Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 11:05 AM

Specialized Aethos - Is it Just Me?

I just can't seem to get on with these bikes - tried two now: a Comp in the 56 and an S-Works in a 54. Aside from the hilariously small sizing, where a 56 feels like a 54 and the 54 feels like a 52, the ride quality was just so bad. I was utterly shocked and thought it must've been the setup: tires, PSI, something... It's like someone designed the rear end of that bike to transmit everything from the road directly into your ass. FWIW, the thing does climb nicely, but still not as well as the new Emonda.

Maybe this is a "me" thing? I seem to just gravitate towards steel bikes for feel and the only carbon bike I've ridden and would consider a nice ride was a Cannondale Synapse SE.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:14 AM
formerly Landshark_98

I agree the sizing is an issue; I sold mine in large part due to the aesthetics caused by a really short headtube for a 61cm bike with internal headset. But I thought it was a great ride; almost as good as a steel bike and obviously much lighter.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:14 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
the only carbon bike I've ridden and would consider a nice ride was a Cannondale Synapse SE.
Ridden a Domane or a Roubaix? Curious where the ranking might be of yes? And of yes, what level fact or OCLV etc..

Old 10-27-2021, 11:15 AM

Specialized Aethos - Is it Just Me?

Aethos ethos /= Synapse.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Ridden a Domane or a Roubaix? Curious where the ranking might be of yes? And of yes, what level fact or OCLV etc..

Yeah - my s/o has a '21 Domane SL6 and I've tried the SLR in a 56. Those bikes have a very nice look to them, and to Trek's credit, they are very comfortable; unfortunately, they're a little porky and you kinda feel like you're pedaling a Lay-Z Boy up hills.

Never tried a Roubaix and I would avoid until they drop the gimmicky suspension.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I just can't seem to get on with these bikes - tried two now: a Comp in the 56 and an S-Works in a 54. Aside from the hilariously small sizing, where a 56 feels like a 54 and the 54 feels like a 52, the ride quality was just so bad. I was utterly shocked and thought it must've been the setup: tires, PSI, something... It's like someone designed the rear end of that bike to transmit everything from the road directly into your ass. FWIW, the thing does climb nicely, but still not as well as the new Emonda.

Maybe this is a "me" thing? I seem to just gravitate towards steel bikes for feel and the only carbon bike I've ridden and would consider a nice ride was a Cannondale Synapse SE.
I built an s-works tarmac up from the frame...put about 1k miles on it...and just sold it. The geo was not at all to my liking.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:32 PM
Deconditioned!

I had one. I've been on lots of bikes. I got along with it very well. For me, it worked as advertised, and then some. We are all different.

In the end, I'm simply not drawn to CF. And, I NEED to remember that. I tend to keep looking with CF...no matter if I'm riding an Aethos or a Dogma. Whereas with steel an ti, those hold my attention for very long periods of time. Decades.

I blame this place and across the hall for, long ago, cementing my thoughts/desires to non-cf stuff. I blame this, now old, video of Dario. After something like that, how could I not be on a peg or steel or ti???
Old 10-27-2021, 01:35 PM

^Preach it. I don't care how nicely a CF frame rides to be honest. They just do nothing for me and I can't get excited about them. Metal frames till I die.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:47 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
^Preach it. I don't care how nicely a CF frame rides to be honest. They just do nothing for me and I can't get excited about them. Metal frames till I die.
Concur. And, I realize that I also have been a hypocrite (C59, Dogma(s), Aethos). Each damn time it's the same thing...me staring a metal tubed bike.

Failing a good rule to live by: Know thine self!

Last edited by lavi; 10-27-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:00 PM
DELETE ACCNT

same geo as the Tarmac
Aethos is one of the few disc road bikes that I personally think are awesome... and I really don't like Spec but it's a highlight on the new stuff, imo
Old 10-27-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I had one. I've been on lots of bikes. I got along with it very well. For me, it worked as advertised, and then some. We are all different.

In the end, I'm simply not drawn to CF. And, I NEED to remember that. I tend to keep looking with CF...no matter if I'm riding an Aethos or a Dogma. Whereas with steel an ti, those hold my attention for very long periods of time. Decades.

I blame this place and across the hall for, long ago, cementing my thoughts/desires to non-cf stuff. I blame this, now old, video of Dario. After something like that, how could I not be on a peg or steel or ti???
To be honest, the bar for the tarmac was pretty high. My Daily drivers all have custom geo suited to my local environs and riding style. I have ti and steel from the same builder with the same geo. That was maybe too much to ask of a stock bike, no matter what the material. I rode the tarmac almost exclusively for 3 solid months, got back on my daily and thought to myself...yup, this is what I like. Maybe I need to talk to crumpton.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:30 PM

Time makes some nice carbon bikes

I used to think the whole vectran and woven in France was just marketing.

It is not, they are the real deal

Of course I have a nice stash of steel
Old 10-27-2021, 02:39 PM

Well I think the geometry and sizing is pretty typical for a racing style frame. It's not an endurance bike with tall stack.

As for the ride quality, I haven't ridden one but I suspect it's better than a lot of racing bikes but much stiffer than a lot of steel frames...
Old 10-27-2021, 03:13 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Perhaps I should have specified, I meant in terms of ride.

Which begs the question;
Quote:
"would consider a nice ride"
Is 'ride' a noun or a verb. My question took the OP to mean a verb I guess... Nice ride, or ride nice?? Has a nice ride or is a nice ride, I digress.

Quote:
Yeah - my s/o has a '21 Domane SL6 and I've tried the SLR in a 56. Those bikes have a very nice look to them, and to Trek's credit, they are very comfortable; unfortunately, they're a little porky and you kinda feel like you're pedaling a Lay-Z Boy up hills.

Never tried a Roubaix and I would avoid until they drop the gimmicky suspension.
re:Roubaix, agree gimmicky last revision. I just bought a 2014 Roubaix frameset NIB/NOS. 2014 version/model/revision has zerts, not too gimmicky for me like the Future shocking..
Old 10-27-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
re:Roubaix, agree gimmicky last revision. I just bought a 2014 Roubaix frameset NIB/NOS. 2014 version/model/revision has zerts, not too gimmicky for me like the Future shocking..
Zertz were a gimmick, and Specialized always knew it. Once frame designers started builiding actual flex members into frames (Trek IsoSpeed, Specialized FutureShock, etc.), Specialized dropped Zertz.