Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 04:20 PM

(Fixed!!!) Need help with RD adjustment

TL;DR RD installed came with bike is not right, extra one in the box works.

Setting up a new bike and it seems that I never fail to encounter RD adjustment issues.

I have a XT 1x11 with 11-46 cassette that I purchased for my Trek Cobia HT. I was able to make it work by adjusting the B screw after checking here on how to avoid hitting the largest (cogs.)

I purchased a new frame and migrated the group over. I have the same issues with the largest cogs again and even tightening the B-screw it didn't help. I then bought the Wolftooth Goatlink 11 to extend the RD hanger and now after adjusting the B screw the top pulley can clear the cassette.

However, I can't seem to shift to the largest cog. I have loosen up the L limit screw so there is no tension and it should be able to go further. From what I see it seems like I am running out of cable?

I think I am missing something obvious but not sure what...

Attach is some pictures of the set up as well as video of shifting the first 10 gears.

Video:

https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s...414342-210.mp4

Last edited by tuxbailey; 10-20-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:26 PM

Make sure you have a tight cable when chain is on the smallest cog so that you get the maximum pull at the largest one from the shifter. If the largest cog is more important than the smallest, then start at the second from smallest. Also, making sure your chain length is good for that wide of a cassette with the derailleur you are using.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
Make sure you have a tight cable when chain is on the smallest cog so that you get the maximum pull at the largest one from the shifter. If the largest cog is more important than the smallest, then start at the second from smallest. Also, making sure your chain length is good for that wide of a cassette with the derailleur you are using.
Thanks. I double/triple check that the cable tension is tight. I did remove a few chain links when adjusting for the new bike. I used the big-big rings plus two extra link method shown in Park Tool's tutorial video. I wonder if that method is not as accurate for the wide cassette.

Last edited by tuxbailey; 10-20-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:42 PM

Not really offering any advice, but Geez Louise, that is a huge jump in size from the 10th cog to the 11th cog! I'm surprised you got it to work on your previous bike.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:43 PM

On these wide 1x setups, B screw adjustment and chain length matter a lot more. Your XT derailleur looks like the long cage model no? If so you'd likely get better shifting by taking the goat link off.
I'd take it off, recheck your chain size, reset your b screw without the goat link, and check your derailleur hanger for straightness(yes even if it's new). With your chain the right length and installed right, there's no reason the b screw should not clear the 46t.
(All this assumes you have the long cage which is meant for the 46t.)
Old 10-20-2020, 04:48 PM
Vendor

I'd check that you took all the clicks out of the shifter before securing the cable bolt.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
On these wide 1x setups, B screw adjustment and chain length matter a lot more. Your XT derailleur looks like the long cage model no? If so you'd likely get better shifting by taking the goat link off.
I'd take it off, recheck your chain size, reset your b screw without the goat link, and check your derailleur hanger for straightness(yes even if it's new). With your chain the right length and installed right, there's no reason the b screw should not clear the 46t.
(All this assumes you have the long cage which is meant for the 46t.)
It is the GS cage. I am surprised that it didn't work compared to my previous bike. I even measured the RD hanger length to check that they are the same.

I bought the whole 1X set up including the cassette so it should work. Plus it did work with the old bike.

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken out the extra links until I got the RD worked out.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:42 PM

I like to set the high/low limits with the cable completely detached. Then use your hand to push the derailluer into the lowest gear then let go for it to get to the high gear. Once those are set, reconnect the cable and adjust from there.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
I like to set the high/low limits with the cable completely detached. Then use your hand to push the derailluer into the lowest gear then let go for it to get to the high gear. Once those are set, reconnect the cable and adjust from there.

Ding - ding - ding....we have a winner.

Set the limit screws with the cable disconnected and shift it with your hand. Once it's working at the top and bottom the way you like you can hook up the cable and fine tune the middle cogs.

dave
Old 10-20-2020, 08:06 PM

take that goat link off, you dont need it.

I think you're missing cable tension or off a click at the shifter. do you have any pics of the chain in the tallest/shortest gears?
Old 10-20-2020, 08:35 PM

Fixed!

So I followed the suggestion to check the RD hanger to see if it is bent. It is not. But the bike did come with a "replaceable" RD hanger.

So I compared the two and they were different. The extra one actually points straight down (6 O'Clock) while the one installed points further back at an angle (about 8 O'Clock.)

With that RD hanger installed I was able to adjust the RD to work with the stock set up. I also installed a new chain. I think the old one would have worked but I was having a hard time putting on the missing link, and I don't want to keep scratching the carbon BB shell. The new one has one extra link. Tension seems right and shifting is ok so I will just leave well enough alone.

Thank you all for the help. Another lesson learned. BTW, anyone needs a slightly used Goatlink 11?

This is the hanger that came installed. Perhaps it was meant for 2X/3X groups with less extreme cassettes?

Last edited by tuxbailey; 10-20-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:42 PM

Side question, after I changed the RD hanger, the bend of the cable right before the RD is more pronounced. Should I trim the housing a little bit?

Edit: went ahead and trim it to reduce the bend.

Last edited by tuxbailey; 10-21-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:11 AM

When you pull stumps with that large rear cog, send us some pictures. I'd love to have had that large cog on some mountains i climbed in my youth.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
When you pull stumps with that large rear cog, send us some pictures. I'd love to have had that large cog on some mountains i climbed in my youth.
Now that I am learning the ropes of mountain biking, I am amazed with all the innovations that come with the sport.

If it only has less evolving standards...
Old 10-21-2020, 08:47 AM

What cassette is that anyway? reminds me of the bailout gears that I remember seeing on older MTB's.

Have seen big range cassettes but nothing with such a massive step up.....curious to know. Thx!