Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 03:08 PM

That makes sense, I don't have a car so all rides start from the front door The beach down there in Oxnard is nice. I wonder if people are still meeting for those rides? Perhaps some people think it is an acceptable risk. I will see if any of my old friends know what going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
My thought was to cut out that stretch and just drive to the Keys and start riding from there. Those 8 miles look really boring and uninspiring. As for staying in Ventura, our dollar goes a lot farther in Oxnard. The areas we looked at in Ventura ( that we could afford ) were kind of sketchy.

Thanks for the offer! I may hit you up at some point.

Channel Island Bike club says all rides are cancelled.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:10 PM
mentholated

i dunno, shell road and all the oil derricks are pretty reminiscent of the areas around bako.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
i dunno, shell road and all the oil derricks are pretty reminiscent of the areas around bako.
oil drilling .. yeah ok
Old 10-20-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Much more bike storage! We would buy a house with a garage.

We are getting tired of condo life. Living on the 8th floor of a high rise with a dog is getting to us. HOA politics, people smoking pot and cigarettes on balconies and just condo life in general...
Steve lives in one of the nicest (if not the nicest) condo complexes in L.A. so this is saying a lot.

My wife and I were thinking about condo life recently because we could just close the door and take off for a few days/weeks without having to worry about home security. But condo life does have its downsides.

I don't know how often you would need to make it to L.A. but what about Westlake Village/Newbury Park/T-oaks? Not as cool as Oxnard but closer to the city.

It is a great time to sell in a VHCOL area like MDR. I thought we top-ticked our purchase a couple years ago @ 1,000/sf and friends/neighbors just sold their house a couple streets away for over $1,300/sf. That's what insanely-low interest rates will do to home prices.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Steve lives in one of the nicest (if not the nicest) condo complexes in L.A. so this is saying a lot.

My wife and I were thinking about condo life recently because we could just close the door and take off for a few days/weeks without having to worry about home security. But condo life does have its downsides.

I don't know how often you would need to make it to L.A. but what about Westlake Village/Newbury Park/T-oaks? Not as cool as Oxnard but closer to the city.

It is a great time to sell in a VHCOL area like MDR. I thought we top-ticked our purchase a couple years ago @ 1,000/sf and friends/neighbors just sold their house a couple streets away for over $1,300/sf. That's what insanely-low interest rates will do to home prices.
I will miss many things about the building, for sure. Security being one of them. But with my wife wanting to either slow down or retire completely, living this lifestyle just isn’t feasible.

Not worried at all about selling our 918 sq ft condo. We live in a building that many young tech people ( Space X too ) live in, because it’s so close to Silicon Beach. But after 5 years here, maybe it’s time for a change.

As for those other areas you mentioned, we really want to be close to the beach. And, I truly hate the heat. It gets very hot there...
Old 10-20-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
snippage ...

1300/sf !!! I knew L.A. Real Estate prices were heating up, but that is freakin' unbelievable!
Old 10-20-2020, 05:08 PM

My inlaws are right around that area SocalSteve is shopping, near Vic/vons

That road leading out of OXN to Ventura is a highway, and not that fun... but once underway towards Ojai or Carp, or even up Gibraltar over in SB is great.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I get that. Probably ride early or do an ocean ride on those days. Wouldn’t stay or ride in Ojai, just turn around and head back down to the cooler coast.

Funny, I never did ask about the “ riding in the area“. Just asked about group riding or people who’d want to ride with this 62 year old geezer.

Anyone, anyone?
Interested to ride with ya! I'm down in Santa Barbara though, but it's not a far drive
Old 10-20-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonification View Post
Interested to ride with ya! I'm down in Santa Barbara though, but it's not a far drive
Awesome! Love that...
Old 10-20-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
The areas we have looked at in and around The Colony at Mandalay Bay and Seabridge Marina are pretty amazing. At Seabridge they built an entire planned community in and around a marina. Tons of walking paths, shops, stores, etc. Some homes and townhomes with their own docks go for well over a million.
Sounds a bit like Coronado Cays.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:

The retired Realtor in me forces me to comment. Condominium describes a means of taking title to real estate not architectural design. They can be apartments, townhomes, and even free-standing houses within a common area development. Quite a few people like not having to worry about exterior maintenance or gardening but don't want to be in an apartment. Leslie and I live in a townhouse with one common wall and a private patio and there is a city park abutting our complex which serves as a nice "backyard".
Old 10-20-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
ventura is bakersfield but by the ocean.
Yeah, I've alternately called it Ventucky or Kentura, but overall, it's a pretty fun little town.

I've got family in the Pierpont area and have done plenty of rides, but haven't hooked up with any groups on a regular basis.

I do like Ventura - Oakville (?) - Lake Casitas - Casitas Pass - PCH bike path back home as a good route...
Old 10-20-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
The areas we have looked at in and around The Colony at Mandalay Bay and Seabridge Marina are pretty amazing. At Seabridge they built an entire planned community in and around a marina. Tons of walking paths, shops, stores, etc. Some homes and townhomes with their own docks go for well over a million.
What was there 20 years ago? Military base or wetlands?
Old 10-21-2020, 12:36 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
ojai has the best riding in ventura county.
Not arguing, though now that they've repaved Yerba Buena, Cotharin, and Deer Creek the VC climbing near county line is mighty fine.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
What was there 20 years ago? Military base or wetlands?
the new construction in that area is moving into farm land. I think it has been 50 years since someone built on wetlands in that area. There is a big CB base located close but I can't imagine they will give that thing up.