Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2018, 08:35 AM
needs adult supervision

The dude in the photos above is a wimp. Here's the real thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vK_Vx4yP_g

I'm actually a fan of hip thrusts, but as has been said, with much, much weight. Begin with body weight and work up slowly to using just single plates or dumbbells resting on you. Doing them slowly with strict form with between 25-45 pounds is massively hard and effective. Or you could go the James Harrison PED route. Your choice.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
I'm actually a fan of hip thrusts, but as has been said, with much, much weight. Begin with body weight and work up slowly to using just single plates or dumbbells resting on you. Doing them slowly with strict form with between 25-45 pounds is massively hard and effective. Or you could go the James Harrison PED route. Your choice.
I have not done these in some time but when I did, per my pt I had to focus on not activating the hamstrings.

I just did the pose that xxtwindad posted.......easy at first then it creeps up on you. Get up after two or so minutes and you walk funny. Great pose.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
@sparky33 I think I see your problem. You appear to be attempting that maneuver in your office. Try it in your kitchen instead like the guy in the photo. ;-)
Studies have shown that when there's the scent of fresh baked cookies present, people tend to be more flexible. The exact correlation is still unknown...
Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
I have not done these in some time but when I did, per my pt I had to focus on not activating the hamstrings.

I just did the pose that xxtwindad posted.......easy at first then it creeps up on you. Get up after two or so minutes and you walk funny. Great pose.
Two minutes consecutively? That's impressive!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Get in a squat position with your butt slightly raised, with both palms flat on the ground. Knees and feet pointed outward. This will necessitate activating the adductors (groin muscles) See the model in the photo. Try holding it for two minutes. I'd be really impressed if any Paceliners can do it. Remember to keep the feet and knees pointed outward and palms flat on the ground.
Been doing a lot of stretching and strengthening of glutes, hips, fundamental parts to save my dodgy knees from IT band pain. So this one isn't unfamiliar. Still, not two minutes straight.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Did 1:20 earlier tonight. My uber-flexible 4 year old did the full 2 minutes and didnt seem affected. Kids.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:38 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Get in a squat position with your butt slightly raised, with both palms flat on the ground. Knees and feet pointed outward. This will necessitate activating the adductors (groin muscles) See the model in the photo.
2:30 at which point I was starting to feel it, so I bailed. (unless I was doing it incorrectly, but I really don't think so)
Rowing and misc core stuff pays off...

Does that mean I have a cute butt?

https://www.concept2.com/news/glutes...-do-you-use-em

Last edited by Louis; 12-12-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
[ATTACH]Attachment 1697971416[/ATTACH]
Get in a squat position with your butt slightly raised, with both palms flat on the ground. Knees and feet pointed outward. This will necessitate activating the adductors (groin muscles) See the model in the photo. Try holding it for two minutes. I'd be really impressed if any Paceliners can do it. Remember to keep the feet and knees pointed outward and palms flat on the ground.
Lasted 2m30s as well, but maybe I'm doing it wrong? I had my palms flat, but as little weight on them as possible and kept my knees at a 90-degree angle, pointed outward.

Process went like this:

0s - this ain't bad
30s - oh, my groin muscles are starting to feel it
90s - thighs starting to feel it
120s - okay thighs are tiring and my butt's dipping
150s - phew, glad that's done
Old 12-13-2018, 01:06 AM

Old 12-13-2018, 01:16 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

^^^^ Do I have to wear the bikini top if I try to do that one?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
This is impossible. I can barely get into that position.

I feel weak...as I type from my desk chair.
Just tried it 2 1/2 minutes, no problem, other than the cat rubbing against my legs making me slip out a bit.

I guess teachers who do something besides show videos to their classes and sit on their asses have an advantage here! (I'm not bitter)

Edit: Nothing against person I quoted - just venting on my own POS co-workers.

Last edited by mdeth1313; 12-13-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The first time was for 15 seconds and it was too easy, so I stood up and took a look at the picture you posted. Yup, that was right.

Second time I stuck with it and the discomfort to the groin started after 30 odd seconds. Interesting that the level of discomfort increased linearly for the next minute or so then stuck with it til the two minute mark.

I have been slincking about in crawl spaces and up in roof trusses for the past year at Habitat builds....so that probably helps
Old 12-13-2018, 08:35 AM

A built in advantage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Just tried it 2 1/2 minutes, no problem, other than the cat rubbing against my legs making me slip out a bit.

I guess teachers who do something besides show videos to their classes and sit on their asses have an advantage here! (I'm not bitter)

Edit: Nothing against person I quoted - just venting on my own POS co-workers.
You raise a very important point. Standing (or continual low grade movement) confers a myriad of health benefits - not the least of which is flexibility. The vast majority of people who work in an office environment struggle with this movement because their hip flexors, adductors, etc are perpetually contracted and underutilized.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
2:30 at which point I was starting to feel it, so I bailed. (unless I was doing it incorrectly, but I really don't think so)
Rowing and misc core stuff pays off...

Does that mean I have a cute butt?

https://www.concept2.com/news/glutes...-do-you-use-em

Certain sports give people "body memories" for various movements. If you come from a skiing or snowboarding background, the muscular endurance for this pose will be a little easier. Crew is particularly helpful, because that's very adductor focused.

Your last question is a little outside my purview
Old 12-13-2018, 08:50 AM

The catastrophic thinker in my visualizes the bench slipping out from under me and I end up getting strangled by the barbell as it rolls from my hips up my body and lands squarely on my neck!

My wife would find me days later.