Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2021, 09:29 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
The analogy is a bad one. Discs seem to be in demand and manufacturers are making disc brakes to fill a market demand.

EV's are being made because of central planning
I don't know. I'm fine without disc brakes, but may be forced to buy them soon, along with electronic shifting. Not my market demand, and something tells me that most of the Corona bike buyers that emptied stores the last almost two years had no preference either, but it was probably a cool feature sales people used to move that kind of bike.

And somebody in central planning will be saying, whoops, we pushed all of those EVs to the masses but forgot that it needed a much more robust charging station infrastructure and electric grid to "fuel" all of those things. Oh well, sorry, now there will be a fortune to be made lobbying for all that. I'll have another one, George, extra olives, please.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:42 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
I never run the battery all the way down nor do I top it off (Better long-term battery life I'm told), It takes me typically somewhere between 10-15 minutes. its about 5 mins longer than what you would expect to from filling up gas. If you empty the battery, I think its 15-20 mins. In reality we seldom use the charging stations, our 110v outlet keep the car charged and zipping around Boulder and Denver area. The electracy cost of driving the model X is about 1/3 of the cost of gas for the Audi Q7 when charging at home.
So, you're saying that you really dont drive very far. Gotcha, and I suspect that most EVs aren't long haulers, just expensive commuters and shoppers. Me, I need something that can do more than 3-400 miles without worrying about a "fillup". And I live in the heavily populated and dense East. I really can't see how somebody who likes to roam the West can even think of owning one today or in the near future. Wide open spaces and all that. I drove cross country and all around the Rockies recently in retirement a few times, and after, say, St. Louis and Denver after that, I always stop and refuel with a half tank, you know, just in case. Only takes a few seconds, not twenty minutes. Hate to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere Wyoming, but, even then, the AAA guy or even the local wrecker can save me with a few gallons on the side of the road for a fee, but, what happens if I'm stuck with an EV? Do they make portable chargers yet? And how much will that cost?
It's a big country.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
So, you're saying that you really dont drive very far. Gotcha, and I suspect that most EVs aren't long haulers, just expensive commuters and shoppers. Me, I need something that can do more than 3-400 miles without worrying about a "fillup". And I live in the heavily populated and dense East. I really can't see how somebody who likes to roam the West can even think of owning one today or in the near future. Wide open spaces and all that. I drove cross country and all around the Rockies recently in retirement a few times, and after, say, St. Louis and Denver after that, I always stop and refuel with a half tank, you know, just in case. Only takes a few seconds, not twenty minutes. Hate to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere Wyoming, but, even then, the AAA guy or even the local wrecker can save me with a few gallons on the side of the road for a fee, but, what happens if I'm stuck with an EV? Do they make portable chargers yet? And how much will that cost?
It's a big country.
You are a hard core driver if you like to drive more than 400 miles with out a stop. With the bigger batteries you can get 11-12 hours of driving with only one stop but most people would preferer a couple of stop to pee and grab a bite to eat. No worries about filling up every half tank as you do, finding a charging station is easy, tell the car your destination and it will map out the best places to charge and guide you there. There are companies that have charging trucks but I don't know much about it, the need for them is likely small.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
They really aren't. They burn through tires & brakes & rotors at a prodigious rate due to the weight and all the risks & costs are greatly magnified if anything goes wrong.

Nobody is really buying these expensive street cars cause extensive track time is their major priority. It's gotta be about street bragging rights cause it doesn't make any sense at all to buy one of these cars if the primary goal is lots of track time and getting really fast.

There's too many track cars & even race series you can buy into and come in under the cost of the street cars.

Realistically (I went to a lot of track days) there are a lot of people there for a thrill. They've got loans on the cars and street insurance and they can't afford to crash the car or really go all out, lots of people are there with their only car they own and they drove it to the track with no real plan of how they get home if it breaks or they crash it.

I'd rather go karting than pay for track days in just about any street car I've ever been in. But I did a lot of track days in the past on motorcycles, so I just don't get excited about the straight line powers of high powered street cars.

If you're not trailering it there you're not even remotely serious maybe with the exception of an AutoX car pulling its race wheels/tires in a trailer to the track. Cause you'll eventually learn the lesson that it's very very silly to ride in/on your street legal vehicle to the race track without a good plan to get it home if you break it or crash it. Been there done that, luckily I was on a motorcycle and it's easy to find trailer space and a helping hand with a motorcycle compared to a car.
Not a Corvette fan, but there are a number at the track and I know a bunch of people at the track that are getting the Z06. I normally drive my track car to the track although I do have a garage at the track now. Lots of people drive their cars to the track. You can have fun at the track in lots of different cars.

I do know a lot more owners of the new Corvette that barely drive them.

I did give a guy a ride home last Friday after he blew the engine in his Corvette.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2021, 02:56 PM

As far as I know the government does not have a requirement for a certain percentage of your production to be disc brake equipped........ yet.

Quote:
I don't know. I'm fine without disc brakes, but may be forced to buy them soon, along with electronic shifting. Not my market demand, and something tells me that most of the Corona bike buyers that emptied stores the last almost two years had no preference either, but it was probably a cool feature sales people used to move that kind of bike.

And somebody in central planning will be saying, whoops, we pushed all of those EVs to the masses but forgot that it needed a much more robust charging station infrastructure and electric grid to "fuel" all of those things. Oh well, sorry, now there will be a fortune to be made lobbying for all that. I'll have another one, George, extra olives, please.

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 10-28-2021 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:10 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post

I did give a guy a ride home last Friday after he blew the engine in his Corvette.

Jeff
Paddle shifting ain't as easy as it sounds.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:46 PM

Lots of polarized opinions for seemingly no real reason. The corvette is very fast, and looks cool. I saw a recent one the other day (C8 maybe?) and it looked like a Ferrari. I think that's pretty cool. Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers, etc. have traditionally been the domain of uber-Boomers, but the new corvette is pretty cool and maybe breaks away from that a little.

It's true though, I would not buy one. EVs are definitely the future. They're quieter and generally faster. My guess is that once the Boomer generation dies out, there will be fewer and fewer who crave that sound of the exhaust and stupid stuff like that. I personally pre-ordered the tri-engine Cybertruck, 2.9 0-60, a ton of utility (seats 6, enclosed bed), and 500 miles of range. Admittedly it keeps getting delayed, so I may end up with a Model Y Performance. But regardless, the Corvette is quite cool and I'm happy they seem to be appealing to a cooler generation (though I couldn't watch the video really well with all the cuts and stuff).

If this is the last gasp of the ICE, it could be worse!
Old 10-28-2021, 11:12 PM

Don't forget the bullet proof windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzxc View Post
Lots of polarized opinions for seemingly no real reason. The corvette is very fast, and looks cool. I saw a recent one the other day (C8 maybe?) and it looked like a Ferrari. I think that's pretty cool. Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers, etc. have traditionally been the domain of uber-Boomers, but the new corvette is pretty cool and maybe breaks away from that a little.

It's true though, I would not buy one. EVs are definitely the future. They're quieter and generally faster. My guess is that once the Boomer generation dies out, there will be fewer and fewer who crave that sound of the exhaust and stupid stuff like that. I personally pre-ordered the tri-engine Cybertruck, 2.9 0-60, a ton of utility (seats 6, enclosed bed), and 500 miles of range. Admittedly it keeps getting delayed, so I may end up with a Model Y Performance. But regardless, the Corvette is quite cool and I'm happy they seem to be appealing to a cooler generation (though I couldn't watch the video really well with all the cuts and stuff).

If this is the last gasp of the ICE, it could be worse!
Old 10-29-2021, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I found it very easy and intuitive. Maybe because it was a Ferrari ( not mine btw)
Old 10-29-2021, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's a big country.
I don’t know , I’ve got two friends with Tesla’s - one has a model 3 and the other a model X . They’ve both driven across the country and back this year. About 7-10 days each way. They did have to plot their routes to hit Tesla charging stations but neither of them felt it was a problem. Yes, they had to wait longer than you would getting gas but they weren’t bothered.
I’m not sure I would try the same thing. I spent most of September visiting Idaho, Utah and Nevada. I spent a lot of time camping and hiking in the middle of nowhere and couldn’t imagine using an EV at this time. Almost no charging stations in these out of the way spaces.

Last edited by gasman; 10-29-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
At least in the cars I've driven, the computer won't let you do anything really stupid with the paddle shifting.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:17 PM

I also think it's funny and perhaps shows a bit of desperation with the big makers now, that the vette ad (and a similar one from toyota) show glamorous young 20-somethings all having a grand old time hooning around in gas-guzzling corvettes and big trucks when in reality the largest cross section of those owners are white, male and over 55. The new gen vette seems to be breaking that trend slightly, but the final numbers aren't in yet. I suspect we'll see significant under-cutting of the market for these vehicles by electric and hybrid by the time I'm gone.

I have a BMW 2-series coupe in the garage as the 'fun' occasional car but neither of my two boys give a crap about it. The one who is currently learning to drive actually refuses to drive in it with me, preferring my wife's '15 RAV4. They just don't care about the things that make it an enjoyable drive for me. Not suggesting it is absolutely confirmational of a larger trend, but I can't imagine my 16 year-old self not wanting to drive a 2+2 sport coupe any time I could've gotten my hands on it.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:23 PM
slower than you

Yup, same with motorcycles. Harley has a near dead demographic.

A lot of things will be very different in ten to twenty years after most Boomers die off. But, it will take a little patience.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:25 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
I also think it's funny and perhaps shows a bit of desperation with the big makers now, that the vette ad (and a similar one from toyota) show glamorous young 20-somethings all having a grand old time hooning around in gas-guzzling corvettes and big trucks when in reality the largest cross section of those owners are white, male and over 55. The new gen vette seems to be breaking that trend slightly, but the final numbers aren't in yet. I suspect we'll see significant under-cutting of the market for these vehicles by electric and hybrid by the time I'm gone.

I have a BMW 2-series coupe in the garage as the 'fun' occasional car but neither of my two boys give a crap about it. The one who is currently learning to drive actually refuses to drive in it with me, preferring my wife's '15 RAV4. They just don't care about the things that make it an enjoyable drive for me. Not suggesting it is absolutely confirmational of a larger trend, but I can't imagine my 16 year-old self not wanting to drive a 2+2 sport coupe any time I could've gotten my hands on it.

its maybe your kids are not into cars but kids now a days are into cars, I have seen a ton of videos of car meets and a lot of teens and 20 year olds there.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:26 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
As far as I know the government does not have a requirement for a certain percentage of your production to be disc brake equipped........ yet.
But the bicycle industry seems to have a great need to invent so called innovations that will make perfectly fine bicycles obsolete in the minds of buyers.