Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: To Potenza or Not to Potenza
Get the Gruppo 16 41.03%
Get the Gruppo minus the brake calipers 3 7.69%
Keep the 2005 Record and replace damaged parts 20 51.28%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2018, 04:01 PM

Potenza 11 sp, or old Record 10 sp?

That is the question. My gorgeous Bottecchia Leggendaria got totaled on Dec. 2nd, when a stout Labrador blindsided me and bent the fram and fork, as well as some other goodies. My shifters fared ok, the crank seems sound, and I've got another 10 sp RD to replace the damaged one. Questions is, with the insurance funds coming in, do I make the jump to 11 sp (I like the polished aluminum look of Potenza), or keep the $650 the gruppo would cost and be happy with the old tried and true?

Anyone have experience with both? Other than the single shifting to smaller cogs, what is the downside?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Administrator

what is the new frame?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
what is the new frame?
Fair question! I am getting a replacement from Bottecchia, as I loved that ride:
https://www.bottecchia.com/en/modelli/leggendaria-2019
Old 12-13-2018, 04:20 PM
Administrator

that looks really great!

i think adding fresh, brand new components to a brand new frame is the way to go if you can swing it.

i will attest that the new potenza 11 stuff is really quite good, so no worries there. i have thousands of miles on it now. that is definitely my vote.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm not jazzed about the 4-arm crank design, but I'm glad that they offer a nicer gruppo in polished silver. I'm tired of black everywhere I look.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:29 PM
il Curmudgeoni

You pose a tough question for me. I would almost always pick silver over black but in this case...

The Potenza has two big problems for me. First off it has that hideous crank and then there's the fact that it's Powershift. I know a lot of people don't seem to mind Powershift but I love how Ultrashift works and I wouldn't want Campy shifters that don't have that feature. I also prefer the 10sp hood shape over the 11sp.

If it was my bike I'd be looking for silver Chorus or Centaur 10sp.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:38 PM

I would get the silver Potenza if you like the polish sliver look!

Last edited by zmalwo; 12-13-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
You pose a tough question for me. I would almost always pick silver over black but in this case...

The Potenza has two big problems for me. First off it has that hideous crank and then there's the fact that it's Powershift. I know a lot of people don't seem to mind Powershift but I love how Ultrashift works and I wouldn't want Campy shifters that don't have that feature. I also prefer the 10sp hood shape over the 11sp.

I actually have a silver Centaur Ultra torque crank on there now (classic shaped spider). I like it, and can be very happy with that 53/39 on the new frame. I really have a hard time warming up to the 4-arm design, but could live with it if push came to shove. As for shifting, I've had Ultrashift since 1999 - it would be hard to give up.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:42 PM
Riding Along

Just tell us that you are getting the new frame in blue. That will be a sweet ride. Go for the 11sp. You will not regret the choice.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:48 PM
#RYFB

All three color schemes are winners, but I think I like the black & white best.

I've been having the same debate in my mind —*whether to replace the Chorus 10 on my Duende with Potenza. Partly because I like the classic silver but also to gain the flexibility of mid-compact. I personally don't mind the 4 arm crank as much as others and, while I'd miss ultrashift, I think I'd adapt. So I say Potenza…then if you don't like it we can trade
Old 12-13-2018, 04:50 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungaro View Post
I actually have a silver Centaur Ultra torque crank on there now (classic shaped spider). I like it, and can be very happy with that 53/39 on the new frame. I really have a hard time warming up to the 4-arm design, but could live with it if push came to shove. As for shifting, I've had Ultrashift since 1999 - it would be hard to give up.
That crank would solve that problem.

As for the shifters, you can move the silver brake blades to Chorus bodies. That means buying two sets of levers (or extra blades which are almost as much as the whole levers) though so it's not an inexpensive fix.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:06 PM
PegoNagos

Record 10 speed is the pinnacle of ergonomics and shifting performance. The 10s level shape is by far my favorite.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:16 PM

I have always been for campy 10 and i never saw the point in going 11s. I went 11s on my recent build and it is CRISP. My used 11s chorus group is night and day compared to my used 10s group with brand new cables and adjustments even. Maybe my 10s was too beat up, not sure.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
Record 10 speed is the pinnacle of ergonomics and shifting performance. The 10s level shape is by far my favorite.
This. Potenza with Powershift doesn't come close in terms of shift feel. That being said, you should probably do Potenza because I'm selling a silver mini group.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post

My sentiments exactly.