Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2024, 06:48 AM

Colnago's Retrofitting service

"Colnago Retrofitting is a new service offered by Colnago to owners of their classic bikes, and to those who think they own a Colnago, but maybe are not 100% sure. The Retrofitting service analyzes the frameset itself and its origins to verify the bike’s authenticity, and then officially certifies and registers it in a modern logbook of known Colnago bikes."
https://bikerumor.com/colnago-retrof...ool-road-bike/
Old 10-05-2024, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
"Colnago Retrofitting is a new service offered by Colnago to owners of their classic bikes, and to those who think they own a Colnago, but maybe are not 100% sure. The Retrofitting service analyzes the frameset itself and its origins to verify the bike’s authenticity, and then officially certifies and registers it in a modern logbook of known Colnago bikes."
https://bikerumor.com/colnago-retrof...ool-road-bike/
That’s an interesting offer. For 29 euros, it seems like a reasonable price for those that would like to authenticate their bikes as the real thing in this era of fakes/replicas.

Texbike
Old 10-05-2024, 07:27 AM

More steps than other manufacturer's for sure. But I've have pretty good luck with confirming a lot of bikes by just asking the suspected maker.

My various inquiries:

I've paid Basso in the past to confirm that a repainted bike was a Gap and for the build year, tubing, etc.

Waterford offers Provenance reports.

Billato is awesome about telling you if they built a particular bike for someone. They confirmed several bikes including a Concorde I couldn't figure out on my own research

Olmo has helped me in the past with the "Oscar Freire" team bike.

Eddy Maertens confirmed an odd Martelly bike for me. Ribble confirmed not painting it or ever touching it despite it having their decals on it when I got it.

De Rues provided background history on a bike I had.

David Kirk gave insight and confirmed building my Fishlips bike.

The custom Lemond I have origin was confirmed by several members of the club involved with them to include the pro rider who Greg had it made for.

Paletti confirmed than their beautiful bike I have was made for a show back in the day.

Gita confirmed with details, Dario Pegoretti's role in helping to design Giordana bikes. Dario confirmed via an email when I asked him.

Richard Schwinn confirmed the Panasonic origin of my prototype PDG Paramount frame.

Bob Jackson gave me build year, tubing, original retailer, etc on their bike.

Orbea provided all kinds of info and access to company catalog files on my 80's Cabestany

Struck out getting a response back from anyone I contacted at the Orange County Wheelman glub. They seemed to be where my Paramount Racing Team Cannondale CAAD8 Optimo originated from.

No response from the current Swiss Bike Shop Krapf about my early 80's Vanni Losa built bike branded in their name. But the shop has changed owners over the years so it was a long shot.
Old 10-05-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
That’s an interesting offer. For 29 euros, it seems like a reasonable price for those that would like to authenticate their bikes as the real thing in this era of fakes/replicas.

Texbike
It's a bit of a weird offer when Laura @ Colnago used to provide details at no charge via email. She couldn't help me with my Master CX as it has no serial number; I expect this new paid service would be the same.

I *would* like to know its provenance...but extensive googling and some outreach to mid-90s Colnago-sponsored racers produced interesting conversations but no details.

I feel no need to "certify" my C50.
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 10-05-2024, 07:54 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
You must mean the frame you believe to be a C50...
Old 10-05-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Right. That's the one.
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 10-05-2024, 09:14 AM

The blockchain aspect if this feels stupid and unnecessary, but otherwise it seems like a reasonable service for a reasonable price.
Old 10-05-2024, 09:24 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Begs the question [I think I know most likely answer].

Which 'ilk' is more likely to be counterfeit. C-40,50,64, etc. or my 1985 SLX Nago Victory. Especially since I got it 30 years ago, boy that would be a surprise
Old 10-05-2024, 09:36 AM

Pay for something that was always available. No thanks. I’m tired of being nickel and dimed.
Old 10-05-2024, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Pay for something that was always available. No thanks. I’m tired of being nickel and dimed.
Maybe Laura retired.
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 10-05-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
It's a bit of a weird offer when Laura @ Colnago used to provide details at no charge via email. She couldn't help me with my Master CX as it has no serial number; I expect this new paid service would be the same.

I *would* like to know its provenance...but extensive googling and some outreach to mid-90s Colnago-sponsored racers produced interesting conversations but no details.

Yes, but did Laura give you a cool carbon-looking sticker to put on your bike when it authenticated???

And yes, I agree - I wouldn't bother to do this with C50s, C40s, EP/EC, MXL, etc. However, as fakes began to proliferate about the time of the EPS, it may make more sense for those bikes and models since then. Although, there are easy ways to ID a real Colnago from a fake one on most of their models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
The blockchain aspect if this feels stupid and unnecessary, but otherwise it seems like a reasonable service for a reasonable price.
Yeah, that's kinda dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
I'm not a fan of being nickel and dimed either. However, this doesn't seem to be that as a person isn't being forced to authenticate their bike. Colnago is actually providing a service to those who would like to know more about their bike and its authenticity (if they're not able determine that themselves). To me, it's a reasonable cost and I'd feel the same if were Pinarello, Seven, Moots, Sachs, Kirk, or another builder.

Am I likely to use it? No. I'm comfortable with the authenticity of my Colnagos. However, I do have a coworker who bought a replica Colnago (one of their carbon aero models) and didn't realize it until a year or two later when someone pointed it out to him.

Texbike

Cheers,

Texbike
Old 10-05-2024, 11:50 AM

I can’t wait for all manufacturers to have their own identification process. That way they all can make money!
Old 10-05-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
it's a reasonable cost and I'd feel the same if were Pinarello, Seven, Moots, Sachs, Kirk, or another builder.
I've gotten build sheets from Seven (I think they charge $20) and quick personal email responses from Moots.

All I'd really want is a build sheet with my serial number on it.

Anything beyond that and I'd expect that the company is building a direct marketing database. Feels to me like a consultant came up with this idea. Blockchain? Really?
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 10-05-2024, 12:09 PM

Colnago Retrofitting and Colnago NFT and you’re set!
Old 10-05-2024, 02:11 PM

Sounds like a nice peace of mind service for those who need it, but can we call it something else?