Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 09:28 AM

Thanks for sharing this, Matt--I'm open to ideas for strengthening glutes. I've spent some time doing pretty lightweight, deliberate deadlifts, but have stayed away because I had some back pain. So I've (inconsistently) stuck with bridges.

As for the XXtwindad pose: 1 minute in, I was like, "yeah, I think I'm a natural at this maybe..." At the end of 2 minutes, I was like, "Help, the burning!"
Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 AM
needs adult supervision

Yes, static exercises can be sneaky hard. Wall sits always humble me.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
[ATTACH]Attachment 1697971416[/ATTACH]

Hey Matt -

The issue I have with the aforementioned weighted bridge is that the impetus for the movement (given the excessive amount of weight) could be the lower back complex and not the hamstrings.

Here are a few good ways to get the glute muscles fired up.

1) Lie on the ground flat on your stomach. Arms extended, on the ground. Grip a small stability ball between your feet, raising it slightly off the ground. Squeeze. Try holding it for 30 seconds. You'll feel your entire leg complex activated, particularly your glutes, hamstrings, and adductors.

2) Another real simple exercise. I do this with many of my really athletic clients, and it just kills them. The reason? Sitting at a desk for hours on end.

Get in a squat position with your butt slightly raised, with both palms flat on the ground. Knees and feet pointed outward. This will necessitate activating the adductors (groin muscles) See the model in the photo. Try holding it for two minutes. I'd be really impressed if any Paceliners can do it. Remember to keep the feet and knees pointed outward and palms flat on the ground.
Tried it this morning. 30 seconds, and then another 30 seconds. yeah, I'm out of shape
Old 12-13-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Edit: Nothing against person I quoted
No offense taken.
I freely admit that while my cycling fitness is very good, I am lacking in flexibility and in diversified fitness....

Instagram
Old 12-13-2018, 06:38 PM

Lateral knee pain in left leg eventually diagnosed to weak glutes on the right side (and overcompensation on the left). If your right knee swings left of the midline on the power stroke, glute strength might be compromised. I did notice my R knee did tend to swing toward port on even climbing stairs. Now about 10 weeks into PT and a strength program and knee pain gone.