Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 10-08-2020, 01:50 PM

SRAM chainring change

Hello all,

I would like to increase the size of the chainring on my new Specialized Diverge Base Carbon... it is a SRAM Apex, and from the specs I see that I should be able to take it from the stock 40T to 42 or 44. I seem to be spending all my time in the top three gears, and I can't go as fast as I would like.

Can anyone recommend a place to get a new ring and chain at a reasonable price? Is there anything else I need to watch out for? Thanks.

Specs from the chart:

CASSETTE Sunrace, 11-speed, alloy spider, 11-42t
CRANKSET SRAM Apex 1x GXP
CHAINRINGS 40T
BOTTOM BRACKET Sram GXP
CHAIN KMC X11 Extra Lightweight, 11-speed
Old 10-08-2020, 02:52 PM

Sram makes 42 and 44t chainrings for your crank. They're 110 bcd, 4 bolt, narrow wide chainrings if you're looking aftermarket. I think a common answer you're going to get is "pedal faster" if you want to go faster. You should never be spinning out the 40x11 on the flats. It might help to work on your cadence. 40x11 should not "spin out" until about 35 mph. That's fast for anything but serious on road descents.

You could also get a smaller cassette, something like an 11/32 or 11/34. It will not give you a higher gear, it will give you a less-easy low gear, but it will have closer steps between gears than your 11-42. Maybe you want to do this even if you change your chainring.

Also, questions like this belong best in the general discussion.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:08 PM

faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
I think a common answer you're going to get is "pedal faster" if you want to go faster.
Ha! That is a perfectly valid answer. The best I have been able to do on flats is about 25 MPH. At 65 years old that may be all I've got.

Tags
chainring