Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Classics Fan

File under G, for Glutes

Going through some old men's health magazines I had and saw this. Figured some might appreciate it. Glutes are important.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glute.jpg (108.8 KB, 600 views)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:53 PM

I'd settle for being able to do that without the weight by firing my glutes...I am terrible at that.

In fact, when I saw a PT, they made it pretty clear that my cycling and running was half-a$$ed at best.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:53 PM

Did this at the gym yesterday actually. Hard to keep that bar from busting up your guts, but I'm sure this will pay off on power climbs come April.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:57 PM

Too Much Weight!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Going through some old men's health magazines I had and saw this. Figured some might appreciate it. Glutes are important.
Personally, as a personal trainer, with the recognition that the glute muscles (the piriformis in particular) are underutilized, lifting that much weight is totally unnecessary.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
half-a$$ed at best.
pun intended?
Old 12-11-2018, 02:59 PM

I'm offended. He doesn't have a shirt on.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
pun intended?
It was subtle..

Old 12-11-2018, 03:05 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Personally, as a personal trainer, with the recognition that the glute muscles (the piriformis in particular) are underutilized, lifting that much weight is totally unnecessary.
Not sure how much weight they are suggesting. There is no mention in the article. They may have used bigger plates to make it look good for the photo.

If you have a particular routine with weight recommendations for building glute strength, I'm sure people here would love to hear it.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:23 PM

On "Fitness" Magazines

Quote:
Not sure how much weight they are suggesting. There is no mention in the article. They may have used bigger plates to make it look good for the photo.

If you have a particular routine with weight recommendations for building glute strength, I'm sure people here would love to hear it.
Well, Matt, I'll preface my comments with long standing gripe: most mainstream fitness publications promulgate false archetypes. For men it's getting "JACKED!" For women, it's being "skinny." Both are utterly ludicrous and have nothing to do with fitness. It's nauseating.

That being said, most people, in their quest to develop the superficial "show" muscles, ignore their intrinsic core muscles. Start with the basics. The plank. The bridge. The body weight squat. Push-ups. (With hands wide so you're utilizing your core, and not the triceps)

I'm a big proponent of isometric and body weight exercises. Most people use far too much weight than is necessary.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Well, Matt, I'll preface my comments with long standing gripe: most mainstream fitness publications promulgate false archetypes. For men it's getting "JACKED!" For women, it's being "skinny." Both are utterly ludicrous and have nothing to do with fitness. It's nauseating.

That being said, most people, in their quest to develop the superficial "show" muscles, ignore their intrinsic core muscles. Start with the basics. The plank. The bridge. The body weight squat. Push-ups. (With hands wide so you're utilizing your core, and not the triceps)

I'm a big proponent of isometric and body weight exercises. Most people use far too much weight than is necessary.
I don't know much about weight lifting per se...I've done it in my past and here/there for 'cross season. This past 'cross season I had terrible lower back/hip flexor pain and I figured it was from a weak core/butt. I started doing unweighted squats, then kettle bell front squats...it kinda helped. Probably a fit problem tbh....that seems like a discussion for another thread.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:37 PM
Classics Fan

Compared to the usual glute bridge, I wonder if the more acute angle of the hips (when using a bench) helps with activation and/or better range of motion.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:23 PM

A few recommendations (since you asked) ...

[ATTACH]IMG_4086.jpg[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Compared to the usual glute bridge, I wonder if the more acute angle of the hips (when using a bench) helps with activation and/or better range of motion.

Hey Matt -

The issue I have with the aforementioned weighted bridge is that the impetus for the movement (given the excessive amount of weight) could be the lower back complex and not the hamstrings.

Here are a few good ways to get the glute muscles fired up.

1) Lie on the ground flat on your stomach. Arms extended, on the ground. Grip a small stability ball between your feet, raising it slightly off the ground. Squeeze. Try holding it for 30 seconds. You'll feel your entire leg complex activated, particularly your glutes, hamstrings, and adductors.

2) Another real simple exercise. I do this with many of my really athletic clients, and it just kills them. The reason? Sitting at a desk for hours on end.

Get in a squat position with your butt slightly raised, with both palms flat on the ground. Knees and feet pointed outward. This will necessitate activating the adductors (groin muscles) See the model in the photo. Try holding it for two minutes. I'd be really impressed if any Paceliners can do it. Remember to keep the feet and knees pointed outward and palms flat on the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4090.jpg (70.2 KB, 402 views)
Old 12-12-2018, 05:19 AM

I admire the creativity in coming up with stuff, but that exercise in the OP also looks pretty tough on the upper back area which will have a lot of force concentrated on one or two vertebrae as you push that weight up.

There are plenty of challenging but less potentially hurtful ways to isolate your glutes. For example, try modifying the one shown here by Mattuck with hands together pointing at the ceiling overhead (challenges your core), and then when in the bridge position, lift one leg up and extend the knee, back down, do the same on the other side 5-7x each side. Maintain the bridge the whole time without sagging or twisting.

Last edited by sailorboy; 12-12-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:43 AM

This is impossible. I can barely get into that position.

I feel weak...as I type from my desk chair.

Quote:
2) Another real simple exercise. I do this with many of my really athletic clients, and it just kills them. The reason? Sitting at a desk for hours on end.

Get in a squat position with your butt slightly raised, with both palms flat on the ground. Knees and feet pointed outward. This will necessitate activating the adductors (groin muscles) See the model in the photo. Try holding it for two minutes. I'd be really impressed if any Paceliners can do it. Remember to keep the feet and knees pointed outward and palms flat on the ground.

Instagram
Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 AM

@sparky33 I think I see your problem. You appear to be attempting that maneuver in your office. Try it in your kitchen instead like the guy in the photo. ;-)