Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 08:06 PM

This is my favorite: https://www.ecmrecords.com/shop/1430...-keith-jarrett

Old 10-21-2020, 08:17 PM
ZhugeLiang

I personally didn't know who Keith Jarrett is..until today. Thank you for posting.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:29 PM

Bassist, Gary Peacock, who Jarrett played with often, passed away about a month ago.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:08 PM

Country from My Song will forever be burned in my brain.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:21 AM
Byron

I was sad to hear this news as well.
In about 1973-4ish, I spent a couple summers fishing salmon in the San Juan Islands.
I camped out in a county park for the summer in a private campsite along with several other fishermen in their private sites.
My connection to the world was the FM station from Vancouver, B.C.
Great public radio news and perhaps better music.
K. Jarrett took my mind on many a pleasant evening adventures that couple summers.
A few years later I heard him play at a very nice theater in Seattle.
I still prefer the nights alone at my private camp site.
Wish you well KJ

Last edited by bironi; 10-22-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:28 AM

Thanks for posting. Just listened to Part VIII from the Budapest Concert. Lovely.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:29 AM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Aw man, that's heartbreaking.

I first discovered Keith when I was a teenager just starting to consider going to college for music, and the Berklee College of Music was on my short list of places I was interested in. My Mom found an article from the New York Times about Keith Jarrett that mentioned he had attended Berklee, and so showed it to me. At the time I was more interested in the fact that his recent album was called The Köln Concert and a few months later I had written and recorded an original piece called "The Klöne Concert" (It was an homage in name only; it would take me at least another decade to begin to appreciate Mr. Jarrett's talents.)

To not be able to play, to not be able to even remember tunes... smh. Not sure where he gets the will to carry on.
Bob,
I loved that Koln Concert album.
I took loving care of it for a few years and then gifted it to my sister on her birthday.
No regrets.
By
Old 10-22-2020, 12:43 AM

Sad news indeed. When your life has been spontaneous, improvised musical creativity through a specific instrument, and you lose your ability to play, whaddya do? Painter who can't paint, singer who can't sing, etc.

When my now 27yr-old son was a colicky infant, I had two go-tos for rocking him to sleep in my arms. One was a laser disc of Jarrett/Peacock/Dejohnette's Standards, recorded in Japan, with "God Bless The Child" on it. I think it was later released as the first disc of the 2-disc dvd "Standards I/II." The other sure-fire lullaby was a live Mississippi John Hurt collection, from '63-'64. He'd never make it through "God Bless The Child," or past the 2nd/3rd John Hurt song.

I still listen to the John Hurt set once in a while. Haven't listened to the Standards set, not even sure I have it except on the laser disc, and the disc player died decades ago. I'll have to figure that out, and have a listen.

I also used to sing him "Cockles & Mussels," in my worst Irish accent. Not a drop of Irish blood in me afaik, don't really know where that came from.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:06 AM

His work with Miles Shaped fusion along with
Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea

Piano ? Everyone Loves Bill Evans
Cheers
Old 10-22-2020, 07:18 AM

All best to Keith Jarrett, a tough blow.

Much of what has been mentioned has been a source of joy over the years. I’d add to that a recording from 1974, “Belonging”, with Jan Gabarek et al. Listen to Spiral Dance if you have a chance.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Aw man, that's heartbreaking.

I first discovered Keith when I was a teenager just starting to consider going to college for music, and the Berklee College of Music was on my short list of places I was interested in. My Mom found an article from the New York Times about Keith Jarrett that mentioned he had attended Berklee, and so showed it to me. At the time I was more interested in the fact that his recent album was called The Köln Concert and a few months later I had written and recorded an original piece called "The Klöne Concert" (It was an homage in name only; it would take me at least another decade to begin to appreciate Mr. Jarrett's talents.)

To not be able to play, to not be able to even remember tunes... smh. Not sure where he gets the will to carry on.
Can't remember how I stumbled on The Köln Concert, but I bought it when it first came out -- an for years I played it a lot. It used to be a litmus test for other people--could they be carried away by it, or did they find it boring?

I read this too yesterday--I am deeply sorry that I never made the effort to see him play in person. I hope he can find peace if he is unable to make music anymore.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:13 AM

Last Carnegie Hall Recording

This is audio from the last Carnegie Hall concert mentioned in the article: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ST?usp=sharing
Old 10-22-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
I almost posted this in the "music stuck in my head" thread but decided to post it on its own because I'm curious how many others here are fans.

After reading this fantastic, but sad, piece on him early this morning, I've been listening to him all day.

https://www.bing.com/amp/s/www.nytim...piano.amp.html

I first heard Keith when I was only 10 years old, when he performed at Reed College. In total, I have been to 7 of his concerts, several times in Portland, during the Oregon Bach Festival in Eugene in 1994, and twice in Europe in 1977-78. When I was living in Belgium during that time, the owner of the bar/hostel where I was living and bartending for my keep was obsessed with Jarrett.
I’ve long been a fan.

Keith’s brother Grant was a bicycle guy and used to work at Larry & Jeff’s bicycle shop on the upper east side of NYC. I have a recollection of Grant telling me that he was a jazz drummer, but gave up playing professionally to avoid the club scene. I lost touch with Grant when I left the city over 20 years ago. If anyone knows where he is these days, I’d love to reconnect.

Scratch that. It took a google search. Talented family. https://www.grantjarrett.com/

Last edited by djg21; 10-22-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I’ve long been a fan.

Keith’s brother Grant was a bicycle guy and used to work at Larry & Jeff’s bicycle shop on the upper east side of NYC. I have a recollection of Grant telling me that he was a jazz drummer, but gave up playing professionally to avoid the club scene. I lost touch with Grant when I left the city over 20 years ago. If anyone knows where he is these days, I’d love to reconnect.

Scratch that. It took a google search. Talented family. https://www.grantjarrett.com/
Not only a talented family, but, if you click on Grant Jarrett's bio on his website, there is a picture of him high up in the mountains somewhere with a very cool looking Serotta- a nice tie-in to this Forum!

As for Keith- he has long been a musical hero. I saw him do a live improvised piano concert here at the Adelaide Festival in the early 80's. Spell-binding.

For those that enjoy his solo piano concerts, I have quite a few different recordings, and one that I highly recommend for a brilliant mixture of melody, blues and atonal jagged stuff is the Rio concert - he was ON that night.