Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 01:43 PM

Nice! Thank you guys - the drywall square seems like a genius idea! Not exactly the same, but pretty darn close.

@ Brian, I hear you, but $300 is more than I'm looking to pay for a device I would use a few times a year. Definitely worth the price if I were using it more, though. Until then, the drywall square will do!
Old 10-21-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
Yes, I have added a meter stick, 6-in scale, small/8" square, tiny clamps. You can measure all of the pertinent points on a bike relative to the bottom bracket or the ground. You need a pretty flat, not necessarily level, section of floor under the bike. With careful repeat measurements you can get within a couple of millimeters. (Angle measurements would be nice but I never found them necessary.)
Do you by any chance have a photo of your setup? Really curious to know what your homemade device looks like.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepextate View Post
Do you by any chance have a photo of your setup? Really curious to know what your homemade device looks like.
A picture would be worth a thousand words: let me see what I can do. It's not so much a device as the combinations used to get a measurement:

The t-square on floor, aligned to the bottom bracket, with the 8" square will give you saddle set back.

T-square with 8" square on the saddle then on the top of the bars I'll give you saddle to bar drop.

Meter square aligned to the bottom bracket with 8" square on top of saddle will give you saddle height.

T-square and meter square for front center.

Etc etc

Small clamps can hold the 8-in square steady on the others and attached for markers. 6-in scale can be used to measure differences. It's nice to have something to index the bottom bracket center--I have a rubber plug for ultra torque cranks.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:53 PM

I would love to have one of these two, even at these ridiculous $300 prices they would eventually pay for themselves if your time is worth much.

I could see trying to build one myself I guess.. but this really is something that is ripe for a chinese knockoff.

It's no more complex than a lot of construction/carpentery tools there's no way on earth it should cost $300.

The thing with it is your homemade one better work nearly as well as the expensive one or it will be fiddly and not actually save the time versus more traditional methods like putting the bike in the corner and measuring from the floor & wall to multiple points and then doing the math. I usually measure up the seatpost and then use the calculator on my phone to calculate the Y height of the saddle and then measure from the wall to the BB and then the wall to the saddle nose to figure out the setback/X position. For bars it's more error prone IMO.

Last edited by benb; 10-21-2020 at 03:56 PM.