Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2021, 10:52 AM
Formerly rchman

44mm Headtube with 1 1/8 Straight Fork (Non-Tapered) - Revisiting Rim Brake 32mm

Let me start with the why: I'm working on trying to spec another rim brake Ti bike that will just barely clear 32mm actual tires but I can't find a tapered fork that meets that criteria. I have an email out to No22 about their fork so that's a maybe and I was dumb and sold my Tarmac SL6 DM fork which would have done the trick and I don't think I can source another one. But, it seems though I have options with non-tapered forks (Ritchey is one and I think Whiskey makes one as well).

Which goes to the thread title, does anyone have photos of a metal bike (Ti if possible) with a 44mm head tube using an inset ZS44/30 headset paired to a non tapered fork? I want to get an idea as to what it looks like.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanH View Post
Let me start with the why: I'm working on trying to spec another rim brake Ti bike that will just barely clear 32mm actual tires but I can't find a tapered fork that meets that criteria. I have an email out to No22 about their fork so that's a maybe and I was dumb and sold my Tarmac SL6 DM fork which would have done the trick and I don't think I can source another one. But, it seems though I have options with non-tapered forks (Ritchey is one and I think Whiskey makes one as well).

Which goes to the thread title, does anyone have photos of a metal bike (Ti if possible) with a 44mm head tube using an inset ZS44/30 headset paired to a non tapered fork? I want to get an idea as to what it looks like.
As you mentioned the Tarmac SL6 direct mount fork clears 32mm actual and they pop up every once in a while. Pretty sure the direct mount forks from Trek and Colnago do as well. Trying to source one might be an issue though.

Another option you could try would be a disc front setup. I thought about if for a crazy city/commuter build I was going to try, but chickened out. Should also help in actual braking since the front takes most of the force.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:02 AM

Why not use a straight 1-1/8" head tube? Thats what I did on my Zukas with a ritchey fork.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:09 AM
Formerly rchman

Doing hybrid disc would defeat the point I think, I'd just go full disc at that point. No reason for half of my bike to be annoying.

I don't think Litespeed will do a 34mm head tube for me as that would require a complete reworking of the joining tubes. I want this bike to ride as close as possible to my T3 so I'm hesitant to venture away from that formula. With that being said, I did adore my Litespeed Classics (3 of them) and the ride was similar albeit not identical.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:11 AM

It looks rubbish. Spec a 1 1/8" headtube.

Edit: oh.. I see...
Old 10-28-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Doing hybrid disc would defeat the point I think, I'd just go full disc at that point. No reason for half of my bike to be annoying.
You could also do a cable pull disc, which is where I ended up, waiting for Paul Klampers in the mail. A bit simpler, although not really any cheaper. Either way I'd insist on a straight steerer tube for a non-tapered fork.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:19 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
You could also do a cable pull disc, which is where I ended up, waiting for Paul Klampers in the mail. A bit simpler, although not really any cheaper. Either way I'd insist on a straight steerer tube for a non-tapered fork.
I used a JuinTec 4 Pot cable pull Hydro up front and pretty happy with it, Swiss stop pads, using a SLC rear...
Old 10-28-2021, 11:25 AM

On second thoughts, Ryan, a Seven PureRoad will do the trick - but it *is* medium reach and does have fender mounts. Still, nice looking fork IMO.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:36 AM
Formerly rchman

Yeah, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too so I want it to use eeBrakes (short reach). The Tarmac fork is really the answer but who knows when one will pop up.

Also, I already have a deposit with Rob English but that's not going to be started until Mar 2023. Still undecided which direction I'll go with the English build but right now I'm using the 2022 Crux as a platform to dabble with fat tires and I *think* 32mm will be the goldilocks size which is where rim is still an option. So, I'd prefer to replace the Litespeed with effectively the same bike but just upgraded clearance. It was a build that I started last year but cancelled due to the pandemic.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:47 AM
Formerly rchman

Happened across a bike with this setup and yeah, not pretty:

Old 10-28-2021, 11:48 AM

I have a similar combination on my Desalvo for a bit. I used a 44mm ti headtube and mated it with a WoundUp fork and a King Devolution baseplate. The headset was a King with an integrated top assembly and external lower assembly.

I hated the way it looked and promptly changed it out! I unfortunately dont have a photo to show you.

I sold the desalvo (excellent bike, but was saving for a house) and still use the Wound Up on my straight steerer commuter. Both good parts, but a bad combination, in my opinion. Oh and the WU fork is a bit of a jackhammer for offroad riding, but that is an aside. I rode singletrack on it this weekend at times and it was bouncing everywhere! Still like it for all-round use though.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I *think* 32mm will be the goldilocks size which is where rim is still an option.
I can't help you with a fork, but I'll agree that ~32mm is a fantastic size for bad pavement and light gravel on a rim brake. Either the right "short reach" or medium reach. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
On second thoughts, Ryan, a Seven PureRoad will do the trick - but it *is* medium reach and does have fender mounts. Still, nice looking fork IMO.
But- what’s with the dimensions of the Seven PureRoad fork? Specifically the axle-to-crown of 389mm?
Every other medium-reach brake fork I’ve encountered (Whisky, WoundUp, and various custom steel versions) have an A-C length of 375mm.
Seems to me that if you commission frame with this fork in mind it would be advisable to purchase a second fork as a backup, since it’s so unique.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:00 PM

The Trek Emonda rim brake uses direct mount brakes, and its a tapered head tube - would that work?
Old 10-28-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
The Trek Emonda rim brake uses direct mount brakes, and its a tapered head tube - would that work?
Depending on the tire the DM Trek Emonda forks will clear a 32mm measured tire as long as it’s not freaky tall. I ran 30mm Challenfe Strada Bianca’s measuring 31.8 on mine with no issue