Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 PM

Midfoot Cleat Position

I know this topic has come up before and raised some debates, but I am interested in experimenting with more of a midfoot cleat position. I seem to remember reading about a pedal that was set up to achieve a more of a midfoot position without having to reposition the cleat. It wasn't from any of the major pedal manufacturers, but the company might have been French. It used a three bolt cleat, and was also designed with a dropped platform so that the pedal axle was actually even with (or above) the bottom of your foot. I can't remember what the name of the company was and haven't had any luck finding it online. Anybody have any thoughts?

Ed
Old 04-11-2013, 04:35 PM
You still here?

Vista pedals. They work well if you have quite long legs as their design causes a more forward position on the bike.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 PM

That's exactly it. Thanks. It looks like Vista doesn't sell the pedals separately anymore. They now have some crazy crank where the pedals are integrated directly into the crank. I am going to see if anyone still sells the pedals by themselves.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 PM
You still here?

C-4 sells Vista pedals in the U.S. http://c-4shop.com/Vista-Magic-X-Road-Pedals-MagicX.htm

Be aware that you may have to change your riding position, lowering your saddle and moving it forward because the pedals drop your foot a fair mount, effectively lengthening your crank and putting your foot further forward on the downstroke. Vista offers a frame designed around their pedal geometry to take advantage of them.

I had a set of Vista pedals and sold them as I couldn't come to grips with the difference. OTH, Dave Kirk loves them.

Edit: more info: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=38802

Last edited by dave thompson; 04-11-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 PM
D.Bordewisch

Midfoot cleat suggestion

I have made many pairs of SPD/SPD-SL shoes for customers. It is pretty easy to do. You will need a Dremel, J&B Weld, SPD shoe cleat plates and a marker. Many road shoes are fairly flat in the midfoot area. While you may not want to attack your new Sidi shoes if you have an old pair around it might be worth considering. Also be aware that, depending on frame and shoe size, toe overlap might become an issue. If you are interested I can give a more detailed explantion or send me your shoes.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:05 PM

Continuing with over a dozen years on mid-foot cleats, I just received a pair or well fitting, reasonably priced (200 euro) Biomac production shoes that have cleat drilling in identical location to that on my present custom shoes (dumb luck), which are falling apart after tens of thousands of miles of use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maccies 1.jpg (99.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Maccies 2.jpg (77.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 09-13-2020, 10:14 AM

Dang! Those are fancy! I've never gone as far back as that, but I do get the logic and would be totally open to trying if it were more easily feasible.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:17 PM

This is definitely interesting.
I recently moved my cleats as far back as theyd go on my poggios, which ended up being 1-2cm further back.

Not sure I'm ready to commit to going that far back with custom shoes like this, but I feel much better on the bike and it hasn't really hurt my jump/sprint.

I'd definitely be worried about it hurting things if it was actually at the midfoot, but if I had a set of shoes for a bike that was solely a base miles/endurance setup then it would make a ton of sense.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:24 AM

Im curious about everyones experience with moving the cleat position backwards. I tried it and am personally not a fan. I know that there's evidence to it being more economical and thereby more powerful for longer distance cycling but personally I prefer more traditional placement. I have decent sized calf muscles so wonder if I prefer to have some calf engagement when cycling. Also I find that I get hot spots in my shoes if I move further back.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stj View Post
Im curious about everyones experience with moving the cleat position backwards. I tried it and am personally not a fan. I know that there's evidence to it being more economical and thereby more powerful for longer distance cycling but personally I prefer more traditional placement. I have decent sized calf muscles so wonder if I prefer to have some calf engagement when cycling. Also I find that I get hot spots in my shoes if I move further back.
I've liked it but I'm not really midfoot. If you don't go for the mid foot placement, your cleats should be far enough back that your ankle is stable through the full ROM. From there it's just personal preference.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:01 AM

Have my cleats as far back as they will go on a pair of Sidis. I feel a midfoot cleat position could work if you prefer your saddle with less setback - this is equivalent to shifting your entire position on the bike forward

Hotspots can be solved with custom insoles that distribute pressure more evenly

Tags
midfoot, pedals