Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 08-04-2020, 11:45 AM

Uneven saddle wear... what does it mean?

Hi all - I put more wear on the left side nose/midsection of my saddles. I tend to see it more on my road bikes - leather SLR saddle where I’ve worn through the cover with my inner left thigh. It’s less noticeable on my MTBs due to synthetic covers on WTB saddles. I have speed play pedals with lots of float on the road bike, but I do some form work and believe that I pedal pretty straight up and down. A couple of points: The saddle is centered L-R, so it’s not crooked or anything wonky. I’ve never had a pro bike fit, but wonder what this might indicate. Leg length discrepancy? Saddle position? Wandering left knee? Floating left foot? To my knowledge, no pain is associated with it, hence my lack of seeking a pro bike fit. The only pain that I get on longer rides is in my traps/upper back/neck, but I figured that was middle age and past injuries conspiring against me.

I welcome your input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2020, 06:16 PM

Saddle a little too high, favoring the right leg so sitting off a bit to the right to shorten the reach, left leg ends up rubbing against the saddle more. And/or saddle too narrow, sitting off to the right to take pressure off the soft tissues. And/or leg length difference or some other body asymmetry that all people have to some extent.

Traps, shoulder and neck pain implies too long of a reach, possibly handlebar too wide.

Last edited by Fiery; 08-05-2020 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:24 PM
NJ/TN/PDX

I used to bend saddles on the rails after a while before I started shimming my cleat tilt/height on my right leg. Broke parts of that side a few times with other sports when younger. Also still rotate the saddle counter clockwise a touch. I used to rotate it more before the shims.

So I don't pedal too many crooked miles....
Old 09-29-2020, 10:59 PM

I had similar issues when I first started riding. I discovered that I have a little over 1/2" leg length difference. That causes the pelvis to tilt and most of my weight ends up on that side of the saddle. My right cleat is now shimmed 1/2" and that really helps. You may have a similar situation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R56Blues View Post
I had similar issues when I first started riding. I discovered that I have a little over 1/2" leg length difference. That causes the pelvis to tilt and most of my weight ends up on that side of the saddle. My right cleat is now shimmed 1/2" and that really helps. You may have a similar situation.

Helpful - thanks. I’m planning to get a proper fitting. Oddly, more than once, I have had IT Band issues on the same side as the saddle wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I used to bend saddles on the rails after a while before I started shimming my cleat tilt/height on my right leg. Broke parts of that side a few times with other sports when younger. Also still rotate the saddle counter clockwise a touch. I used to rotate it more before the shims.

So I don't pedal too many crooked miles....
I took your suggestion of rotating my saddle a few degrees today. It helped a bit with pressure on my right sit bone. I also have a 13mm shim on my right cleat.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb View Post
Helpful - thanks. I’m planning to get a proper fitting. Oddly, more than once, I have had IT Band issues on the same side as the saddle wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IT band issues can be caused by overextension. A saddle that is too high can cause overextension on one side though the mechanism I already described: the body favours one leg so it leans off to that side while the opposite ends up overextended.

It could also be caused by leg length difference, but dropping the saddle 5-10 mm is still a quick and easy way to test what may be going on.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:42 PM

Yer ass ain't flat???