Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 02:23 PM

I think the fastest human made thing I've seen so far is the international space station fly overhead
On land, super bikes that go 150 or more,
I travel at the speed of bike....serotta that is
Old 10-22-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The original question was about 300 mph dragsters, which only the Top Fuel categories are capable of. In the last 20 years, there have been 5 fatalities in the NHRA Top Fuel categories, as compared to 5 fatalities in FIA Formula 1, and 4 fatalities in the IndyCar league in the same time period.
Since October 2000 there has been one driver fatality in an FIA Formula 1 race, and another as a result of an accident in testing conducted by a team competing in the current FIA Formula 1 WC.

Jules Bianchi in the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka in 2014, and Maria de Villota a year after a testing accident on an airfield in England in 2012. Both driving for Marussia.

The next most recent F1 race fatality was Senna at Imola in 1994, more than 26 years ago.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:29 PM

FYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jqCdBKl0ME
Old 11-04-2020, 12:44 PM
aka RAEKWON

the dudes that found out this speed record were bogus were Schmee 150, Misha and Robert

They all made a video about it and then discussed it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F13MrkZsl3c&t=1244s

Now the owner of SSC came out and said they can't prove the speed and they are going to re-run the "record". Of course there are tons of questions to be answered.... but SSC did get caught in this big lie. I wish em success but I doubt that car can do 331 MPH
Old 11-04-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
the dudes that found out this speed record were bogus were Schmee 150, Misha and Robert

They all made a video about it and then discussed it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F13MrkZsl3c&t=1244s

Now the owner of SSC came out and said they can't prove the speed and they are going to re-run the "record". Of course there are tons of questions to be answered.... but SSC did get caught in this big lie. I wish em success but I doubt that car can do 331 MPH
That’s my thinking too. I didn’t initially know there were questions about this speed but further research has shown other videos about it.

I like this oneI linked because I subscribe to his channel. It’s incredibly dry but he does try to use math to demonstrate his points. If you want to get to sleep his videos help!
Old 11-04-2020, 01:33 PM

This illustrates why:
  1. Record attempts should be monitored and certified by independent bodies
  2. Bodies that certify and maintain records like this have standardized and easily verified measurement methodology.

For this type of record, the methodology is typically measuring elapsed time through a speed trap - time measurements are accurate and reliable, and speed trap distance can be be certified or re-certified by anyone. Although GPS speed measurement is convenient, there are too many variables that can go wrong with it (as this record SNAFU illustrates).
Old 11-04-2020, 03:17 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
This illustrates why:
  2. Bodies that certify and maintain records like this have standardized and easily verified measurement methodology.

For this type of record, the methodology is typically measuring elapsed time through a speed trap - time measurements are accurate and reliable, and speed trap distance can be be certified or re-certified by anyone. Although GPS speed measurement is convenient, there are too many variables that can go wrong with it (as this record SNAFU illustrates).

I agree, this is a great case study in hiring independent expertise. Not a good look for a firm that engineers for high $$$ and performance to screw up basic things such as distance and time.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:48 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
This illustrates why:

According to Henessey who broke the speed a few years ago this is how its done and I quote -

"All performance was verified and validated by @racelogic_uk engineers who were on site during all tests. 3 separate VBOX GPS systems were used in order to have 2 back up systems. Video was captured of the GPS speed display located in the windscreen (so the driver knew his speed at all times). All of this was witnessed by Naval Air Station Lemoore flight operations officer. At the conclusion of the day all results were verified by the @racelogic_uk engineer as well as the Naval commander at which point they signed an official document validating the results for everyone in attendance to witness. That’s how it’s done."
Old 11-04-2020, 03:50 PM
aka RAEKWON

Also I don't it mattered who they had on site or what method they used, the car is just not going to do 331mph right now. It is a crazy number. The currently record will be broken but this was broken by way too much.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:57 PM

Not even going to watch all this... just ridiculous someone would go to all this effort and fake it!