Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2024, 06:37 PM

RIP Dick Ring, legendary race announcer

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...ng-dies-at-90/

Here's an article from 1993 about him: https://www.ltolman.org/93arch/93704.htm.

You can see a two-part documentary on Vimeo, linked here: https://www.cxhairs.com/2017/03/24/d...g-documentary/.

And a long interview with him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh8aMv-5I5s.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:45 PM

Sorry to hear that. He was a legend. I'm sure my friend Shelley Lutz will be at his funeral. She came to racing late and took some of Dick's training camps and became a crit monster, and a good buddy of his, too.

Last edited by tv_vt; 01-26-2024 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:46 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

I’ve known Dick for 50+ years.
He’s everything good about the sport, in New England and beyond.

He’s interviewing me after one of my better finishes at Killington Stage Race.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:54 PM

Yep, Richie, that's exactly where I remember him, commenting on the Center Street climb at the Sunday criterium at the Killington Stage Race in downtown Rutland. Lots of memories there. I used to live 10 miles from where that photo was taken. I was probably in the same race you were (only much farther back - that pure-power hill killed me every time).

Nice looking bike, btw.

Last edited by tv_vt; 01-25-2024 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:48 AM

Dick, that hill, and race bring back memories. RIP
Old 01-26-2024, 07:42 AM

Legend -- is to put it mildly

Back in 1973 a friend and I cycled from Worcester MA to my grandmothers house in Amesbury MA, was 15/16 at the time. It was our first longer overnight. About 1/2 there we met up with this "team" and of course the leader with the Legend himself. He sold his team to slow it a bit, and spin. Over course of number of miles he rode next to us, coaching on correct spin techniques and general riding in pack. He became in that one ride a father figure to me and needless to say never forgot.

Loved going to Fitchburg just to hear him should out Allez Allez, Prim Prim.

Life well lived, Godspeed Dick may many of your kids pack up with you up there
Old 01-26-2024, 09:33 AM

Anyone who has been to a race announced by Dick Ring will be familiar with these expressions:

"A race within a race."

"A fin and a sawbuck."

"Katie bar the door."

And the most iconic of them all ...

"Lord love a duck!"

Dick Ring and several of his buddies formed the North East Bicycle Club in 1956, which is currently the oldest USAC bike club in New England. I've been a member of the club since the 1990s, and although Dick had stepped back from running the club by then, he still contributed to it. I most especially remember the weekly sprints training series he ran at Fort Devens in the 1990s and 2000s. Fort Devens was still an active army base then, but Dick apparently knew the base commander, and got permission to hold these weekly races on a loop at the base. I can still remember having to stop at the guard house at the gates, and being asked by the guard what my business there was. I would say I was there for the bike race, and after seeing me in my cycling kit and the bike in the back of the car, the guard would signal me through.

I've been in many races announced by Dick, and he seemed to know every racer in New England by name. He'd often tell the spectators a little story about every racer he knew - and if he didn't know a story about a particular racer, he'd make one up on the spot! I'm sure the race he most enjoyed announcing was NEBC's annual Kid's Crit, where he'd be shouting encouragement to all the kids racing, regardless of whether they were in first place or last place.

I haven't seen as much of Dick in the last few years, but it wasn't long ago (when he was in his late 80s) that I ran into him out on his bike some miles from his hometown. He was still as gregarious as ever, chatting about his recent riding, and wishing me well, before pedalling off again.

Godspeed, Dick.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:16 PM

Here's another tribute: https://alancote.substack.com/p/reme...of-new-england.

"For generations of cyclists in New England, race announcer Dick Ring calling your name at the finish line ranked as the highnote of the summer. You might have been in a breakaway, making a move at the front, winning a sprint … or chasing valiantly off the back. It didn’t matter if it was a first-timers race in a parking lot or a pro-am pack in a big downtown criterium – Ring’s enthusiasm on the microphone was equal for all..."
Old 01-29-2024, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
And the most iconic of them all ...

"Lord love a duck!"
I guess that's from the title of the film with Roddy McDowall, Tuesday Weld, and Harvey Korman? I once caught it on TCM, pretty strange, occasionally funny.