Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepextate View Post
Not OP, but I'm eyeing a set of Belgium+, exactly as you described (CK hubs, disc brakes). I see they're $1,215 on CK's website. Do you know if these wheels ever go on sale? If not, I might just bite the bullet and buy them from my LBS.

https://chrisking.com/collections/he...isc-r45d-28-28

Wonder if CK will embrace N3W?
Old 10-18-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Not OP, but I'm eyeing a set of Belgium+, exactly as you described (CK hubs, disc brakes). I see they're $1,215 on CK's website. Do you know if these wheels ever go on sale? If not, I might just bite the bullet and buy them from my LBS.

I have not seen a sale on Chris King’s website in the past. AVT Bike will occasionally run a promotion where they include a “free” CK bottom bracket or headset with purchase of the CK HED Belgium wheel set at the regular price.

Currently, Bike Tires Direct is selling the HED Belgium Eroica CK Bourbon disc hub wheel set for $1,215 and BTD gives you $121.50 in credit on their website.

Hope this is of some value to your search.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Oh, these are light-bicycle rims 35 mm deep, 25 mm wide. 28 hole, CXray spokes, laced to DT240S hubs. But I imagine any non-ultra-flyweight carbon is going to be equally durable. I don't suggest anyone ride the things I ride on a gravel bike, because it is dumb, but I definitely torture the poor thing.

I've destroyed a set of A23 alloy rims with a single trip through a marginal section, which could be just bad luck. But alloy doesn't seem to like sideways dings by rocks.
This is what I have heard elsewhere also, while it seems counter intuitive, well build carbon rims are actually more durable and resistant to side damage than comparable aluminum as you can add a lot more material/thickness there without making a boat anchor.

Im leaning towards Btlos 28h rims for this build per old spuds reccomendations on thier quality in other threads. Looks like the spec is very similar to light bicycle, but they offer more drilling and no logo options as well as being marginally cheaper (and that's with the premium option which also has a three year warranty)
Old 10-19-2020, 12:30 AM

you're in denver and i am in boulder. so, perhaps we might be riding the same trails if you ever ride in the boulder area. the reason why i mention our trails is because i bomb down switzerland trail on my BTLOS carbon rim/DT swiss 180 hubs (24h/24h; front rear) like there is no tomorrow. i have also taking the bike up rollins pass and they have performed flawlessly. i have also taken the gravel bike to betasso and they did great! but i must confess, betasso while smooth, is mtb territory for maximizing fun.

dont know much aluminum rims and how they fare but these BTLOS rims laced by our very own old spud have been bombproof. and to boot, they weigh 1250 g!

i vacillate between 145 lb and 150 lb, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
This is what I have heard elsewhere also, while it seems counter intuitive, well build carbon rims are actually more durable and resistant to side damage than comparable aluminum as you can add a lot more material/thickness there without making a boat anchor.

Im leaning towards Btlos 28h rims for this build per old spuds reccomendations on thier quality in other threads. Looks like the spec is very similar to light bicycle, but they offer more drilling and no logo options as well as being marginally cheaper (and that's with the premium option which also has a three year warranty)
Old 10-19-2020, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHampsten View Post
I have not seen a sale on Chris King’s website in the past. AVT Bike will occasionally run a promotion where they include a “free” CK bottom bracket or headset with purchase of the CK HED Belgium wheel set at the regular price.

Currently, Bike Tires Direct is selling the HED Belgium Eroica CK Bourbon disc hub wheel set for $1,215 and BTD gives you $121.50 in credit on their website.

Hope this is of some value to your search.
Cheers. This is super helpful. I appreciate the feedback!
Old 10-19-2020, 06:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Wonder if CK will embrace N3W?
Doubt it..as per the 'EKAR' thread, CK has abandoned Campagnolo FHBs all together(9s, 10, 11s)..so doubt they would go back to servicing a small by comparison, but viable part of the market.

No great loss, IMHO..Hubs are a "$500 answer to a $50 question", too complex, to proprietary. I used to be a fan of their headsets but many other really good options out there(CaneCreek)...

BBs, yawn...
Old 10-19-2020, 06:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
you're in denver and i am in boulder. so, perhaps we might be riding the same trails if you ever ride in the boulder area. the reason why i mention our trails is because i bomb down switzerland trail on my BTLOS carbon rim/DT swiss 180 hubs (24h/24h; front rear) like there is no tomorrow. i have also taking the bike up rollins pass and they have performed flawlessly. i have also taken the gravel bike to betasso and they did great! but i must confess, betasso while smooth, is mtb territory for maximizing fun.

dont know much aluminum rims and how they fare but these BTLOS rims laced by our very own old spud have been bombproof. and to boot, they weigh 1250 g!

Glad they are still dong well..and thanks to Brewsmith as well. BIG fan of BTLOS, whether I, you or somebody else builds with them.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post

I've got a good 30lbs on you, so I'll be going at least 28/28 but glad to hear it! That's exactly the use case I am going for
Old 10-19-2020, 01:02 PM

I've been riding Reynolds ATR carbon wheels with 35c tires (mostly Gravelking SK which measures 38 mm on these rims but more recently with Conti Terra Speeds which are a true 35).

I take them on wildly inappropriate terrain for what amounts to a road bike in eastern MA, including rock gardens, and lots of rooty trails. I've amassed a fair amount of scratches and get burps sometimes on really hard hits, but the wheels run true after a couple thousand miles of abuse and haven't chipped.

YMMV of course, but they've faired better than the WTB i19's on my other bike.

Edit: since weight is relevant I'm about 175 kitted up and the bike's an Allied Allroad which is about 18 lbs.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:18 PM

Forum sponsor Next Wheels offers free lifetime replacement for carbon rims damaged while riding. I am currently beating the crap out of a set of their Xplor rims and they are still like new. I have several sets of HED belgium C2 rims and have managed to dent the sidewalls treating them similarly.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:56 PM

Am curious about this also...

Planning a Road+ build with carbon parts for weight / comfort over 10-20 hour rides. Riding would mostly be roads, less maintained roads, gravel, etc.. nothing too rough.

Been looking at the Nextie stuff. Looks pretty promising, and I can't imagine they'd just "break" unless bouncing off of baby head rocks etc.

https://www.nextie.com/premium-lite-...nch-NXT27XM30U
Old 10-21-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:

On sale at Biketiresdirect - $1,032.75 plus $51.63 in store credit.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...-disc-wheelset