Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 08-12-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post

We can also go without the braze-on for unlimited adjustment range. Both work well.

dave
And lose the JOe Bell paint detail ??
Old 08-24-2020, 07:26 PM

Great color
Old 08-28-2020, 11:57 AM

It was about 1990 and I was the custom builder at Serotta. A large part of my output was dedicated to the Coors Light Cycling Team. The vast majority of the bikes were pretty normal but there were a few that were anything but.

A good example of this were bikes that I built for Alexi Grewal. He'd been injured and wanted a very forward position on a Allsop Softride beam bike to make it possible for him to race. I built a few of these and then a fit change was made and he needed another bike immediately - and it of course needed to be lighter. This meant building the new bike NOW with even lighter tubes. Frankly I was stuck - we didn't have the right part to use as the rear section of the top tube and didn't have the time to get it and I used a tube I knew was too thin. I knew it would fail in fairly short order. I recall that it lasted the rest of the season so I guess the job was done.

These bikes had a very steep seat angle and Alexi wanted the shortest possible chainstays to balance the bike. It has a curved seat tube with a recess in the BB shell to allow for tire room and a custom made front derailleur boss to put the changer where it needed to be. The wheel was a 700C and the chainstays are a super short 36.0cm. It was a very time consuming build and took more than twice the time of a 'normal' team bike.

Fast forward 30 years - I was approached by the current owner of the bike and asked if I could fix the broken top tube. It felt like things were coming full circle and I had a chance to make this bike right - the way I wish I could have done it the first time. So the old tube was removed and a new beefier tube was installed and it was all finished out and made ready for a repaint.

When taking it apart I had flashbacks of the original build so long ago. It was surreal honestly seeing how I solved the design problems posed by the fitting needs. Seeing both the good and bad of a quick build. It feels good knowing the frame is now back in one solid piece. Tick that one off the list.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ag1.jpg (105.3 KB, 758 views)
File Type: jpg ag2.jpg (63.0 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg ag3.jpg (90.2 KB, 751 views)
File Type: jpg ag4.jpg (106.8 KB, 770 views)
File Type: jpg ag5.jpg (48.2 KB, 757 views)
File Type: jpg ag6.jpg (46.8 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg ag7.jpg (86.6 KB, 755 views)
Old 08-28-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
It was about 1990 and I was the custom builder at Serotta. A large part of my output was dedicated to the Coors Light Cycling Team. The vast majority of the bikes were pretty normal but there were a few that were anything but.

A good example of this were bikes that I built for Alexi Grewal. He'd been injured and wanted a very forward position on a Allsop Softride beam bike to make it possible for him to race. I built a few of these and then a fit change was made and he needed another bike immediately - and it of course needed to be lighter. This meant building the new bike NOW with even lighter tubes. Frankly I was stuck - we didn't have the right part to use as the rear section of the top tube and didn't have the time to get it and I used a tube I knew was too thin. I knew it would fail in fairly short order. I recall that it lasted the rest of the season so I guess the job was done.

These bikes had a very steep seat angle and Alexi wanted the shortest possible chainstays to balance the bike. It has a curved seat tube with a recess in the BB shell to allow for tire room and a custom made front derailleur boss to put the changer where it needed to be. The wheel was a 700C and the chainstays are a super short 36.0cm. It was a very time consuming build and took more than twice the time of a 'normal' team bike.

Fast forward 30 years - I was approached by the current owner of the bike and asked if I could fix the broken top tube. It felt like things were coming full circle and I had a chance to make this bike right - the way I wish I could have done it the first time. So the old tube was removed and a new beefier tube was installed and it was all finished out and made ready for a repaint.

When taking it apart I had flashbacks of the original build so long ago. It was surreal honestly seeing how I solved the design problems posed by the fitting needs. Seeing both the good and bad of a quick build. It feels good knowing the frame is now back in one solid piece. Tick that one off the list.

dave

Cool story, Dave! Thanks for sharing!!

That’s truly a unique bike. My first thought was *** but after reading the story it makes more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2020, 10:45 PM

That's so cool. I want to see that built up.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:24 PM

great story Dave.i still remember watching races on TV with Alexi riding that bike and how it looked a bit odd but interesting.seems like he raced that in the tour dupont maybe? very unique to say the least.
i did wonder how Ben felt about having that bike out there and if you ever got requests to build any for customers?
i recall you had mentioned in a previous story about Alexi being a bit "demanding" to work with and always insisting on the shortest chainstays possible.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3759 View Post
great story Dave.i still remember watching races on TV with Alexi riding that bike and how it looked a bit odd but interesting.seems like he raced that in the tour dupont maybe? very unique to say the least.
i did wonder how Ben felt about having that bike out there and if you ever got requests to build any for customers?
i recall you had mentioned in a previous story about Alexi being a bit "demanding" to work with and always insisting on the shortest chainstays possible.
I don't recall anyone, including Ben, feeling funny about having that bike out there....nor do I recall anyone asking to have one build like that for their own use. It could have happened and got shut down at the sales desk and therefore never made it to me I guess. I don't recall sales ever coming to me and asking if I could build more like it.

Alexi was very 'demanding' I guess. Most of the team guys were super cool to deal with - Kiefel and Phinney being and absolute pleasure to deal with. Alexi was not a pleasure and he clearly had demons he was dealing with.

I don't know if I've shared this story here or not so please forgive me if this is a repeat -

way back then my wife Karin and I flew into Boulder to visit her brother and do some skiing. Karin's brother happened to be a roommate with Eric the head mechanic for Coors Light (small world eh?).

We flew in, rented a car and drove to her brother's place and when we arrived we saw the mechanic Eric and Alexi Grewal on the front porch having an animated discussion. I walked up excited to meet Alexi for the first time and Eric introduced me and told Alexi that I was the guy who built his bikes. I held out my hand and he would not shake it. He looked me in the eye and said something like "the bike is crap - not enough tire clearance!!". He then dropped in onto the concrete and left.

That was the one and only time I met him. I was a young man who wanted to make his mark on the world and this crushed me. Eric told me that Alexi was trying to stuff huge Paris Roubaix tubulars in there and of course there wasn't enough room. The chainstays were 36.0 cm and I was told to use a 23 mm tire for the build. So of course the big tires wouldn't clear. But still I felt like crap. One can see that the tire he used rubbed all the way through the paint on the back of the seat tube. Not surprising.

Flash forward a few decades and Alexi was trying to make a public racing come back. He wanted to race as a pro again at the age of 50 and he was looking for support. I contacted him and suggested that I may build a bike for him to race on. Much to my surprise he remembered who I was and how he had treated me and apologized. I assured him it was all fine. I don't know what came of the racing effort but I know it was dropped at some point.

We all have our own issues and demons and I wish him the best. Life can not be easy for Alexi.

Every bike has a story of some sort.

dave
Old 09-07-2020, 03:59 PM

wow,quite a story.i dont ever recall reading that one in particular,just mentions of your dealings with a young Alexi were how most folks might imagine an interactaction with him might go after watching some of his behavior in front a tv camera.
i really hope he is doing well and i recall he was wanting to get back into racing a few years back.he still has alot of fans i bet.glad to hear he apologized for the way he treated you and good for you for offering to help him out.
thank you Dave !
Old 09-10-2020, 07:38 PM

Hey Dave, I think you need to make a t shirt for people like me to wear off the bike. One design, five sizes, limited edition, printed to order.

Any color but grey and orange would be great put me down for 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tops_&_Shirts_M5CA562F_7S260_114F.jpg (42.3 KB, 523 views)
Old 09-11-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
Hey Dave, I think you need to make a t shirt for people like me to wear off the bike. One design, five sizes, limited edition, printed to order.

Any color but grey and orange would be great put me down for 3.
I like that idea....I just ran out of cycling caps so it's time for some T shirts.

dave
Old 10-02-2020, 01:11 PM

Just in time for the weekend this JKS X is headed out the door and into the brown truck. When it pops out of the truck it will be at its new home in Denmark. I'd love to tag along and ride some there.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1130.jpg (35.8 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1131.jpg (43.1 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1132.jpg (34.3 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1135.jpg (37.1 KB, 269 views)
Old 10-02-2020, 01:26 PM

Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2020, 02:00 PM

The little hearts inside the fork crown are a fun touch. As usual, beautiful work.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Just in time for the weekend this JKS X is headed out the door and into the brown truck. When it pops out of the truck it will be at its new home in Denmark. I'd love to tag along and ride some there.

dave
That is some amazing paint work!

Did the new owner request that specific fork crown? It looks a little different than what you normally use, but I may not be remembering correctly..
Old 10-02-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
That is some amazing paint work!

Did the new owner request that specific fork crown? It looks a little different than what you normally use, but I may not be remembering correctly..

It is a different crown than I had been using. I jut found these and they have quickly become a favorite.

dave