Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 07:23 PM

On the rare occasion that I ride on MUP, it's because my wife wants to ride it. Fine. But, sometimes she goes helmetless with the oddball reasoning that "it's just a bike path". So, then I have to try to convince her that the bike trail is the most likely place she'll have a crash. I think she believes me now.

I believe the East Bay MUP in RI has bikes ride on the right and walkers/runners on the left.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:46 PM

It’s so they don’t get spooked when cyclists fly by them going 25mph.

I didn’t understand this until I decided to try running a few months ago and had it happen to me. I had no headphones but didn’t hear the electric bike as it flew by me going nearly 30. Made me jump!
Old 10-20-2020, 08:18 PM

I say passing on the left all the time, only to avoid a "guest" making an unannounced u turn

If they are on the phone I ask the person who they are talking to to tell the person to let me by, the other side can hear me hey I'm passing on the left....thanks
No kidding this works
Old 10-20-2020, 08:39 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Running on the trail - run as far as you can to your right at all times.
Running on the road - run against traffic.

Cycling on the trail - ride as far as you can to your right at all times, pass on the left and then get back over.
Cycling on the road - ride as far as you can to your right and know your surroundings.

Driving on the road - drive in the right lane unless you are turning left or passing someone.
Driving on the road with two lanes in each direction - stay in the right lane driving the speed limit or under and use the left lane to pass. Then return to the right lane.
Driving ont eh road with three lanes in each direction - Right lane is for exits and people who want to drive below the speed limit. Center lane is for speed limit cruising or waiting for an upcoming exit. Left lane is for passing.

That is all.

Last edited by kppolich; 10-20-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
cyclists fly by them going 25mph.

There's the problem.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-21-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Running on the trail - run as far as you can to your right at all times.
Yet, as noted above, a MUP in RI says walk on the left.

I actually prefer this because walkers and runners with headphones will see you coming, whereas, if they walk on the right, they will not hear you.

Bottom line: I am an extremely casual rider on a MUP and have no problem slowing down to walking speed briefly to accomodate other users.

Also, Strava should delete any segments that are on a MUP. That's just stupid.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:38 AM

I think with most casual walkers there is no thought process as to what might happen if a bicycle going 18, 15, 12 mph hits them. They may look, see the bike coming and cross the path anyway assuming the bike will slow down or stop even though it's 10 feet from impact and not possible. I slow down and assume a walker will not respond to anything I say like, "on your left". I could say excuse me, pardon me, coming through, sorry, thank you and that MIGHT work.

Our group ride on the weekend sticks to the streets for the most part. With more people outdoors and exercising during Covid the MUP is more like a picnic area on Sunday afternoon.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:29 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Agreed that people with multiple dogs spread across the trail or groups of families with kids, strollers, and pets strung out 5 wide going down the backs stretch can be confusing, especially when those people are on the phone or have headphones in.

I have yet to be confident enough to stop and say something about taking up the entire trail or sticking to a side to make it easier and safer for two way traffic. I guess the confrontation just isn't worth it to me, but I do make a point to get as far over to the right once passing someone so they see it.

MUP trails are just that, not racetracks but it would still be nice to have some standards out there or a yellow line down the middle like a road.

Last edited by kppolich; 10-21-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Agreed that people with multiple dogs spread across the trail or groups of families with kids, strollers, and pets strung out 5 wide going down the backs stretch can be confusing, especially when those people are on the phone or have headphones in.

I have yet to be confident enough to stop and say something about taking up the entire trail or sticking to a side to make it easier and safer for two way traffic. I guess the confrontation just isn't worth it to me, but I do make a point to get as far over to the right once passing someone so they see it.

MUP trails are just that, not racetracks but it would still be nice to have some standards out there or a yellow line down the middle like a road.
The line is really helpful. Nearly all MuP in Scottsdale area have dotted or solid yellow lines on the paths. Not only does it help steer you on the main route as there are many forks, it keeps the flow much better than what I dealt with in NYC riding the west side greenway.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
There's the problem.
Ear buds a the real culprit on the mup. Cant hear on your left. anybody else have a "jump rope guy"?
Old 10-21-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Ear buds a the real culprit on the mup. Cant hear on your left. anybody else have a "jump rope guy"?

And on singletrack too.

While I'm pretty good about watching behind me as I run (you know, coyotes), MTBers come up pretty fast and they seem to expect that I can hear them coming. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. My favorite woods are sparsely used, and I might see a couple of other trail users in a two hour period. So I don't have any qualms about running with music or a podcast playing in my ears.

Invariably, they'll yell "on your left" when they're three feet behind me and closing quickly. On your left? It's singletrack! There is no left.

Give me some warning so I can find a place to step off the trail, not in poison ivy, pull my mask up, and let you go by. Happy to do so...just give me a bit of warning.

As a cyclist, on my MTB or 'cross bike, I'm never in that much of a hurry that I can't slow down to match the walker or runner's speed, cough politely from 15 feet away and then approach once they acknowledge me.

I guess if I were going for a Strava leaderboard segment, I'd be more of a jerk, I mean, in a rush, er... never mind.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy