Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2021, 11:10 AM
n - 1

All City Zig Zag

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/zig_zag_ultegra

Anyone have one of these?

I like the color scheme, tire clearance (35), fender mounts, and WET paint (not powder coat). My only ding against it is disc brakes.

I’m casually looking for a production steel bike. I had a Mr Pink before and didn’t particularly like the ride. It felt kind of dead to me. Maybe it was the heft. I don’t know if much has changed on this new model.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:34 AM

The A.C.E. tubing is lighter than the Zona they made the Mr. Pink out of. Supposedly a nicer ride as well.

I love my Gorialla Monsoon for commuter work. While paint is nice, All City paint isn't very durable. Chips and rubs easily.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:28 PM

Haven't ridden the Zig Zag. But I did have the Log Lady which featured the ACE tubeset. I really, really liked the way that frame rode.

I had a Mr. Pink as well and agree - it felt a little dead to me.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:29 PM

ACE vs Zona - All-City frame weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
The A.C.E. tubing is lighter than the Zona they made the Mr. Pink out of. Supposedly a nicer ride as well.
Interesting! This is the first I heard praise for ACE tubing, but I did a little digging, and while it's not apples-to-apples, it does seem like the frames are lighter.

For reference, a Mr Pink Zona frameset in 55cm was 3233g:

Quote:
A production steel frameset is never going to be a featherweight, but the Mr Pink isn’t shockingly heavy — the fork, with an uncut steerer and no star nut weight weighs 1,085g and my size 55cm frame comes in at 2,145g.
Nature Cross single-speed with ACE:

Quote:
The frameset in 55cm (including thru axles and eccentric BB) comes in at ~3,082g
Macho King ACE:

Quote:
We pulled a a 55cm for frame weights, which weighs ~1745g, with the frameset including axles weighing ~2379g.
While I'm here.. Super Professional with 612 tubing:

Quote:
Frame only comes in at 2510 g and the fork is 1240 g. Both of those weights include dropouts and thru axles.
Of course, one also needs to factor in these new frames have carbon forks. So let's assume the Columbus Futura fork is 634g (2379 - 1745). This seems reasonable since a Whisky No 9 is 500g. So a Nature Cross frame with with thru axles and BB is supposedly 2448g (3082 - 634). Even if an EBB weights 150g, it's pretty darn close to the Mr Pink Zona, for a disc frame, and subtract the thru-axles from that.

Sorry -- I know this was about the Zig-Zag, but because All-City has only shared complete bike weights of the Zig-Zag, this was a long way of guessing ~2300g for the 55cm frame given the Macho King and Nature Boy ACE bikes.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:57 PM

I test rode last year's model.
It felt dead to me - no responsiveness.
Not at all like the blurb for the bike on the website.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:02 PM

I was interested in these when they first came out. Aside from the inexplicabley really high BB. they look well thought-out. I've liked almost every All City I've ridden and they seem like a good value in a production bike and also hold their value better than other brands IME.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:37 AM

Maybe they’ve changed paint methods.

My Space Horse is from 2013 and has been treated really rough and the paint still looks great.

Most of the frames I’ve had which cost 5-7x more haven’t held up as well despite being treated with kid gloves in comparison.

I kind of wish I could kill the bike to justify replacing it with something nicer but it’s unstoppable.

Mine mostly rides fine but is stupid heavy. Can’t really comment on the newer stuff but I’d certainly think about test riding their new stuff down the road. I got mine at Harris though and if they’re gone I don’t know where else I’d find All City.

Last edited by benb; 10-29-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:14 AM

I have the Nature Boy ACE and like it. It rides nice, as steel should. It's a bit heavy, but not obscenely so, and the ZigZag should be lighter without the EBB.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:26 AM

Yah the All City brand kind of grew out of the fixie/single-speed craze at the time.

For some of the bikes the changes to support single speed were just kind of silly and I'm glad they dropped them.

I've never run my Space Horse single speed and the semi-horizontal dropouts have never accomplished anything other than rusty hardware and worrying the rear wheel isn't aligned right. They dropped it from the Space Horse and I think that's a change for the better.

If I looked again I would only be looking at the bikes where they didn't try to allow it to be built for SS or geared.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Yah the All City brand kind of grew out of the fixie/single-speed craze at the time.

For some of the bikes the changes to support single speed were just kind of silly and I'm glad they dropped them.

I've never run my Space Horse single speed and the semi-horizontal dropouts have never accomplished anything other than rusty hardware and worrying the rear wheel isn't aligned right. They dropped it from the Space Horse and I think that's a change for the better.

If I looked again I would only be looking at the bikes where they didn't try to allow it to be built for SS or geared.
Love my canti space horse but agree on the dropouts. Have thought about converting to SS as my primary commuter though haven't done it yet to date. I run minimotos so it's actually quite challenging to make sure the wheel is aligned as the brake pads have to be close to the rims.

Last edited by lorenbike; 10-19-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/zig_zag_ultegra

Anyone have one of these?

I like the color scheme, tire clearance (35), fender mounts, and WET paint (not powder coat). My only ding against it is disc brakes.

I’m casually looking for a production steel bike. I had a Mr Pink before and didn’t particularly like the ride. It felt kind of dead to me. Maybe it was the heft. I don’t know if much has changed on this new model.

It all depends on your usage and expectations.

Might work, might not.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:07 PM

I’ve owned a few All City bikes and enjoyed each of them. My favorite was the mr pink and I thought it rode wonderfully. Mine had the whisky fork, which might have made a difference?