Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 05:01 PM

I've had a Cuisinart copper set for 20 years.
Stainless inside.
Cook great but a PITA to keep the copper pretty.

I find the cast iron just too heavy. Barely use it now.

I got a decent wok for stir fry.

Also got a de Buyer carbon steel pan for non stick cooking. Takes effort to season but better than cooking with teflon.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:16 PM

Never considered dishwashing my all-clad. At first I was shocked to read anyone would ever do this...but it seems fairly benign now that I think about it other than wasteful.

In retrospect I would only have a small and large lodge cast iron pan and use the hundreds saved on some spur cycle bells or other niche bike product. The lodge is better for cooking pretty much anything to the point I never grab the all clads or even my fancy high end cast iron from le creuset.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:35 PM

Divorced guy here who had all All-clad and then when I went bachelor I purchased a set of Williams Sonoma All-clad looking set. 3 years married and my 2nd wife cooks way, way, way ore than my first wife and she cooks better meals and together we cook a lot. In my view All-clad not worth it - also we purchased a Swiss diamond non-stick as my lady makes a lot of breakfast and what not - that has been invaluable.

nice pots and pans and knives never go in dishwasher - ever.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:43 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I have some Demeyere 5-ply pans and I really like them. They are dishwasher safe though I have never tried that. And they're made in Belgium so there's a bit of cycling tie-in.

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/demeyere
Old 10-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Rockstruck

Ive got a full overhead rack of AllClad. Got it when we got married 20+ yrs ago. Never thought of putting it in the dw—no room for pans.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post
nice pots and pans and knives never go in dishwasher - ever.
Dishwasher is reserved for bike parts, right?
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-21-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I find the cast iron just too heavy. Barely use it now.
I find it nicely substantial.

On the other hand, my wife is not pleased with the weight either, but then she doesn't spend a lot of time posting on fitness sites.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-21-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Dishwasher is reserved for bike parts, right?
No that would be the ultrasonic cleaner for her jewelry and my greasy cassettes, chains and derailleurs - it strengthens our bond.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:34 PM
Vendor

I'd see if All-Clad will warranty. I have their master chef series that includes a non-stick pan. I had it for many years and the non-stick coating eventually flaked off. All-Clad sent me a whole new pan without fuss. That said, I don't use the dishwasher for any cookware. I also stopped using non-stick pans. Almost all of my cooking is done using cast iron pans and specifically, a 12" Lodge. I avoided cast iron for a long time because of the hassle on care, but it's really not a big deal. I just re-seasoned it for the first time a few months ago and it was super easy. I'd say 99% of my cooking is covered by that 12" cast iron, a stainless steel wok, a big stainless pot for boiling water for pasta, and a dutch oven.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I'd see if All-Clad will warranty. I have their master chef series that includes a non-stick pan. I had it for many years and the non-stick coating eventually flaked off. All-Clad sent me a whole new pan without fuss. That said, I don't use the dishwasher for any cookware. I also stopped using non-stick pans. Almost all of my cooking is done using cast iron pans and specifically, a 12" Lodge. I avoided cast iron for a long time because of the hassle on care, but it's really not a big deal. I just re-seasoned it for the first time a few months ago and it was super easy. I'd say 99% of my cooking is covered by that 12" cast iron, a stainless steel wok, a big stainless pot for boiling water for pasta, and a dutch oven.
12” lodge is surely the best pan ever especially for the price. My go to.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:13 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Same....

Add a 10" cast iron - specific for fried eggs
1.5qt All Clad LTD Saucepan for oatmeal (single serving) (handwashed)
4 qt All Clad Stainless Saucepan for most sauces (this and a 2qt need replacing)
8qt stockpot for boiling water for pasta
Old 10-21-2020, 10:11 PM

I'm with Choke. Went with Demeyere Atlantis stuff and their Pro skillet. Really love their stuff. Had All Clad teflon which started to flake off so replaced pots and pans with Demeyere.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:46 PM

I have pans to last until the end of days. Several copper brands, all kinds of cast iron, All Clad stainless and some copper core All Clad, De Buyer carbon pans, various vintage stuff, Copco enameled cast iron, and on and on.

The key to what you are dealing with in those pans is some of the new detergents, especially the pods. They are much more caustic and corrosive and you can get as good a wash from a gentler machine wash cycle. Without the corrosion.

LTD pans cannot be washed with pods but do fine with gentler dishwasher detergents (especially synthetic ones), despite All Clad's warning about them. As for the rest, I have a couple copper core All Clad saucepans that get machine washed easily four times a week every week for over ten years now, and they look fine. They have a copper trim line on the side plus the top edge that could corrode, but nothing happens. When I had an extra saucepan and gave it to my ex, who uses pods, it was rotted out in six months.

Cast iron and carbon steel are subject to the same issues about washing -- both rust, both have organic coatings to protect, and both are buried in popular myths. Traditional dish detergents were very caustic and would strip the finishes from these pans, but modern Dawn dish detergent (the blue stuff, for example) doesn't kill the coating and lets you clean the pan much better. Life has changed since lye-based caustic detergents in the 1930s but we're still dealing with myths about them.

So pick your pan. All Clad are just fine. Don't use pods and use liquid dishwasher detergent.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:54 AM

Slight drift as we're sharing about cookware and dishwashing detergent... anyone else sick of ceramic cooktops? Slow and I hate cleaning it. Would rather set up my camping stove in the yard

Last edited by peanutgallery; 10-22-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:38 AM
ZhugeLiang

This is my preferred style of cooking but moved to a house that has cooktop, after a while you just get used to it...it's fine.