Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 12:24 PM

OT: Linux laptops for coding apps?

Hey guys & gals,

I know there is a lot knowledge here regarding computers and writing code so I am seeking some advice on which laptop I should get.

I have been teaching myself how to write apps in Android Studio, XCode and Flutter but I'm looking for a new machine. I also want to learn how to use a Linux based OS.

I want keep the budget under $1200 and I don't care about weight.

I have been thinking about getting a System 76 with Ubuntu like this:
https://system76.com/cart/configure/kudu5

Let me know your suggestions, thanks!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:12 PM

If you ever want to write iOS Apps as well as Android, I'd suggest getting a Mac and setting it up for a dual boot into macOS and Ubuntu (or your Linux of choice) https://www.lifewire.com/dual-boot-l...mac-os-4125733

Might be a bit higher than your $1,200 budget, but you can get a new MacBook or Air for $1,300 (or Apple refurbished for $1,100)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
If you ever want to write iOS Apps as well as Android, I'd suggest getting a Mac and setting it up for a dual boot into macOS and Ubuntu (or your Linux of choice) https://www.lifewire.com/dual-boot-l...mac-os-4125733

Might be a bit higher than your $1,200 budget, but you can get a new MacBook or Air for $1,300 (or Apple refurbished for $1,100)
Yep I'm definitely considering the Macbook. I like Macs and that is what I currently use. Thanks for the link on how to dual boot!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:04 PM

Get a MacBook. Windows Subsystem for Linux is great, but yeah if you need SSH or just Unix compatibility it's the obvious answer. I don't see a lot of Pixelbooks out there. I wish more vendors would create 3:2 screens though - less scrolling.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:29 PM

I was at a dev conference last week and the keynote speaker asked for a show of hands - of the ~500 in the audience, 4 windows users, about 1/3-1/2 Linux, the rest MacOS. My company is similarly split. Our CTO has been playing with a Pixelbook running Linux apps FWIW.

If you want to develop iOS apps, the Mac is the logical choice.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:40 PM

I use a System76 17" laptop for coding, works great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 PM

System76 hardware is great but the cheapest and generally most linuxy option is the computer you already have
Old 12-10-2018, 08:17 PM
tailgunning

wow, someone who legit wants to write in flutter. never thought i'd see the day (somewhat tongue in cheek)
Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 PM

Seconding the posts on getting a MacBook. The new MacBookAir looks pretty slick.

If you're looking to get more fluent in unix-type stuff, the Mac is a good choice for day-to-day work. When you're developing on the Mac, you'll often need to use the terminal, which runs a bash shell, just like Linux, and lots of the shell command/programs are the same, or almost the same, as what you'd find on Linux.

There are some differences too (especially as you get towards the lower-level parts), but the knowledge transfers. The companies I work for and have been working for the past 10+ years all run their web infrastructure on Linux and 90+% of the developers use Macs to develop.

I don't know a ton about non-Mac laptops but the people I work with who run Linux or Windows on their laptops tend to like ThinkPads. I think they are not the cheapest laptops, but...
Old 12-10-2018, 10:18 PM

This would be my approach...

1. Find a used Macbook pro 15, with 16G or ram, SSD 256 or 512. I paid around $900 for mine.
2. OSX will take care of your xCode need.
3. Download a copy of VMPlayer from Vmware (Free last time I check), or pay for Vmware Fusion, $80.
4. Fusion/VmPlayer will take care of your Linux OS need, I used CentOS.

My 2cents.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
Hey guys & gals,

I know there is a lot knowledge here regarding computers and writing code so I am seeking some advice on which laptop I should get.

I have been teaching myself how to write apps in Android Studio, XCode and Flutter but I'm looking for a new machine. I also want to learn how to use a Linux based OS.

I want keep the budget under $1200 and I don't care about weight.

I have been thinking about getting a System 76 with Ubuntu like this:
https://system76.com/cart/configure/kudu5

Let me know your suggestions, thanks!
Old 12-10-2018, 10:42 PM

yeah, virtualization is the way to go, forget dual booting.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
yeah, virtualization is the way to go, forget dual booting.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Old 12-11-2018, 07:25 AM

I suggested dual boot as OP only wanted an Ubuntu laptop (and a Mac and dual is case he ever decided to write iOS Apps). No need to use virtualization if never using macOS.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 AM

I've got a Dell Precision 5500 which I like. Still, I was a MacBook Pro user for a long time. When the new ones with the touch bar came out, my previous Pro was on its last legs, but I didn't like the touch bar concept (Emacs user) and the non-touch laptops weren't yet out, so I switched. When the time comes to replace the Dell, I'll probably return to the Apple world. (In fact, I bought my wife a MBP 13 for Christmas a year ago.)

I agree though, that if you think you might produce anything for an Apple environment, you'll be miles ahead with a Mac of some sort.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:17 AM

If you are not doing this professionally and you are only going to dabble in iOS Apps then you could do the reverse and run the Mac in a VM from your windows machine or build a 'hacintosh.' You would be breaking the EULA though.