Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 04-29-2020, 08:43 PM
Riding along

Question Is an old FitKet set of specs still relevant?

I had a fit kit done in 1997 (jeez), before I bought the current BIFL bike--a LeMond, which fit the specs well. Later the same fitter--a very well regarded frame builder--did a bit up an update to tweak the bike with the handlebars and stem it has now. The simple test of spinning on a gentle uphill and being able to lift my hands off the bars is no trouble. Now reconsidering the whole BIFL thing though because I need much small gears in front and bigger in back.

Question for those is the know, is can I still use an old fit kit evaluation (Competition Road selection) for current frame geometries or more importantly, for avoiding injury? Maybe the thinking for body fit changes along with the frame ratios.

I am 20lbs (+) heavier than when I got the fit, and an X-ray of my ankle looks like the bottom of a toolbox (with rods and screws askew--from soccer), but no probs otherwise (touching wood). I am trying to get back in the saddle (see related General Discussion thread "What Should Rip van Winkle Do..." earlier today. When I last rode I wore mtb cleats for a little more more 'float'.

Is an old FitKit eval relevant, or asking for trouble?
Old 04-30-2020, 02:06 AM

it's fine. You basically went from zero to whatever you have been riding lately with I would suspect little warning to your body. Is the knee pain on the same side as the effed up ankle? I'd get those floaty MTB cleats and shoes to free things up, presuming MTB riding doesn't kill your kneecaps.

what are your measurements from the fit and what is the size of the bike?

The extra weight has not changed the length of your limbs. Your flexibility has changed but that can be easily remedied.

As you back off the riding to let your knees recuperate, think about why the stem and bar positioning was changed.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:29 PM
Riding along

Here is an image of the specs from my FitKit assessment, along with the geometry of the frame itself.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zQS7cYsczTp8YpHu7

The bike is a 1997 LeMond, size 53 (indicated by the ball point pen in the picture). On the right is a sketch of the setup of stem and bars when I put them on, which might be hard to read in the picture.

I have not remeasured the bike itself now, and I will be getting up to speed on stack and reach considerations.

There are good bike fitters around when we can move about freely again.

Last edited by RWL2222; 04-30-2020 at 03:09 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-30-2020, 07:04 PM

Work on your core strength and get back to the original spec'ed set up as your body adjusts. Watch that your saddle height is correct (and eyeballing it I think your saddle need to drop back a bit but if you don't have a shorter stem your reach will be very long) When this craziness settles down go get another fit. Can't emphasize this enough, but working on your core and flexibility will save you hundreds of dollars on bike equipment adjustments. That bike is a keeper. good luck. Oh and don't ride with pain.