Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 04:43 PM

OT: Dental Care

What are folks doing during the pandemic? I’m usually in twice a year for cleaning. With a move cross country last year and Covid, it’s been a year and a half since I’ve done I anything but try to take good care of my teeth. Feel like I should establish with someone, but not sure of risk/benefit. We have at least one dentist on board. I know especially the smaller practices are struggling and I’d be glad to use their services if it’s reasonably safe. As long as it’s routine care and no drilling or other aerosolizing procedures, it seems like it ought to be reasonably safe for patient and practitioner. But I saw there’s conflict between the ADA, which says visits are ok, and either CDC or WHO who says non-emergency visits should be avoided. Many offices lack adequate ventilation systems. Anybody going in? Haven’t seen any study.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
What are folks doing during the pandemic? I’m usually in twice a year for cleaning. With a move cross country last year and Covid, it’s been a year and a half since I’ve done I anything but try to take good care of my teeth. Feel like I should establish with someone, but not sure of risk/benefit. We have at least one dentist on board. I know especially the smaller practices are struggling and I’d be glad to use their services if it’s reasonably safe. As long as it’s routine care and no drilling or other aerosolizing procedures, it seems like it ought to be reasonably safe for patient and practitioner. But I saw there’s conflict between the ADA, which says visits are ok, and either CDC or WHO who says non-emergency visits should be avoided. Many offices lack adequate ventilation systems. Anybody going in? Haven’t seen any study.
Let’s just say, I have never taken better care of my teeth since this started. Bought a great electric toothbrush, floss daily and use strong mouthwash. Not going in to any office, especially somewhere where they are so close for a prolonged period of time, for a very long time.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:07 PM

Yes, I continue to maintain all of my medical appointments, dental or otherwise.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:37 PM
I need you cool.

don't forget to floss....oh, and you need to floss more.

Yeah, I went to dentist back in June as I had scheduled the appt in December. Lots of PPG, face shields etc....oh and an extra PPG fee on the bill. But they told me that up front.

Went OK....it is a nice office and I have been going there for 25 years.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
don't forget to floss....oh, and you need to floss more.

Yeah, I went to dentist back in June as I had scheduled the appt in December. Lots of PPG, face shields etc....oh and an extra PPG fee on the bill. But they told me that up front.

Went OK....it is a nice office and I have been going there for 25 years.

Similar situation, but my dentist doesn't have a PPE fee.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:56 PM

Yep I went in August for cleaning. The tech was wearing a LOT of gear and I felt fine being there. I had also read conflicting data that said don't go for regular cleaning and absolutely do go.
Perhaps if you are an "at risk" person then the visit should wait.
I do not recall any PPE fee either. It costs plenty already.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Most dentists are doing a very good job combating COVID. Patients stay in their car until wanted inside and very thorough cleaning between patients.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:02 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Most dentists are doing a very good job combating COVID. Patients stay in their car until wanted inside and very thorough cleaning between patients.
yep....I sent them a text when I arrived, and they sent me a text to let me know when to come in.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:40 PM

I went today. No problems, The cleaning and exam were quicker than normal. I was in and out in about 30 minutes.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:41 PM

Just had my teeth cleaned yesterday!

With the Covid shutdown, my cleaning was initially cancelled.

A couple months went by and I received an e-mail reminding me they were open and ready to do business (within state guidelines, of course).

A month later I received a letter stating something similar.

Without knowing how long it would be before regular return to business, I made an appointment.

Since I don't have a cellphone (they wanted you to call from outside when you arrived), I was told to poke my head in the door and announce my arrival.

All the office staff were behind plexiglass. They wiped down everything we touched, before and after.

The hygenist had me wash my hands before I sat in the chair, and rinse with Listerine, both new procedures. She was all kitted up with a face shield and the cleaning proceeded without anything else unusual.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:45 PM

I went last month for a teeth cleaning. Everyone there is pretty well protected with PPE for sure. My dentist’s office makes you do a mouth wash with some sort of peroxide solution, which is pretty awful tasting, but apparently effective. But the big thing was that there was no mechanical polishing, which could fling stuff all over the place, so the hygienist took extra time to hand scrape and polish.

It was the best cleaning I’ve ever had in my life.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:04 PM

find/get some Piksters

the best "get the food out from between your teeth" thingy known to man. yes, floss is great but these things come in sizes that fit all your holes:

https://piksters.com/product/pikster...ack-sizes-00-7
Old 10-21-2020, 07:14 PM
Embracing my

I've been three times this year, got a new crown yesterday actually. I felt safe each time.

When I was there in April for a regular cleaning, they didn't use the sonic blaster thing, she just scraped the old fashioned way. But, the hygienist was pretty kitted up, mask and face shield. I also had to rinse with something nasty tasting.

By two weeks ago, they were back to using the blaster.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:21 PM

Yup - had a crown done ~2 months ago. No problemo. The dentist and staff were great.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:39 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Exclamation

I am continuing my regular dental care while embracing all the newest safety practices.
Now is especially the time not to get a nasty infection within inches of your brain and heart!
Be safe and cautious, yet do not completely discard important precautionary healthcare.