Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 08-16-2020, 06:05 PM

Seeking road bike for 5'3" wife 28" bike inseam -- scoliosis

Hi, I'm a first time poster (but regular reader) to Paceline, so I hope you'll bear with me. My wife has scoliosis and some years ago had a successful (but painful) procedure to insert a titanium rod in her spine that limits her mobility. She is very strong and fit despite that and loves recreational biking, though she does need upright handlebars. She'd like to ride more, but her cbike is a heavy (34 lbs!), clunky hybrid bike with fairly poor quality components. I would like to find her a better bike, maybe steel or titanium -- aluminum may also be OK, if it's more forgiving than the norm -- that will be lighter and have much better components (say, Tiagra or 105 or above). Titanium might be ideal given its forgiving reputation but it's obviously pricey. I'd also love recommendations for high-quality handlebars that also upright. That last factor seems to be a particular challenge. Local bike shops (we're in Hudson Valley, NY for the summer) are limited and the new models are sold out. She's 5'3" and has a bike inseam of 28", so maybe around a size 50. A compact frame with a sloping top tube would be ideal, but it needn't be a "woman's bike". For now, I'd say we have a budget of $1500 for a used bike. Thank you very much for any suggestions!
Old 08-16-2020, 10:23 PM

Keep your eyes open on Paceline, ebay, Craigslist ect. I bought my wife a used Moots frame in hopes that she would ride with me once in a while and she loves her bike. I spent about 3k for frame and build up but she loves her Moots. Older titanium bikes ride just like they did new. So if your budget can be stretched I would be looking for a used ti bike.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:42 PM
v a n i l l a

My daughter is 5'3" and is on a 48cm specialized Ruby that I bought off local CL.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:02 PM

I've had an offer of an excellent bike from Winter Cycles but no general advice. Especially interested in opinions/advice about upright handlebars, which she;ll need, that are high quality and lightweight, if such a thing exists. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullock View Post
I've had an offer of an excellent bike from Winter Cycles but no general advice. Especially interested in opinions/advice about upright handlebars, which she;ll need, that are high quality and lightweight, if such a thing exists. Thank you!
Do you mean something like Ergon GP5's, which are essentially barend grips/extensions? Lots of similar can be had in the $10 range if bare metal is all you need. I've seen some made of titanium before, but they're pretty rare. I've got some nice carbon ones too.

A compact frame might be the way to go. Lots of good deals to be had on ebay. I see no problem saving money on a used bike if it fits the bill, especially if you're able to do much of the tuning and maintenance by yourself. With new bikes at shops being hard to find this year, even more reason to consider buying used!
Old 08-20-2020, 03:26 PM

Thank you very much, all, excellent advice! I'm looking at Moots myself so Ti is definitely on my radar, if maybe a bit over budget. I didn't know about the Ergon grips but they look promising, so thank you. And I think compact frames would be great. Her hybrid has one of those low step-over tubes and I'm thinking compact wouldn't be too, too different.

Of course she'd prefer to test ride bikes but there's nothing appropriate in stock, even for window shopping.

I love buying used and have had good results, so I'm happy to do that, along with basic maintenance. Would it make sense to have her do a fitting even without a bike in hand? And if anybody has something appropriate that they'd consider selling, please hit me up!

Btw we're up in the country (Dutchess County in NY) for the summer and possibly beyond, so our biking opportunities are especially good. So she'd definitely get a lot of use out of it. The hybrid mostly stays inside.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:59 AM
ZhugeLiang

Can you post a picture of your wife's current bike?

I think I can give some better suggestions after seeing it.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullock View Post
Thank you very much, all, excellent advice! I'm looking at Moots myself so Ti is definitely on my radar, if maybe a bit over budget. I didn't know about the Ergon grips but they look promising, so thank you. And I think compact frames would be great. Her hybrid has one of those low step-over tubes and I'm thinking compact wouldn't be too, too different.

Of course she'd prefer to test ride bikes but there's nothing appropriate in stock, even for window shopping.

I love buying used and have had good results, so I'm happy to do that, along with basic maintenance. Would it make sense to have her do a fitting even without a bike in hand? And if anybody has something appropriate that they'd consider selling, please hit me up!

Btw we're up in the country (Dutchess County in NY) for the summer and possibly beyond, so our biking opportunities are especially good. So she'd definitely get a lot of use out of it. The hybrid mostly stays inside.
On compact frames, it's the same effect, though not as pronounced as it is for a comfort/hybrid bike (mostly targeting the older crowd). With a 30" inseam, I'm on the shorter side, and I feel more at home on a compact when available (gives me the most seatpost sticking out--important for light and bag attachment).

I only mentioned the Ergon's because they're about the most visible option on the market, and it's something you'll easily find at REI during their numerous garage sales (maybe not this year!), if you ever go to those. I've picked up a few dirt cheap--haven't found the right build for them yet. Plenty of cheaper versions out there. Might check aliexpress for similar.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:47 AM

I have a pretty upright position on my Big Dummy, and I use what Rivendell calls the Nitto Albatross bars on that bike. What I particularly like is that the ID is road bike size, so Dura Ace bar end shifters fit. Brake levers I think are Avid Speed Dial IIRC (not home at the moment.) I think those bars have a 25.4 clamp size.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:54 PM

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I am watching for a bike or frameset that will work -- probably a frame size of around 48-50, but with any luck we can test ride in the NY/NYC area. We may also see about a fitting at ACME the next time we're back in Brooklyn (though that's $400--city prices!)

Tags
road bike, scoliosis, woman