Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 07:30 PM
slower than you

I'm guessing if that car hits a cyclist at that speed, the poor cyclist would just vaporize.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:56 PM

Interesting. Does anyone know if the Seasucker would hold at those speeds?
Old 10-20-2020, 05:08 AM

I like that SSC is an American company. Bugatti took the crown, we took it back...
Old 10-20-2020, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthornt View Post
'Production car'..what a hoot...
Quote:
The Tuatara starts at $1.9 million. The first production run of 12units for 2021 has already been sold. (1) In order to qualify for a record title, the car must be a production vehicle identical to the same vehicle a customer might purchase
Reminds me of the hey-day of military aircraft 'records, like time to climb and closed loop speed of 'production' aircraft..these were massaged and tweaked and even waxed to make them more slippery....
Quote:
I like that SSC is an American company. Bugatti took the crown, an american company took it back...
FIFY

Quote:
The style and presence of the white concept Tuatara created quite a stir when shown at Pebble Beach in 2011. Designed by the talented-but-bizarre Jason Castriota of SAAB and Fiat fame, the Tuatara most closely resembles the 2006 Maserati Birdcage 75th concept car in its smooth flowing panels and deep, milky-white paint finish.
Bugatti..owned by Volkswagen...DOH!!

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-20-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I'm guessing if that car hits a cyclist at that speed, the poor cyclist would just vaporize.
I’m not going to lie, I’d be interested to see a crash simulator of a car with this shape at 330mph rear end a cyclist. Not to be morbid but because I’m curious if it would just become a ramp launching the cyclist in to orbit.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
My hometown is the endpoint of the A95 Autobahn München Garmisch, Autobahn known for low traffic, no speed limit and "the flow". Therefore, there are travel agencies bringing in wealthy people to have a go.

We count a few dozen wrecked supercars, not to mention a couple of dead innocent people, every year. I have no sympathy for grown men behaving like spoilt 12 year Olds.

That’s one of the areas I never drive fast there’s just too much to see.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:10 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Cool car! I totally dig the celeste helmet the driver selected, too.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:24 AM

Why in the world would someone name a car Tuat Ara? I'm I the only one that finds that odd?
Old 10-20-2020, 08:42 AM

Looking forward getting buzzed by that in the near future on my paradise valley road routes.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:52 AM

Remarkable achievement, even if it's not really what I'd consider a production car. I am told it was on standard Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and I'd be surprised if Michelin is OK with that. No way those tires are engineered to go 330+ MPH.
"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" -Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI

Old 10-20-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
With gas prices so low, I’m tempted.
Here's a couple of things to ponder...while these details are specific to the Bugatti, I'd guess that the metrics are similar (or slightly higher, given the higher top speed) or the record setting vehicle:

From the Robb Report (always an unbiased source of automotive truths....)
An unadulterated, full speed run in the Veyron would only last 15 minutes and would cost more than $42,000.

Technically, you’d only make it 12 minutes, because the 26.4-gallon fuel tank would be empty at that point. However, even if you had enough road—the Veyron can do 253 mph, meaning it covers 4.21 miles a minute. You would need 50.6 miles of road to keep your foot buried for 12 minutes. But the Veyron’s tires wouldn’t last. They’re only good enough for running at 250 mph for about fifteen minutes. After that, Bugatti would need to swap them for a new set, which reportedly will set you back a whopping $42,000.
And you thought Clement Criterium Setas were expensive!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-20-2020, 09:06 AM

Isn’t the Tuatara a little lizard from New Zealand?

I don’t get the focus on top speed in these cars. It’s super dangerous, the car is only vaguely production, it’s not impressive compared to the salt flats, etc.

If I had that kind of money my thrill machine would go faster and have wings. But that takes a lot more work/training/rule following. That said I took some flying lessons and that’s a PITA too.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Here's a couple of things to ponder...while these details are specific to the Bugatti, I'd guess that the metrics are similar (or slightly higher, given the higher top speed) or the record setting vehicle:

From the Robb Report (always an unbiased source of automotive truths....)
An unadulterated, full speed run in the Veyron would only last 15 minutes and would cost more than $42,000.

Technically, you’d only make it 12 minutes, because the 26.4-gallon fuel tank would be empty at that point. However, even if you had enough road—the Veyron can do 253 mph, meaning it covers 4.21 miles a minute. You would need 50.6 miles of road to keep your foot buried for 12 minutes. But the Veyron’s tires wouldn’t last. They’re only good enough for running at 250 mph for about fifteen minutes. After that, Bugatti would need to swap them for a new set, which reportedly will set you back a whopping $42,000.
And you thought Clement Criterium Setas were expensive!
The Bugatti uses tubeless clinchers. It doesn’t even spec silk tubulars. Shameful.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:26 AM

If you watch the video embedded in the article, the driver seems to have a very casual attitude about doing something where the smallest miscalculation would probably be fatal.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:12 AM

Yah I'm curious about the safety features of the car. The driver seems nuts.

It's travelling at speeds that most race sanctioning bodies have decided are impossible/impractical to make safe at any budget. (F1 would never go for a 250mph car even I think.)

Realistically it needs to have a zero altitude ejection seat out of a fighter plane or something.

I wonder what the stopping distance is..

On the flipside these speeds are also not that ridiculous compared to dragsters. There are dragsters that hit 300mph in the quarter mile. But those don't usually do too well in accidents IIRC and the drag strips are stupid to let them run.. they usually don't have safe run off to prevent a fatal accident in the case of a parachute or brake failure.

Last edited by benb; 10-20-2020 at 10:18 AM.