Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 10:41 AM

Ventura/Oxnard, CA who lives and rides there?

Hi all,

We are thinking of making a move out of the city and we like the Oxnard/Ventura area very much. I know, in the past ( before Covid ) there was a very enthusiastic bike club (s) in the area who did group rides. Channel Islands bike club comes to mind.

Are people still getting together to do group rides or is it mostly solo at this point? Just curious as I mostly rode alone until my long time riding buddy ( we rode on Sunday’s only ) started working from home ( and had very little work ) so, I have spent the last 7 months riding with him about 4 days a week and am enjoying it a lot. Not sure how I feel about riding solo anymore.

As always, thank you in advance,

Steve
Old 10-20-2020, 10:51 AM
mentholated

ojai has the best riding in ventura county.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
Yeah, this I know! In a previous life ( different wife who loved to road cycle ) we would spend time in Ojai/Ventura riding daily. Rent a house and ride with the retired group riders from Channel Island Bike club, I believe. Great group of riders and lots of fun and scenic rides.

Too bad Covid put and end to organized group rides. Just curious if people are still riding in groups in the area or anyone looking for a ( not super fast ) 62 year old dude to ride with, if we end up moving there.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:03 AM
Administrator

wow Steve, i didnt think you'd ever be considering leaving the mdr life! such a sweet spot you have there. i get it though.

this could mean more bike storage!
Old 10-20-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
wow Steve, i didnt think you'd ever be considering leaving the mdr life! such a sweet spot you have there. i get it though.

this could mean more bike storage!
Much more bike storage! We would buy a house with a garage.

We are getting tired of condo life. Living on the 8th floor of a high rise with a dog is getting to us. HOA politics, people smoking pot and cigarettes on balconies and just condo life in general...

Plus, it’s super expensive to live in paradise... My wife is thinking of slowing down ( or ending her career ) as a lawyer and the cost of housing, etc is so much cheaper outside the 310 area code.

The area we are thinking of moving to ( Oxnard ) is close to the ocean and has its own Marina. We would move from one marina to another...
Old 10-20-2020, 11:21 AM
mentholated

pretty much every bike group in the areas default route is down pch to carpinteria and back. its flat and boring as hell.
one thing that kinda sucks about the area is that its mostly just out and back routes. not alot of choices to make a loop out of something.
you can go ventura - carp - ojai - ventura via the 150/33 or ventura -ojai - santa paula - ventura.
riding the 33 to rose valley or even the pine mtn summit is a good out and back.
too many semis drive thru the roads by the agriculture fields of oxnard and camarillo.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:27 AM

born and raised in Oxnard... I'd rather live in the hills of Ventura, but then again I'm from the Southside.

PCH is close and many hills to chose from... little bit longer haul from Ventura
Old 10-20-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
Agreed, but holy crap it's not rideable 1/4 of the year in the summer. I wouldn't want to live there. And I don't really get why so many cyclists just love cruising up and down highway 150, a 2-lane highway with neck high ditches, for horse trailers, tourists, and families piled up in SUVs heading off for the weekend.

The road riding around here is great overall. My problem with living in Ventura is you can't seem to escape the hum of the 101 unless you can afford to live in the hills. But it's a last bastion gritty SoCal beach town with authentic charm. Road rides can take you north to Santa Barbara, south to Malibu, east to Ojai, it's all pretty cool.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Agreed, but holy crap it's not rideable 1/4 of the year in the summer. I wouldn't want to live there. And I don't really get why so many cyclists just love cruising up and down highway 150, a 2-lane highway with neck high ditches, for horse trailers, tourists, and families piled up in SUVs heading off for the weekend.

The road riding around here is great overall. My problem with living in Ventura is you can't seem to escape the hum of the 101 unless you can afford to live in the hills. But it's a last bastion gritty SoCal beach town with authentic charm. Road rides can take you north to Santa Barbara, south to Malibu, east to Ojai, it's all pretty cool.
Why isn’t it rideable 1/4 of the year? I’d ride from Oxnard to the Ojai bike trail, up to Ojai and back down the coast. This would be my go to ride. Maybe flat sometimes to Carpentaria, probably rarely to Malibu.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Why isn’t it rideable 1/4 of the year? I’d ride from Oxnard to the Ojai bike trail, up to Ojai and back down the coast. This would be my go to ride. Maybe flat sometimes to Carpentaria, probably rarely to Malibu.
I'm exaggerating, but it's HOT. On any given summer day it will be +20 degrees over Ventura. Lots of 100+ degree days in Ojai that are just brutal.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
I'm exaggerating, but it's HOT. On any given summer day it will be +20 degrees over Ventura. Lots of 100+ degree days in Ojai that are just brutal.
Yeah, I get that. Probably ride early or do an ocean ride on those days. Wouldn’t stay or ride in Ojai, just turn around and head back down to the cooler coast.

Funny, I never did ask about the “ riding in the area“. Just asked about group riding or people who’d want to ride with this 62 year old geezer.

Anyone, anyone?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:06 PM

How about Cambria?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Yeah, I get that. Probably ride early or do an ocean ride on those days. Wouldn’t stay or ride in Ojai, just turn around and head back down to the cooler coast.

Funny, I never did ask about the “ riding in the area“. Just asked about group riding or people who’d want to ride with this 62 year old geezer.

Anyone, anyone?
Ha, I'll for sure ride with you as long as you're good with roads like this and stopping for avocados and citrus (pics taken yesterday in Santa Paula).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg citrus.JPG (119.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Zetti.jpg (50.8 KB, 116 views)
Old 10-20-2020, 01:19 PM
mentholated

mountains on all four sides means the heat is really trapped in. i lived there for about 20 years before leaving for the san fernando and san gabriel valleys which are as equally hot but for different reasons.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:23 PM
mentholated

ventura is bakersfield but by the ocean.