Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
I've been using the same bars on gravel that I use on my road bikes. Have never wanted to change to anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Same here. I pondered getting flared bars, stayed with my Ritchey road bars, and that's riding a lot of singletrack.
+3. I don't care at all for a wide stance or a lot of flare on bars as it tires my hands and shoulders, not to mention fundamentally changing front-end handling. I do have a Ritchey Butano that's basically a compact road bar with just a little (12deg?) flare to the drops, nice flat transition to my Tektro brake hoods (using barcons not brifters on a Ritchey breakaway cross used mostly on gravel these days). It fits my roadie preferences for a "gravel" bar, just a little different in a good way for descending in the drops but otherwise feels like a compact road bar (like my favorite Ritchey Classic/Egocurve) in size 42, measured c-c at the top. If I get another one, I'd consider a narrower size 40 but the 42 is pretty comfy. I do think a lot of the marketing for "gravel"-specific handlebars has gone off the rails, at some point you're better off with MTB flat bars. But what do I know---

Last edited by zennmotion; 10-21-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavingould View Post
i use the Thomson KFC bars on my bikes that go all places.
believe they are just called "the carbon drop cyclocross bar" these days, but they do appear to have a flared version for gravel now too.
I love the Thomson carbon bars and have them on my two main bikes (road & gravel).
Old 10-21-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I use the Enve out front mount for my computer and my current favorite bar bag is the Rickshaw mini stretch which can hold a light on it.

I'm not sure if other computer mounts will work but can post some photos later today to show it off.
Cool! Yeah, would love to see your entire front end set up!
Old 10-21-2020, 02:53 PM

I have used a lot of different set ups for gravel so far. 3t Ergonova team, Thomson KFC, Easton EC70 AX and am currently running Whisky no9 24 degree flare bars on my Chebacco as well as the 3t Superghiaia in my Warbird.

It all comes down to what you prefer. I personally like a shallower drop short reach bar with flare and run a 10mm shorter stem then I would on my road bike. The 3t have a nice amount of flare while keeping your shifters straight as opposed to the Whisky bars that have them more angled. The 3t are flatter on the tops.

The Thomson bars are more traditional with a reasonable reach and drop IIRC. Nice solid bars.

The Easton bars have plenty of flare and were the first 16 degree bars I had tried out. Nice bars that were a little thinner in diameter at the flats then the Whisky no9 bars iirc and a little less flare.

The 3t Ergonova team bars came on my Drifter and were very nice. Shortish shallowish 6 degree of flare, flat wide tops and ergo drops that worked quite well with that bike and it’s set up. Always performed well over long rides and provided plenty of comfortable hand positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 10:04 AM

I really like the FSA AGX on my Aspero, has just the right amount of flare for All-Road/Gravel IMO.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:12 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Big fan of the Ritchey Evomax here. Nice round bend with a comfortable amount of flare.
I’m with the Colonel (again). They’re becoming hard to get, unfortunately.