Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

View Poll Results: What size Orbea Avant M40 would be a good fit?
49 0 0%
50 0 0%
51 2 50.00%
53 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2020, 12:53 AM

Orbea Avant M40 Size 53 Bike Fit Question

I’m 5’9” inches tall with an inseam of 30”
Will an Orbea Avant M40 size 53 be a good fit?
Old 06-06-2020, 12:16 PM
Vendor

I'd like to help but...

Last edited by rain dogs; 06-07-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I spoke to two independant Orbea Bike Dealers and they both said that a size 53 frame would fit perfectly.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:26 AM
Vendor

... meh.

Last edited by rain dogs; 06-07-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:20 PM

Likely a 53cm. Are you the type of rider who needs a good amount of front end stack? The stack on this bike is pretty tall.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:58 PM

The mechanic at the bike shop said that the Orbea Avant M40 is an endurance bike with a higher stack. I test rode the bike a few days ago and it felt real comfortable on the handlebars but it felt like I was stretching too much when I had my hands on the hoods, little soreness in my back. He said he would need to bring the stem closer so my hands would be on the hoods without feeling like I’m stretching for the hoods. I am 5’9” and an my inseam is 31”. He said a size 51 would be too small and feel like I’m scrutched up. This is my first real road bike and I would like to get the correct size. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburg View Post
The mechanic at the bike shop said that the Orbea Avant M40 is an endurance bike with a higher stack. I test rode the bike a few days ago and it felt real comfortable on the handlebars but it felt like I was stretching too much when I had my hands on the hoods, little soreness in my back. He said he would need to bring the stem closer so my hands would be on the hoods without feeling like I’m stretching for the hoods. I am 5’9” and an my inseam is 31”. He said a size 51 would be too small and feel like I’m scrutched up. This is my first real road bike and I would like to get the correct size. Thanks.
51! The reach difference between the 53 and 51 is 7,5mm.

Have you tried the 51cm?
Old 06-08-2020, 07:19 PM

The bike store I’m dealing with unfortunately doesn’t have a size 51 frame Orbea Avant M40. So I wasn’t able to test ride a 51 frame size. They only have the size 53 left. I’ve been searching around my area as well as out of state for bike shops that might have an Orbea Avant M40 with rim brakes but no luck. A lot of bike shops have no inventory left or very little and I had no luck finding a 51 Orbea Avant M40. The bike shop that I am dealing with ordered a different stem and the mechanic said it will bring the hoods closer which will alleviate the reach issue. Do you think with the different stem being installed will this alleviate the hood issue. I told him Orbeas website recommends a 51 for my measurements. He said his shop has been selling Orbeas for several years and the size 51 will be too small and the ride would be uncomfortable. Thanks again for all your input.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:11 PM

curious why you're glued to that particular model; you seem to be in between sizes. Usually it's not a big deal and you err on one side or the other, but your body type (short legs for your height) and experience level (probably not ready for the slammed stem yet) make for a less than ideal compromise. How old are you? younger bodies are more flexible. anyway, I have similar body type: 5'9", 30" inseam. I would go with the 51 because I've been riding almost 40 years and the 53 has too tall of a head tube and too long of a top tube, so unable to get bars low enough plus too much reach for me. If you are new-ish you will probably prefer the taller head tube of the 53, but it does have a fairly long top tube at almost 55. The head tube on the 51 is a little short for less experienced, less aggressively set up riders, but the top tube is better suited for your size. My first advice would be "keep looking" as in maybe find another brand/model that suits you better. If you want the orbea, you'll have to decide between using a more upright stem on the 51 and a racier position; or use a shorter than ideal stem on the 53 (that will only be allowed to drop a little bit should you begin to adapt to a more aggressive racier position and it's still a long bike--really closer to a 55) Is this the disc model? Those hoods also tend to be bit longer (more reach) than back in the day. for what it's worth, the endurance geometries work better for people with long legs and short torso (or average types)--not short legged. Without seeing you or knowing your age/fitness/desired riding type, this is all conjecture, but I would just say don't be afraid of traditional road/racing geometry; it developed over decades as an all around fit for road riders, even those doing long distance and not racing.

ps this opinion is worth every penny you paid for it; my best advice is to find a good shop who will fit you properly and buy whatever brand they sell. a bike that doesn't fit isn't a bargain at any price, no matter how well spec'd or reviewed. fit the bike to you, not you to the bike
Old 06-09-2020, 12:20 AM

I’ve gravitated towards the Orbea Avant M40 because I am looking for an endurance road bike with a tiagra groupset or a 105 groupset and Orbea has what I am looking for. I’ve road tested Endurance Trek Bikes, Specialized, Fuji, but didn’t like these bikes. A lot of the bike manufactures are now incorporating disc brakes into a large majority of their bikes which makes it harder for someone like me who prefers rim brakes. I’m 50 years old and currently ride a steel 1970’s Nishiki road bike, shifters on the down tube. I’m looking to purchase an endurance road bike and I’m in pretty good shape. I currently ride roughly 50 miles a week. The Orbea Avant M40 size 53 I’m looking at is the rim brake model with the shimano tiagra groupset. I have attached photo of bike.
You mentioned in your response to look towards road/racing geometry. Can you recommend bikes with this geometry that would fit my measurements which would give me an endurance ride? Thanks again for your great input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E3FF1DA1-D2C8-4328-8074-B67FC98E90FB.jpg (56.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 06-09-2020, 11:26 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburg View Post
The bike store I’m dealing with unfortunately doesn’t have a size 51 frame Orbea Avant M40. So I wasn’t able to test ride a 51 frame size. They only have the size 53 left. I’ve been searching around my area as well as out of state for bike shops that might have an Orbea Avant M40 with rim brakes but no luck. A lot of bike shops have no inventory left or very little and I had no luck finding a 51 Orbea Avant M40. The bike shop that I am dealing with ordered a different stem and the mechanic said it will bring the hoods closer which will alleviate the reach issue. Do you think with the different stem being installed will this alleviate the hood issue. I told him Orbeas website recommends a 51 for my measurements. He said his shop has been selling Orbeas for several years and the size 51 will be too small and the ride would be uncomfortable. Thanks again for all your input.
I figured as much. The Bolded text is why you're being told you are a 53.

Both those frame sizes come stock with a 100mm stem (which is already towards the mid/short length for road.)

The reach is 7,5mm difference between the two frame sizes. Assuming you have the 51cm and the 53cm set up with the same handlebar height, if the dealer puts a 90mm stem (the next common stem size smaller and 10mm less) on that 53mm then the 53mm will be ~2,5mm shorter reach to the handlebars than the 51cm would be. So it would make NO SENSE that he tells you the 51mm would be too small/uncomfortable if he's going to make a 53cm bike even shorter than the 51 by using a 90mm or shorter stem. Plus, the handling with such a short stem, or shorter, will start to suffer.

And it's very likely you need to change from the stock setup on the 53cm (either a smaller size or a shorter stem) because you are already saying you're uncomfortable "reaching to the bars on the 53"

You have short legs for your height (by the numbers you provided) so the standover will be better with the 51cm. The standover on the 53m is 30,5" not much clearance if your inseam is 30-31".

If the 151 headtube results in you needing to use too many spacers (unlikely) you may need to put a different stem on the 51 which is fine, or look for a different bike. The 53m is only ~1,5cm (1 thick and one thin spacer) taller, so if you have lots of spacers on the 53cm already (more than 4cm) then this perhaps isn't the bike for you in any size.

For that frame you should be riding a 51cm. The website tells you the same. Don't get deceived into buying the wrong size bike because that's the only stock they have.

Last edited by rain dogs; 06-09-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:52 PM

Thanks for your very informative input. Sounds like the bike shop wants to make a sale still knowing that a 53 will not be the correct fit for me. Since I won’t be purchasing this Orbea Avant could you recommend something out there that would be more suited for what I’m looking for; endurance bike, rim brakes, shimano tiagra groupset and or shimano 105 groupset with a $1500.00 budget?
I’ve already tried a Specialized, Trek, Giant, and Fuji there endurance road bikes but wasn’t comfortable on any. Maybe Bianchi? Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:06 PM

in defense of the 53 (and the shop): 7mm more reach is about 1/4 inch. it's not huge, and given your slightly longer torso, might work. The "too small" aspect of the 51 isn't because of the reach--it's the drop owing to the short head tube. A shorty stem on the 53 isn't ideal, but not nearly as bad as a stem riser extension or using a positive rise jacked up stem because the bars are too low. As I said above, if you were a racer boy, the low position on the 51 would be great. As it is, I think you're having a hard time seeing past a bargain that you want to fit and probably doesn't. Is it on sale or something?
Old 06-09-2020, 10:13 PM

Price of bike is $1160.00
It’s an older model bike that the bike shop had left over in its inventory. The price is within my budget but more importantly is this 53 frame a good fit for me based upon my measurements? It becomes especially confusing when you have differing opinions on the correct frame size I should buy based on my measurements (5’9”, 31” inseam). Some say 51 is the correct size and some say 53 is the correct size. It becomes more confusing when I speak to two independant bike dealers, who have several years selling Orbeas in their shop and they both agree that size 51 would be too small and 53 would be the best fit for me. As someone had commented earlier, Orbea may not be a fit for me.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:44 PM

unfortunately the answer is not cut and dry; you can't just plug in dimensions and have an answer spit out. My impression is still that you are between sizes and might be better off with another model or brand, but there is really only one way to find out: buy it and try it. There is a famous adage I like to cite: one test is worth a thousand expert opinions. Buy the 53, slap a shorter stem if needed, ride a couple years and decide when it's time to upgrade whether you want to adjust the fit with the new bike.