Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 05:49 PM

Underrated/Overrated Climbs (Rides)

Thinking about the climbs I want to tackle in 2019. My mind drifts back to some "bucket list" rides I did in the Summer of 2014, before my twin daughters were born. Most lived up to the hype and expectations. The superlatives and breathless hyperbole attached to the Crater Lake Rim ride were well deserved. There's a reason it's on most of the "Top Ten" ride lists in the U.S.

But what the rides that fell short of expectations, or the ones that exceeded them? I had both of those in the Summer of '14, and they both originated from the same place: Hood River, Oregon. (Which deserves its own place on "underrated towns" list. What a cool place.)

Underrated:

The Hood River/Columbia River Gorge Loop. Incredibly scenic and diverse with a dollop of history thrown in. Perfect ride.

Overrated:

Maybe it was because I only had three hours sleep. Or maybe it was the 90 degree plus heat. Or the traffic. Or maybe it was because my buddy the Mentor kept on lecturing me on the pratfalls of Capitalism. Whatever it was, Mt Hood was a brutal slog. Ticked it off, and I'll never ride it again.

Others?
Old 12-09-2018, 06:05 PM

All climbs are overrated
Old 12-09-2018, 06:16 PM

Ha ha.. when you said over-rated I immediately thought "Mt Hood" - it is dreadful, totally not worth it.

I certainly have not climbed them all, but I'd say most memorable for me:
Wildrose Canyon, Death Valley
Beartooth Pass, MT
Granite Pass, WY
Trail Ridge Parkway, CO
Pike's Peak, CO

(I did a 5 week climbing trip around the western US in 2017: https://dennisrides.com )

Over-rated:
Haleakala - tons of traffic.. Mauna Loa on the big island is much cooler

I love climbing.

This year I'd like to do the Owen's Valley climbs (including a dirt climb to Cerro Gordo ghost town)

If I can get a good streak of health and lose 15 pounds, I'm thinking to finally tackle the full Mauna Kea too.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:52 PM

Where's your travel radius?

The 5 Canyon Challenge ride in Salt Lake City is a local challenge by the serious climbers to climb all 5 major canyons in the valley in one day. City Creek, Emigration, Millcreek, Little Cottonwood, and Big Cottonwood. The Cottonwood Canyons are probably the most known due to the ski areas that are located on them (and the Tour of Utah finish up LC...). IMO they are both kind of boring slogs. Millcreek Canyon is the lesser talked about one that I liked riding best when I lived there.

If you have any intentions of heading east there's endless good riding in Western NC with some big-uns as far as climbs go. I think the actual Mt Mitchell climb via Strava is a bit overrated (starting in Marion NC). It's a tough climb but not really that scenic from that side...it's a bit blah. I prefer to climb to Mt Mitchell from the WNC Folk Art Center via the Blue Ridge Parkway (I also live 3/4 of a mile from the Folk Art Center...maybe a bit of bias) The road surface is better and the views are killer.

Last edited by MrCannonCam; 12-09-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post

The 5 Canyon Challenge ride in Salt Lake City is a local challenge by the serious climbers to climb all 5 major canyons in the valley in one day. City Creek, Emigration, Millcreek, Little Cottonwood, and Big Cottonwood. The Cottonwood Canyons are probably the most known due to the ski areas that are located on them (and the Tour of Utah finish up LC...). IMO they are both kind of boring slogs. Millcreek Canyon is the lesser talked about one that I liked riding best when I lived there.
And if you in Utah and doing those take the time to head an hour north and do the Powder MT climb. It's just a little ol' 6-7 mile climb.

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/93.Powder%20Mountain
Old 12-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Hood

Did you do Hood via the Highway? It is certainly over-rated.
There are other ways up Hood- Some of the off-road and BLM routes are better.

Most over-rated? I will agree with the post that said Haleakala. Boring Highway climb- Not even the best climb or ride in the area or on the Island.
You could do a trainer ride that is the same as this climb.
The only reason to climb Haleakala is if you want to check the box and say you climbed from zero to 10k in one shot.
And I even like to climb and consider myself to be an ok climber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Thinking about the climbs I want to tackle in 2019. My mind drifts back to some "bucket list" rides I did in the Summer of 2014, before my twin daughters were born. Most lived up to the hype and expectations. The superlatives and breathless hyperbole attached to the Crater Lake Rim ride were well deserved. There's a reason it's on most of the "Top Ten" ride lists in the U.S.

But what the rides that fell short of expectations, or the ones that exceeded them? I had both of those in the Summer of '14, and they both originated from the same place: Hood River, Oregon. (Which deserves its own place on "underrated towns" list. What a cool place.)

Underrated:

The Hood River/Columbia River Gorge Loop. Incredibly scenic and diverse with a dollop of history thrown in. Perfect ride.

Overrated:

Maybe it was because I only had three hours sleep. Or maybe it was the 90 degree plus heat. Or the traffic. Or maybe it was because my buddy the Mentor kept on lecturing me on the pratfalls of Capitalism. Whatever it was, Mt Hood was a brutal slog. Ticked it off, and I'll never ride it again.

Others?
Old 12-09-2018, 08:25 PM

Balch Camp to Dinkey Creek

and Mendicino Pass from Willows California

are two of the most underrated climbs I know. Mt Vision is rad but not sure it is underrated.

Here is a write up. https://abovecategorycycling.com/blo...here-mt-vision

I have to say for overrated Patten Hill Rd. I think the first climb before the first rest stop at D2R2 is tougher. Also the Marshall wall was a little disappointing.

Last edited by joosttx; 12-09-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloozoe View Post
All climbs are overrated
YES!!!!!!! I only suffered up climbs for the thrill of swooping down the back side that was usually sure to follow.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post

If you have any intentions of heading east there's endless good riding in Western NC with some big-uns as far as climbs go. I think the actual Mt Mitchell climb via Strava is a bit overrated (starting in Marion NC). It's a tough climb but not really that scenic from that side...it's a bit blah. I prefer to climb to Mt Mitchell from the WNC Folk Art Center via the Blue Ridge Parkway (I also live 3/4 of a mile from the Folk Art Center...maybe a bit of bias) The road surface is better and the views are killer.
Asheville and the Blue Ridge area are number one on my bucket list "areas." Mt. Mitchell (from Asheville), Jenkins Valley-Ox Creek, Bat Cave-Edneyville, Cherohala Skyway, etc ...
Old 12-09-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Did you do Hood via the Highway? It is certainly over-rated.
There are other ways up Hood- Some of the off-road and BLM routes are better.

Most over-rated? I will agree with the post that said Haleakala. Boring Highway climb- Not even the best climb or ride in the area or on the Island.
You could do a trainer ride that is the same as this climb.
The only reason to climb Haleakala is if you want to check the box and say you climbed from zero to 10k in one shot.
And I even like to climb and consider myself to be an ok climber.
I did Hood via Highway 26. Hot, barren, and boring as hell. I'll cross Haleakala off my list. Wasn't too high up there, anyway...
Old 12-09-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Balch Camp to Dinkey Creek

and Mendicino Pass from Willows California

are two of the most underrated climbs I know. Mt Vision is rad but not sure it is underrated.

Here is a write up. https://abovecategorycycling.com/blo...here-mt-vision

I have to say for overrated Patten Hill Rd. I think the first climb before the first rest stop at D2R2 is tougher. Also the Marshall wall was a little disappointing.
Great pics! Marshall Wall was disappointing for scenery or "toughness" factor? It's been a while since I've done it, but I recall it being pretty scenic...
Old 12-10-2018, 12:13 AM
Member?

Quote:
I did Hood via Highway 26. Hot, barren, and boring as hell. I'll cross Haleakala off my list. Wasn't too high up there, anyway...
I'm confused, you stated your ride started in Hood River, but Highway 26 does not go through Hood River. Did you mean Highway 35?

What was the ride you did that started in Hood River that you liked?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
I'm confused, you stated your ride started in Hood River, but Highway 26 does not go through Hood River. Did you mean Highway 35?

What was the ride you did that started in Hood River that you liked?
Yes. Highway 35. My error. I liked the Historic Columbia River Highway to the Dalles...
Old 12-10-2018, 02:34 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Others?
I'd name the Cime de la Bonette south side (just a grind, no beautiful road in particular), l'Alpe de Huez (ain't bad but it doesn't live up to its reputation - there are way nicer and more rewarding climbs in that area). Also the Großglockner, it may be the highest in Austria, but it is a highway up a moutain, and always 1-2° steeper than would be comfortable.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:00 AM

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1150...7i13312!8i6656

Norikura Skyline in Gifu Japan. It is closed to traffic in the summer except buses. It is a mecca for Japanese cyclists.

You can do a loop up the Skyline and down 158 back into Matsumoto.

The route out of Matsumoto is 34.5 miles , 9000 ft of climbing.
158 descent will be white knuckle with traffic and tunnels.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 12-10-2018 at 03:02 AM.