Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I've had several race capes, older RCC version and the current one. I agree with the fit comment above, but disagree with the 'waterproof' characterization. Resistant? Yes. Proof? No, plus you need to refresh the proofing with some regularity to make sure you're protected (ask me how I know).

They do not breathe very well. After hard efforts you'll feel like you've been in a sauna.

P.S. No way will the new model referenced in the OP be on sale next month. If you can fit into something smaller than an XL maybe have a look at the Shadow jacket in the archive sale.
I’ve never had issue with waterproof ness, and I ride in some pretty grim weather. I reproof maybe once a year but I generally avoid washing them.

Most of the time I am wet on the inside from sweat or if it’s particularly bad, water creep up the sleeve.

If I do a proper hard effort the jacket goes in a pocket. That goes for basically any jacket.

But of course this is all highly personal stuff and YMMV. Just my opinion at the end of the day!
Old 10-21-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I’m looking at one of these as well. What does “slim build” mean in terms of sizing? I usually wear an “XL in Rapha jerseys (usually the brevet line) Should I size up with the race cape?
They generally follow pro team sizing, which I think is generally slimmer than brevet or classic stuff.

I wear an XS in pro team and wear a XS cape, but the cape has less give than a jersey... so if you’re borderline on the jersey then the cape is tiiiiiight.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
I’ve never had issue with waterproof ness, and I ride in some pretty grim weather. I reproof maybe once a year but I generally avoid washing them.

Most of the time I am wet on the inside from sweat
Whenever this happens, you ought to turn the jacket inside-out and run it under the shower to wash off your sweat.
If you've ever seen the lining of a rain jacket disintegrate, it's your sweat that did it. It needs to stay clean to work properly.
And if you've ever rolled up to a coffee stop on a winter day and asked yourself, "why can I smell cat urine?", it's because somebody close to you never washes their winter jacket.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:22 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post

Most of the time I am wet on the inside from sweat or if it’s particularly bad, water creep up the sleeve.

If I do a proper hard effort the jacket goes in a pocket. That goes for basically any jacket.

But of course this is all highly personal stuff and YMMV. Just my opinion at the end of the day!
Yeah, actually not that much at variance -- proofing works pretty well unless you forget to re-do it, and 'wet on the inside from sweat' is what I meant by it acting like a sauna. It's the only rain jacket I've used regularly so maybe none of them breathe very well, dunno.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:53 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I've had several race capes, older RCC version and the current one. I agree with the fit comment above, but disagree with the 'waterproof' characterization. Resistant? Yes. Proof? No, plus you need to refresh the proofing with some regularity to make sure you're protected (ask me how I know).

They do not breathe very well. After hard efforts you'll feel like you've been in a sauna.

P.S. No way will the new model referenced in the OP be on sale next month. If you can fit into something smaller than an XL maybe have a look at the Shadow jacket in the archive sale.
Maybe shakedry is the answer but I do not find myself in extended downpours often enough to justify the $$, especially when I have a race cape (the sauna result is expected, as is with anything else).

Race cape (dont like the name) is fine for an hour or so. longer I haven't multi-hour rain misery in some time. love the fat zippers on chest and wrists. better than the regular rain jacket.

sizing still whacked. in classic jackets I need XL for shoulders since i wear a L in jerseys. Oddly in the PT wind jacket I am L but the Race Cape and Pro team softshell I am XL. YMMV

Last edited by pdmtong; 10-22-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:02 PM

I use the Race Cape (and all my Rapha Pro Team ) double zippers to unzip to let some heat and moisture out, then zip it up again. Same with the cuff zippers - There really isn't a silver bullet.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:15 PM

Yes, there is - It is called shakedry
Old 10-22-2020, 12:37 PM

Do the Rapha classic winter jackets stretch/break in at all? Have one that I’m considering returning because it’s tight in the chest/armpits. Fine elsewhere, tho.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybike View Post
Do the Rapha classic winter jackets stretch/break in at all? Have one that I’m considering returning because it’s tight in the chest/armpits. Fine elsewhere, tho.
Is this issue with the new design?
Old 10-22-2020, 01:47 PM

Not the one discussed here—prior year. Bought in screaming sale and have delayed returning until I can find something that fits better
Old 10-22-2020, 05:54 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Not the one discussed here—prior year. Bought in screaming sale and have delayed returning until I can find something that fits better
Hard to judge exactly which models are which, but as noted above I found that the older version (single zipper) was a tighter fit in the shoulders for me, had to size up to L to fit into it but ultimately sold it because the rest of the fit was off. The current version (i.e., last year's, currently in the archive sale, double zipper, splash patch on the back) fits me better -- not too tight in the shoulders/pits and good race fit elsewhere.

Hope that helps a bit.

[EDIT] Oops, saw that you were referring to winter jacket…my comments are about the race cape.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
It won't grow much, if at all. If in doubt, return it and size up.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:23 PM

Bought one of the new Rapha Winter GoreTex jackets. Appears to be top quality, which you would expect for the price. I am between XL and XXL in Rapha and I bought an XL and am glad I did. Very comfy, not quite a race fit but not a lot of extra material flapping in the wind either. It was in the low to mid 40’s and quite blustery out during my first ride. I wore bib tights and a medium weight Assos base layer. I get cold easily and this combo was perfect. I think I could easily wear this down into the 30’s and up into the 50’s. Two nitpicks...the sleeves seem a bit long. Something I don’t usually complain about since I have long arms. Also, the rear pockets are large which is usually great for accessing stuff while wearing winter gloves. The issue is that the pockets seem to be sewn a little too high which results in difficulty accessing the pockets while on the bike. Not a big deal. Overall, after one ride, I am happy with the purchase.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
Bought one of the new Rapha Winter GoreTex jackets. Appears to be top quality, which you would expect for the price. I am between XL and XXL in Rapha and I bought an XL and am glad I did. Very comfy, not quite a race fit but not a lot of extra material flapping in the wind either. It was in the low to mid 40’s and quite blustery out during my first ride. I wore bib tights and a medium weight Assos base layer. I get cold easily and this combo was perfect. I think I could easily wear this down into the 30’s and up into the 50’s. Two nitpicks...the sleeves seem a bit long. Something I don’t usually complain about since I have long arms. Also, the rear pockets are large which is usually great for accessing stuff while wearing winter gloves. The issue is that the pockets seem to be sewn a little too high which results in difficulty accessing the pockets while on the bike. Not a big deal. Overall, after one ride, I am happy with the purchase.
This jacket?
https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens...uct/SJK12XXEMP

If so what are the chest zip pockets like inside? Mesh lining, or a more solid material, and how big are they? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:44 PM

That’s the one. They are technically vents for air flow. The have a fine but sturdy mesh on the inside. They would work well as pockets for small items. In fact, I could fit my large Samsung phone in the pocket with room to spare.