Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 08-23-2020, 01:29 PM

Upper Body Mass Contribution to Ideal Frame Geometry

Hi,

As my experience is limited to only one subject (myself) I would really appreciate some of the collective feedback from the forum.

If you are dealing with someone who is a lot more heavily muscled in the upper body than the average cyclist, how does that effect the ideal geometry of the frame that would fit that individual best?

For myself I have found that I need a lot more setback than many frame/seatpost combinations allow. This is despite being slightly shorter femured than average. Problem is that many manufacterers have gone to steeper STA like 73-74 deg, and it's getting difficult to find frames in 72 STA in a 56-58 TT. This makes it difficult to get the amount of setback required to keep pressure on the hands to a manageable level.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2020, 03:12 PM

A heavily muscled upper body has no bearing on seat angle.

If you want to keep "pressure on the hands to a manageable level" you need a more upright riding position.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bike View Post
Hi,

As my experience is limited to only one subject (myself) I would really appreciate some of the collective feedback from the forum.

If you are dealing with someone who is a lot more heavily muscled in the upper body than the average cyclist, how does that effect the ideal geometry of the frame that would fit that individual best?

For myself I have found that I need a lot more setback than many frame/seatpost combinations allow. This is despite being slightly shorter femured than average. Problem is that many manufacterers have gone to steeper STA like 73-74 deg, and it's getting difficult to find frames in 72 STA in a 56-58 TT. This makes it difficult to get the amount of setback required to keep pressure on the hands to a manageable level.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks
I had a similar experience, though I wouldn't swear the extra mass is muscle. Perhaps this post could help?
Old 09-13-2020, 06:22 PM

Shouldn't affect general fit.

May affect bar height is there's an issue with flexibility and/or too much weight on the hands. But the weight on hands issue is more related to core strength than anything else.