Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Boyd’s Woven Carbon Rims

"The rim’s main structure is woven as a tube, which gives them a high degree of control over fiber placement, type, and eventual thickness..."
https://bikerumor.com/prototype-boyd-woven-carbon-rim/

Silver carbon rims?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240425_163928_Chrome.jpg (83.9 KB, 499 views)
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM

Super cool US made rims that I need to own.
Old Today, 06:38 AM

That is just the reflection in the photo - they are not silver. They are black like other carbon rims.
Old Today, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
That is just the reflection in the photo - they are not silver. They are black like other carbon rims.
Indeed

I didn't see the silver question in the OP. That said they do seem a bit more reflective than other rims based on images I have seen.
Old Today, 07:08 AM
Everything is connected

The rim in the photo resembles an old Campag Hyperon.
Old Today, 08:18 AM

Don’t mean to be snarky…especially about someone who makes rims I have owned and like.

But it makes me crazy when someone claims to be first in something when they are actually late to the game.

I’d wager that they will look like the wheels Falcon Composites made for my Crumpton five years ago using the braided tech (braided tube, wax core, and RTM) that it sounds like Boyd is going to use. And Falcon was using tech that Nick C told me that it was the same tech he was involved in on the Nimble Crosswind and Fly in the ‘90’s. The article doesn’t say if Boyd will also be copying the RTM technology or if they are going to use the standard bladder technology which often leaves air voids and unevenness which is often present in carbon rims made with the usual old technology which the big names in the carbon wheel business still use.

And here is a photo of the wheels that Nick was involved in in the 90s about 30 years ago.

Last edited by htwoopup; Today at 09:08 AM. Reason: To put in Nick’s exact words from 5 years ago and photo
Old Today, 08:55 AM

Hey all,

First of all, the color in the rim is a reflection of the super bright tents and shirts we had made. I got tired of seeing aerial views of the Sea Otter show and not being able to pick out our tent. People at the show were buying the shirts literally off our backs.

Second, we are definitely not claiming to be the first, although Munich Composites GmbH in Germany is definitely the first to do this type of construction. We put together a group to acquire Munich Composites and we will be brining production to the States, while also keeping production going in Europe. Munich Composites in Germany has been making braided carbon fiber rims since 2013.

There will be a wax mandrel that the carbon gets braided directly on. This wax has very good expansion, and with the resin transfer molding the pressures are much higher compared to pre-preg. This creates a rim with no wrinkles or leftover bladder material on the inside.

We're retty excited about adding carbon fiber to our existing stateside alloy rim production.
Old Today, 08:59 AM

I didn’t see it mentioned in the press releases or on Boyd’s site, but given this is the Paceline I figured I would be the first to ask — will there be a rim-brake compatible option with these rims?
Old Today, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachboyd View Post
Hey all,

First of all, the color in the rim is a reflection of the super bright tents and shirts we had made. I got tired of seeing aerial views of the Sea Otter show and not being able to pick out our tent. People at the show were buying the shirts literally off our backs.

Second, we are definitely not claiming to be the first, although Munich Composites GmbH in Germany is definitely the first to do this type of construction. We put together a group to acquire Munich Composites and we will be brining production to the States, while also keeping production going in Europe. Munich Composites in Germany has been making braided carbon fiber rims since 2013.

There will be a wax mandrel that the carbon gets braided directly on. This wax has very good expansion, and with the resin transfer molding the pressures are much higher compared to pre-preg. This creates a rim with no wrinkles or leftover bladder material on the inside.

We're retty excited about adding carbon fiber to our existing stateside alloy rim production.
Rim brake?
Old Today, 09:29 AM

very exciting for Boyd. great question hoj.
Old Today, 09:41 AM

We will be doing rim brake rims. . .eventually.

Once all the machinery comes in we will be getting started on gradually moving all production. We have one RTM injection machine as we start which will have disc brake resin. Once we get stable and the disc brake models produced we will then swap out the resin for rim brake worthy resin.

Don't worry, we won't leave the rim brake fans hanging. . .myself included.

Also, we will be making hooked rims for road. You're welcome.
Old Today, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Once all the machinery comes in we will be getting started on gradually moving all production. We have one RTM injection machine as we start which will have disc brake resin. Once we get stable and the disc brake models produced we will then swap out the resin for rim brake worthy resin.

You’re winning me over with those words! Haha but seriously!

Really excited to see the progress on this tech and I will certainly be a customer when the rim brake option hits the market.
Old Today, 11:17 AM

Quote:

650B disc?
Old Today, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Rim brake tubulars and we can talk.
Old Today, 02:27 PM

I'll give you the history right here. Braided(or not) over (lost)wax w/RTM in a closed mold was developed in the 90's in Wichita KS by... his name escapes me and in a few days I'll remember the shops name and report back. While working with Nimble, we purchased the right to the tech and were molding the crosswind and the fly long before Y2K. The technology was being used in the aerospace industry at the time and by 2 other bike companies that I know of, Time and Cannondale. Both were in collaboration on forks using this tech. Pretty sure Cannondales last use of the tech was the six-13, the alumunum lugged bit with RTM co-molded tubes. Time of course reeks of the technology.

I'm sure there is some academic difference to claim "first", who cares if the end result is good.

Ah... Fiber Dynamics was the Company. Darren Teeter ran the place and I'm still trying to recall the engineers name. I might even be able to find a pic of us working together.

Last edited by nicrump; Today at 02:33 PM.