Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 07:43 PM
Time & Bikes

When you look at how the Tapatalk app facilitates thousands of forums on a range of topics, it seems that the forum structure -- while ancient in internet years -- remains a viable way for people to share info on their interests and obsessions.

Besides cycling forums (mainly this one, for me), I've learned a lot and had fun on forums dedicated to digital audio, astrology, and golden retrievers.

Forums work better for true person-to-person (peer-to-peer) connections than virtually any newer (relative to forums) social media. At least, I really should add, in my experience.

Dave, who says it's obvious that before the term "social media" ever existed groups like rec.bicycles.tech were already a social medium
Old 10-21-2020, 08:05 PM

I'm good with this forum and VelocipedeSalon (AKA across the hall) for the quality of people and easy of use.

My two adult sons spend a whole lot of time on reddit -- I know this because they send me stuff that makes me shake my head.

Had (I guess I still have) a FB account because, well, I thought I should. Posted very little, visit very little. Now FB tells me they want me to give then some personal info to verify my age! Can't figure out how to cancel the account without first re-registering, so it will sit in limbo forever. And BTW, both sons are smart with tech and have decided no photos or posts about grandkids will ever go on FB. Smart sons!

I have used Slack in one of my volunteer orgs, and I'm semi-intrigued. But it appears they're trying to be more "hip" and moving away from a metaphor that I can work with so not sure if there's a future with that tech for me.

Anyhow, glad to be uncool with the cool cats here!
Old 10-21-2020, 08:10 PM

Nobody has ever accused me of being cool.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:10 PM

I've been on forums such as this one and a few others for close to 20 years.

I've met a few people from forums in real life and made a few real friends, a few enemies and experienced death and loss as well. If that is uncool. I'm good with it.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:04 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
IDK.

I'm still upset that they split rec.bicycles.misc into rec.bicycles.singlespeed and rec.bicycles.fixxie. That was just uncalled for.

Loved this. TY
Old 10-21-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I've been on forums such as this one and a few others for close to 20 years.

I've met a few people from forums in real life and made a few real friends <snip>
This has been my experience.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:18 PM

What’s reddit? That’s how old I am...
Old 10-21-2020, 10:37 PM

I use reddit everyday, to follow nfl, F1, read general headline news, get some LOLs, etc.

But I also visit here everyday.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post

I've met a few people from forums in real life and made a few real friends
Same here - mostly from interactions on the iBob and RBW lists. Always neat to meet people in meat space after having conversed with them virtually for years.

KJ
Old 10-21-2020, 11:34 PM

Same, actually. I got my (at the time) dream job at Rapha through a forum. Almost everyone I speak to on a daily basis were either met through that forum or through Rapha. I love forums
Old 10-22-2020, 06:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
haha, i feel old for saying this, but i've heard of reddit, but i dont really understand what it is??

i have also never had a facebook account.
What he said..have no idea of what reddit is, have never had a FB or instagram account, used to have twitter but I started to get threatened when I tweeted to a certain guy in the big chair....

email, this forum, one other(not bike or political related)...and nuthin else.

Used to wander around rec.bicycles.tech..and get yelled at by Jobst...but no more. May that fountain of knowledge(and Sheldon) Rest in Peace.

Was 'across the hall' for about 3 days..some really rude people over there...

Used to go the tech forum part of cyclingnews, and also the 'cafe' forum section..but that got really bad when the political trolls bleached over to the bike tech section. Left

So..check my email and come here in the AM....

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-22-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:51 AM

I’m 35 and I have been on and off a “forum” called Bicycle Counter Culture (BCC) but it’s a Slack forum. There are different Slack pages but what I don’t like is that people post things too quickly since I guess the interface lends to very texting-like behavior. You can scroll back and see what others have said but I find that your comment really just gets pushed down pretty quickly if you go 1-2hrs without checking it.

I much prefer this forum type where the messages aren’t so frequent and it seems like most people read most of the posts in chronological order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 07:06 AM

Forums require a shared commitment (which this place has)--a kind of ethos, so that the information is sound, and the friendships real. A bunch of us witnessed the destruction of the community feeling over at Road Bike Review--and there are more than a few of us hanging out here now.

I'm on Facebook--but for exchange of ideas, the format sucks--really bad search (even for your own stuff)--it is all presentist, driven by their algorithms--and every change (especially the last major update) has made it worse--such as not showing the full comments on a post, so that every person reads only the last comment, and repeats what 6 others have already said, because they have not expanded the thread to see what's been said. Search-forgetaboutit...

We get a bit of 'I haven't read the whole thread' here--but a lot of folks do, and their comments (especially when it is technical or bike-related) are germane and add to 'the knowledge'.

We also have a group with fairly diverse interests so the non-cycling conversations are also interesting.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 AM

I just became aware of the fact that forums like this aren't cool

Being on this group actually makes me feel good about fellow cyclists, that there are kindred spirits about, whereas being around shop rats and racers never did.

No offense intended to the primo, super-mechanic shop geniuses in our midst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jc031699; 10-22-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I think the cool kids use redit or something to talk about bicycles and that forums like this are web 1.0 but in an uncool way. I wouldn't know about this because I am too old to know what is hip.

Maybe somebody here is young and can conform my suspicions.
I miss the rec.bicycles.racing and rec.bicycles.tech Usenet newsgroups. Web 1.0?