Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 10-04-2020, 03:26 PM

tires for new bike

Hi guys,

Please pardon my lack of knowledge, I have only been at this seriously for a while. I started moving up from my flat bar fitness bikes about two years ago. (I am 65 years old, and have only been riding about ten years.)

I am a low-key rider, maybe 1000 mi per year. 75% of that is around our suburban neighborhood. The other 25% is on asphalt bike trails of varying condition. That is what I really enjoy.

Last year I talked myself into a relatively high-end road bike, for the purpose of making those 20 and 30 mile trail rides more "bearable" and doing longer distances. I just couldn't make it past that distance without having literally a pain in my butt, not to mention arms and neck. Moving to the road bike at least got me into riding shorts, clipless pedals and drop bars. But it wasn't much of an improvement on the distance. Just a little more speed. I don't think I will ever be a "real" road bike guy.

Last week I got rid of the road bike and am now the proud owner of a Specialized Diverge Carbon Base. This is definitely an improvement! I love the riding position and "cockpit." My problem now is that I think I went a little too far in the MTB direction as far as the tires go, not that I had a choice. I knew I would change them immediately, and that's OK.

So it has 700x38 tires, which are a lot of fun but SLOW. I am no triathlete, but I do enjoy going fast - and these tires are kind of holding me back. I want to put something a bit smaller and slicker on there. The rims are marked "622x21"" - not sure what the 21 is... but right now I am looking at like, Schwalbe Marathon Supremes.

My question is, what can I get away with? I am picturing 32's - just because 35's are probably not much different than what I have now. My road bike had 25's and my alternate "fitness" bike has 28's. I can still go fast on that one, but the Diverge is way more fun.

I am extremely interested in any advice on other possible tires, or anything else. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2020, 11:19 PM

The 21 in 622x21 means 21mm internal width. I have a 2018 Diverge Comp E5 (aluminum) with the same size wheels and it came with 30mm tires, so 32 will definitely work. If you're interested, here's one chart that shows useable tire sizes by rim width.

The problem with your tires isn't the width, though, it's the casing. Gravel tires are like MTB tires, meaning hard casings to resist punctures better. If you'll be staying on pavement, you can look at supple road tires and run them at lower pressure. I would look at the RH Barlow Pass 700x38, or Snoqualmie Pass 700x44 if your Diverge is a 2021. There's lots of info in the RH blog about how wide supple tires at the right pressure can be more comfortable and as fast as skinnier tires.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:31 PM
NJ/TN/PDX

+ vote 32s.

Some 28s run pretty big.

I have 28mm Gran Prix 4000 on 19c rims on my Team Issue Domane, they are 30.8mm inflated and a nice go fast tire.

I think the 28mm Grand Prix 5000 28s run more true to labeled.
But either will feel fast IMO unless you go too low on psi.

Question might be are your rim tubeless ready? Some different choices then...

Last edited by robt57; 10-05-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabriggs View Post
I would look at the RH Barlow Pass 700x38, or Snoqualmie Pass 700x44 if your Diverge is a 2021. There's lots of info in the RH blog about how wide supple tires at the right pressure can be more comfortable and as fast as skinnier tires.
I am very intrigued by this idea. The problem is, where in the world would you buy these tires? None of the distributors seem to have them. I can't even find specs on them.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptget View Post
I am very intrigued by this idea. The problem is, where in the world would you buy these tires? None of the distributors seem to have them. I can't even find specs on them.
You can order direct: https://www.renehersecycles.com/prod...ts/tires/700c/
Old 10-08-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The problem with your tires isn't the width, though, it's the casing. Gravel tires are like MTB tires, meaning hard casings to resist punctures better. If you'll be staying on pavement, you can look at supple road tires and run them at lower pressure. I would look at the RH Barlow Pass 700x38, or Snoqualmie Pass 700x44 if your Diverge is a 2021.
Aha, now I get it. Thanks. I think I may get a pair of these for my other "neighborhood" bike, which you guys would call a "trainer." But I do want/need the puncture resistance. See this...

I have ordered the Marathon Supremes in 32. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-08-2020, 02:55 PM

Just a heads up, if these don't feel fast, it's because they're incredibly slow tires. Almost any other 32-40mm tire from a reputable brand will roll much faster. Talk to your bike shop about going tubeless when you get around to it. They let you run very nice tires and they rarely, rarely flat bad enough that you need to put a tube in.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:00 PM

Red face faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Just a heads up, if these don't feel fast, it's because they're incredibly slow tires. Almost any other 32-40mm tire from a reputable brand will roll much faster. Talk to your bike shop about going tubeless when you get around to it. They let you run very nice tires and they rarely, rarely flat bad enough that you need to put a tube in.
I better confirm: by "these," hopefully you mean the factory ones, which are Pathfinder Sport, 700x38mm, not the Marathons. Right?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I better confirm: by "these," hopefully you mean the factory ones, which are Pathfinder Sport, 700x38mm, not the Marathons. Right?
Hey there, I am referring to Marathon tires. They're meant for touring or for commuters who are absolutely fed up about getting flats. I think they're one of the worst tires you can buy if you're trying to make a bike faster.

Stick to a width of something around 35mm, the Schwalbe G-One Allround, the Vittoria Terreno Zero, the Challenge Strada Bianca, and the Rene Herse tires come to mind. If you're staying strictly on the road, the Continental GP5000 in 32 is an excellent choice too. Getting something slicker, lighter, and more supple will do huge amount for how the bike feels and how fast it is.

I feel that you'd benefit from getting tubeless tires set up at the shop. They are admittedly a pain to do at home if they're not something you've done before, but they let you run nicer tires like this while virtually eliminating any chance of a flat ending your ride.

I'm sure that the tires you have on there feel slow and the kneejerk reaction is to put something closer to road tires on there, but the Schwalbe Marathon is not the direction I'd be going. Any of the tires mentioned in this thread will be loads faster and more comfortable than both what you're currently riding, and the marathons. Another thing not to overlook is the comfort you get from dropping pressure. I run 35mm tires at around 35 psi (tubeless, because tubeless tires don't pinch flat) and I'm 140 pounds. If you're having trouble getting comfortable on your bike over longer distances, the pressure you run it at has a tremendous effect on that too. Best of luck, the Diverge is a fantastic bike.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
If you're staying strictly on the road, the Continental GP5000 in 32 is an excellent choice too. Getting something slicker, lighter, and more supple will do huge amount for how the bike feels and how fast it is.
Wow, that was a close one! The GP5000/32's arrived today. I went ahead and ordered them a couple of days ago because I have had them in the past and they were wonderful on my road bike in 28's, and I simply couldn't get my hands on the Marathons in 32 anyway. Looks like I am all set.

Maybe someday I will be worthy of the Rene Herse in 35. Thank you for everything!
Old 10-23-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:

The problem with your tires isn't the width, though, it's the casing. Gravel tires are like MTB tires, meaning hard casings to resist punctures better. If you'll be staying on pavement, you can look at supple road tires and run them at lower pressure. I would look at the RH Barlow Pass 700x38, or Snoqualmie Pass 700x44 if your Diverge is a 2021. There's lots of info in the RH blog about how wide supple tires at the right pressure can be more comfortable and as fast as skinnier tires.
Well, yet another back-order for the latest tires. I think it's a sign. I went ahead and ordered a set of Barlow Pass!
Old 10-23-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Well, yet another back-order for the latest tires. I think it's a sign. I went ahead and ordered a set of Barlow Pass!
Enjoy!
Old 10-27-2020, 08:48 AM

Awesome, I hope you enjoy them.

Tags
diverge carbon