Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 11-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Fitter in Southeast (Between Atlanta - Birmingham, AL)

After reading the SF Bike Fit recommendation thread I thought I post my own request for a recommendation.

I've never had a bike fit, but I'm comfortable on my current bike (Giant TCR); however, I think it's a one size too small (M). I bought the bike used and had only been taught about standover and toptube length prior to that, and feeling that my previous bike a (57 TT - Lemond) was too big, I saw the TCR had a 55 TT and jumped on it without considering stack/reach.

I'm looking to buy a new bike in the coming year and I'd like to get fitted so I can make a better choice on both brand, model, and size. I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have a bike fitter they would really recommend in the Southeast? Areas I'd be happy to drive to would be Atlanta, Birmingham, Auburn, Columbus, Macon or thereabouts.
2. If my bike is on the small side and I get fit for it, will I get enough information about what would work for me on my next bike?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2018, 02:04 PM
v a n i l l a

I think you can learn a lot on your own...

have someone local establish your saddle height and setback. whether you are on a 54-55-56-57 your saddle needs to be where it needs to be relative to the BB.

now determine how much bar drop you want need by raise and lower the bars.
if you need more drop, maybe you need a shorter head tube and a small frame
if you need less drop, maybe you may need to get a larger headtube and therefore a larger frame.

as you know, pro riders need a lot of drop and the only way they can get it is by riding a too small frame with a much shorter HT and then getting the length back via 130-140 stem

now go play with changing the stem lengths from 100-110-120-130 and see how you like the reach. now you've got your contact points. buy some used stems here for the fitting purposes.

as a general rule I'd guess a target for most recreational folks who can ride stock frames is probably 4-6cm bar drop and 110 stem

getting your contact points is one thing, the second is centering them on the frame so the ride is balanced and neutral. so, you can make your current bike "fit" but it might not be the best placement on the frame.

I'm no fitter, but this is what I have gathered from reading the insights of many folks who post here.

I would do all that before I dropped $300-500 and drove to a fitter.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I think you can learn a lot on your own...

have someone local establish your saddle height and setback. whether you are on a 54-55-56-57 your saddle needs to be where it needs to be relative to the BB.

I feel comfortable on my frame; however, I have quite a bit of drop, about 8cm. In terms of all my contact points, I feel good. No hip rocking, leg extension is good, no excess pressure anywhere, I can lift myself up from the bars using my core but it's neither too easy or too hard. I think I'd be OK riding this set up for quite a while.

I'm mostly curious as to whether having a frame that is on the smaller side for my body would impede getting absolute measurements for the size bike that would be "just right" for me rather than on the small or large side.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagelMaster View Post
I've never had a bike fit, but I'm comfortable on my current bike (Giant TCR); however, I think it's a one size too small (M)...
How tall are you?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
How tall are you?
I'm 5 ft 10.5 in (179 cm), my inseam (from the floor to my groin) is 32.5in (82.5 cm) and my arm length is 28 in (71cm).
Old 12-07-2018, 12:46 PM

No suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 PM

I think if you called a couple of the larger shops in Atlanta someone one could recommend a fitter. You could start with Roswell Bikes.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:11 PM

Not that close but I would trust a fit to Gran Fondo Bikes in Nashville TN. Maybe not much further than Birmingham for you, idk. As others said there is surely somebody in your town but I'd you feel like seeing Nashville....
Old 12-14-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
Not that close but I would trust a fit to Gran Fondo Bikes in Nashville TN. Maybe not much further than Birmingham for you, idk. As others said there is surely somebody in your town but I'd you feel like seeing Nashville....
Unfortunately I’m about equidistant from Birmingham and Atlanta, so a bit of a trip from Nashville. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 12-27-2018, 10:09 AM

So can you actually find bagels halfway between Birmingham and Atlanta?

Sorry, but I like to think that I am the Bagel Master and my recommendation the next time you're in Atlanta is B&B Bagels. Owners moved here from Long Island some time ago and on the weekends you can't find a parking space.

I travel on business and search out the best bagels I can find. Colorado Springs, Grand Rapids, Billings, Orange County, Tucson...I have a list.

Only problem is; they are the antithesis of good training food.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 PM

I can recommend Bicycle Doctor in Norcross/Atlanta. The shop is tucked away in an industrial park, but their fitter Joel is really good.