of stretch, durable, hidden side pocket. But there are many synthetic pants these days that fit the bill. Hell I got a pair of jockey pants with gusseted crotch and articulated knees that works great and is dirt cheap on sale.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:28 AM

Awesome suggestions all around. I got a pair of rapha technical trousers of Ebay for cheap. The trail ones also look great as well. Jockey pants--never thought about that ! will post back once I have tested a few.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:37 AM

Ummm.....my wife found some "commuter" pants at Target, I believe it's their "All Motion" in house brand. They sat on our footbed bench for couple of weeks and when we were in a rush I reluctantly put them on because I couldn't find anything else that was clean and now I wear them everywhere.

I've worn them for 5 or 6 mile rides and they'd probably fit the bill.

Worth a look

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-commu...85#lnk=sametab
Old 09-16-2024, 09:48 AM

I mainly use these for hiking but I think the Wrangler ATG convertible trail jogger would also work quite well. Quick dry, stretchy, lightweight, tapered leg, integrated belt and ankle pulls. Also has some vented panels behind the knee to minimize overheating. Wouldn't pass for formal but look decent enough and come in several colors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ion_Asin_Title
Old 09-16-2024, 10:01 AM

Even 3 years ago I'd say outlier sd but their prices have moved into the stratosphere.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:02 AM

Awesome suggestions all around. I got a pair of rapha technical trousers of Ebay for cheap. The trail ones also look great as well. Jockey pants--never thought about that ! will post back once I have tested a few.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
I really like knickers. Cover all the bits that need covering, don't need to think about cuffs and chains and chainrings. I have an ancient set of SWRVE knickers, and just turned a set of wool pants into another pair for this winter.

The closest thing you can actually buy are made by MTB companies; maybe Endura? Sombrio? I'll search and come back.
I also use SWRVE knickers for my year round commute, which is about 8 miles each way. They've held up very well over the years. In the winter, I just through some leggings on.
Old 09-16-2024, 11:56 AM
litcrazy

I love knickers for this but right now they are harder to find.
The outdoor research Ferrosi pants and knickers are super light, work well and often seem to pop up on sale.

The Eddie Bauer guide pro pants likewise seem to often be 40-60% off their $90 price.

I got rained on during my short bike commute in this morning and appreciated being dry before long.