Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Nope - it was Hoyer as part of the package from the 49’s.

Compensatory pick killed that part of the deal and then the 49’s cut him. He is now free to sign with anyone.

Rumors floating around that the Pats might work out Kapaernik but I doubt B.B. would put up with that distraction.

BK
Belichik has done it before with Randy Moss and Chad Johnson/ochocinco, and there is some talk about the Pats trading for Ndamukong Suh (Not sure I’d be happy about this).

I’d be happy to see Kapaernik end up on the Pats.

Last edited by djg21; 10-31-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:30 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
I think it's this. Sounded like a terrible trade, but then I read Mike Reiss:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england...immy-garoppolo

They have some big picks next year, and it's supposed to be a good qb year, and it's hard to find fault with TB's play this season.
Yeah, I understand the reasoning behind it. I can't find the quotation from Belichick last year, but it was in reference to losing Brady for the suspension, and he said something like, "Listen, the QB position is one of the most important positions on the team, you need to have personnel in there from bottom to top of the depth chart, it has to be covered." then they trotted out Jimmy G and Brissett to win of 3 of 4 games without Brady... ie. the second and 3rd string QBs.

And now, we're like 2 plays away from drawing straws to see who will play QB like its a pick up game. I mean, I understand we're on a Bye, so we have a couple weeks, but we are really vulnerable to an injury at that position.

Also, we're likely to have a couple picks now around 20-33 range. The earliest Belichick has taken a QB before now is 62. So, it would be very surprising to see either of those picks used on one of the top prospect QBs. I don't know, Belichick rarely does something without a plan -- so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Or maybe Bill is going to do what he's done with the RBs... and just carry 3 QBs on the roster, and do a QB by committee.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:06 AM
needs adult supervision

Know it'll never happen but I wish Pats would trade for Larry Fitzgerald. Imagine Brady throwing to Fitzgerald? Pats' D won't hold good offenses, why try to bolster it now? Instead, we need to outscore people. One more great receiver would do more than a middling d-line rusher. And, doesn't Fitzgerald deserve to have one shot at a ring? I know, I'm dreaming.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:32 AM

My question is WHY?
Why are they making this trade now as opposed to this past summer when they could have gotten more than a high 2nd round pick.
I would have thought to have JG take some reps and give Brady a rest during blowouts.
I heard an interview yesterday on WEEI - Holley asked BB if there were any upcoming trades and BB stated he didn't know as he doesn't get involved - stated that he is focused on preparing the team for the next game etc... he stated that this week is a bye week so he could get involved but he usually doesn't. - All spin. He is a Parcells protege ("If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries”).

That said - In Bill we trust". - Go Pats!!!
Old 10-31-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
My question is WHY?
Why are they making this trade now as opposed to this past summer when they could have gotten more than a high 2nd round pick.

Because they thought they could make him happy enough to stay and not be a starter.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2017, 12:09 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-27-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:18 PM
needs adult supervision

My theory:

The first three quarters of last year's Super Bowl spooked the Pats. Brady was, at best, average. But then in the 4thQ and OT he was, well, Tom Brady.

Coming into this year, the Pats didn't know which Brady would show up, so they wanted to hedge their bet. Keep Jimmy G as long as they could to see how TB played. And Tom has been a roller coaster this year. He's badly missed open receivers, while at other times he's dropped passes into impossible places. Down to down TB bounces between good and bad Brady. Thing is, he is still good enough that Pats can't walk away from him and sign Jimmy G to a big bucks deal. In a way, the Pats are in a not great place. TB is playing well enough to win ugly but not well enough to make Pats a dominant team. I honestly believe the Pats wanted one more Super Bowl out of TB then move to Jimmy G, but Jimmy is, rightly, impatient to start and TB is just good enough not to walk away from.

I think both BB and Josh McDaniels want to coach Jimmy as a starter, coach a mobile accurate QB. That's the future of the league. Jimmy G could be a Russell Wilson QB, not a 'running' QB but one who scrambles behind the line to extend plays until a receiver gets open.

Now Pats have to hope they can find TB's replacement in this year's draft with SF's second round pick, which is essentially like a Pats 1st round pick as both would be about 32-35th pick.

Last edited by Climb01742; 10-31-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
My question is WHY?
I would have thought to have JG take some reps and give Brady a rest during blowouts.
I heard an interview yesterday on WEEI - Holley asked BB if there were any upcoming trades and BB stated he didn't know as he doesn't get involved - stated that he is focused on preparing the team for the next game etc... he stated that this week is a bye week so he could get involved but he usually doesn't. - All spin. He is a Parcells protege ("If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries”).

That said - In Bill we trust". - Go Pats!!!
Why are you sure they could have gotten more than a 2nd? Cleveland was apparently not going higher than a 2nd...and you got a 2nd from an 0-8 team.

Personally I find it astounding that anyone would trade over a 3rd for a guy that looks for all the world like a system product. I certainly wouldn't pay him starting QB money.

This Jay Ajayi had better pick up the blitz and keep his mouth shut. Not wild about what I'm hearing from my Miami friends.

Last edited by Aaron O; 10-31-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
This Jay Ajayi had better pick up the blitz and keep his mouth shut. Not wild about what I'm hearing from my Miami friends.
Miami keep their mouths shut against the Pats?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
Why are you sure they could have gotten more than a 2nd? Cleveland was apparently not going higher than a 2nd...and you got a 2nd from an 0-8 team.

Personally I find it astounding that anyone would trade over a 3rd for a guy that looks for all the world like a system product. I certainly wouldn't pay him starting QB money.

Read a few things today...

Apparently, Pats were trying to keep garoppolo around, even willing to pay him, but he didn't want to spend the next however long as a back-up.

As for the Browns, sounds like their head office locked up and went home at 5 last night and missed the boat!
Old 10-31-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
Read a few things today...

Apparently, Pats were trying to keep garoppolo around, even willing to pay him, but he didn't want to spend the next however long as a back-up.

As for the Browns, sounds like their head office locked up and went home at 5 last night and missed the boat!
I suspect the Browns will kick themselves over Wentz and (especially) Watson. I doubt they'll regret not overpaying for a career backup. The hype this guy has gotten is ridiculous from what I've seen.

If you passed on Watson, and you needed a QB, you should be fired.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:17 PM

That cry of lament you just heard was from the entire Commonwealth of Pennsyltucky. The hoodie (and Dreamy Tom Brady) rules again

The long faces of all the yingzers at work will make my week
Old 12-17-2017, 07:34 PM

Apparently every New England fan thinks that we benefited from a terrible call. I am pretty bewildered by the dizzying array of football rules, but I thought a receiver (different from a runner) had to maintain possession throughout the catch into the end zone. But then maybe I'm just a ridiculous homer (I definitely am).

Incredible last couple minutes to that game. I thought that was a definite L. And an unbelievable performance from Gronk.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
Apparently every New England fan thinks that we benefited from a terrible call. I am pretty bewildered by the dizzying array of football rules, but I thought a receiver (different from a runner) had to maintain possession throughout the catch into the end zone. But then maybe I'm just a ridiculous homer (I definitely am).

Incredible last couple minutes to that game. I thought that was a definite L. And an unbelievable performance from Gronk.
I thought the call was right. He was bobbling the ball and in any event, his knees were down before he extended the ball over the plane of the end zone. If there is an issue, it was with the rule itself. https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/11...hnson-referees. It’s going to be and interesting post-season. I’m betting on the Pats and the Rams in the Super Bowl.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:56 PM

YES, AGAIN! When you throw the ball 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad: interception or incompletion. Didn't the Steelers watch Super bowl 49?