Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2020, 03:42 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
Budget $3k - $10k. I look forward to your opinions.
With the budget ceiling that could climb to the mid hi end, I'd get Ti. It addresses, durability, especially of finish, and weight maybe over steel, not carbon. Will take a kicked up rock well.

I hear the argument for MTN carbon being OK for years and years, so get carbon. But MTB don't have quite the low BB of gravel bike, not even close...

If you don't need too zoot, Lynskey currently@20% Off Sitewide
Old 10-14-2020, 03:47 PM
Meh

I'll put in a plug for the Scarab Páramo here:

https://www.scarabcycles.com/paramo-gravel

Pricing on completes is extremely competitive for full-custom geometry and semi-custom paint. Tire clearance is voluminous - 700x45 or 650bx2.1" fits easily. Workmanship is top-notch, customer service is responsive. Plus you're supporting working artisans in Colombia - a great cause!
Old 10-14-2020, 03:47 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I'm with Joevers on this one, with one sorrta exception - I'd love to throw a leg over a Seven Evergreen Pro - carbon tubes with ti lugs.

Otherwise Max Kullaway (333Fab) knows Northwest backroads and does steel and ti versions of the Air Land Sea (all custom now), Dave Levy - often overlooked and in Portland, Brad Bingham (direct or through Hamsten - Il Mostro model), Seven - very quick turnaround right now, Mosaic, No. 22. Lot of metal builders killing it in this category - and just remembered - Rene Herse posted an English (Eugene based) steel gravel bike that came in under 16 pounds on their instagram yesterday....
Old 10-14-2020, 03:49 PM

Get a Habby ti

https://www.habcycles.com/cross.html

Titanium. Lots of options. You could even go custom for only about $1500 for the frame.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I'm with Joevers on this one, with one sorrta exception - I'd love to throw a leg over a Seven Evergreen Pro - carbon tubes with ti lugs.

Otherwise Max Kullaway (333Fab) knows Northwest backroads and does steel and ti versions of the Air Land Sea (all custom now), Dave Levy - often overlooked and in Portland, Brad Bingham (direct or through Hamsten - Il Mostro model), Seven - very quick turnaround right now, Mosaic, No. 22. Lot of metal builders killing it in this category - and just remembered - Rene Herse posted an English (Eugene based) steel gravel bike that came in under 16 pounds on their instagram yesterday....
Welp I support all of these too. Special attention to the air land sea or anything 333Fab does. Does not build up light but if OP is riding around Mt hood or camping in the Dalles, you'd be hard pressed to find a more thoughtfully designed bike.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:54 PM

I recently went through this same dilemma and it’s a long sad tale but I ended up going custom Ti. I, like you, have steel and Ti road bikes and I previously had a Ti gravel bike (I’ve had plenty of carbon road bikes and a MTB over the years as well) so we have a seemingly similar starting point. The thing I kept coming back to was the durability and ride quality of Ti on gravel. Obviously, ride quality can vary quite a bunch depending on the Ti frame but given that custom is an option my advice would be custom Ti. Options abound but that’s a conversation for another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2020, 04:34 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Does not build up light but if OP is riding around Mt hood or camping in the Dalles, you'd be hard pressed to find a more thoughtfully designed bike.
My Air Land Sea XL. frame with Seven Matador fork and non weight weenie build based on his stock package weighs 22 lbs. Not light but only 2 pounds more than my Sachs steel road bike. Different story with the steel low trail fork though - that fork is a beast, a beauty, but a beast.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:39 PM

Kirk007, that's a great suggestion from 333 fab with the Land & Sea. I wasn't aware Max now makes it available in Ti. Madscience who did you have build you you Ti gravel? How do you like it?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Kirk007, that's a great suggestion from 333 fab with the Land & Sea. I wasn't aware Max now makes it available in Ti. Madscience who did you have build you you Ti gravel? How do you like it?

That’s a post for later this year/early next in the custom bikes section of the forum

Old 10-14-2020, 10:57 PM

https://22bicycles.com/pages/drifter/
Old 10-14-2020, 11:21 PM

No22 looks like business.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:25 PM

With your budget I would either stay with something high end carbon with a nice build, something like a Santa Cruz Stigmata or Ibis Hakka, or spring for titanium. If you wanted something stock, the Moots Route 45 has clearance for 700x50c. I recently had Brad Bingham build me a custom gravel bike with clearance for 29x2.3 tires. Just some options to consider. You’ll probably be happy no matter which way you go.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:41 AM

Looking for first Gravel/All Road bike

Quote:
No22 looks like business.

That was what I went went with 3 years ago. If you plan on keeping the bike for a long time and want something that is unique as well as finely crafted put an order in! The level of craftsmanship and detail on these bikes is top shelf!

I only sold mine because I picked up one of their hardtails. The Drifter is an insanely great bike!

Old 10-15-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Merlinmurphy,
All good questions. I live in Oregon and there are lots of gravel fire roads around where I live but there are also dirt and heavy forested routes near by. Tire clearance 38 - 40 minimum. I would love to stay in the $4k - $6k range if possible but be tempted to spend more for a pedigreed brand.
From what I've seen, that's a fantastic area with remote roads.

Good luck, lots of great choices.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:29 AM

My girlfriend is about to buy a stigmata. It seems like overall the best choice. The salsas are promising but the fork recal issue is a deal breaker. The Hakka is probably good but the hand job ia stupid and the fender mounts are stupid. It’s also stiffer than the stigmata. Besides that there are some $$$ ti bikes (meh) and some nice steel bikes (not sure on these cause I’m sold on carbon).