Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 07:57 AM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
[snip]One day we will learn to love electric cars but for now, lets enjoy the end of this era.
The last ICE car in production will be the Miata.
Mazda will be the Nitto/Toei of ICE.

The Japanese are in charge of beautiful obsolescence.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
Tesla= Silent, 0 to 60mph in 2.3s, Corvette killer. ICE are on their last leg, they should have put their time and energy in electric.
Nobody is trying to decide between a tesla or this or any other 'Vette'. ICE are hardly 'on their last leg'.
Quote:
Plug-in electric cars accounted for just under 1% of all 146 million new light-duty vehicle sales between 2011 and 2019.
When the initial number is teeny, any increase looks huge but until battery range, recharging stations, etc change drastically, and unless dino fuel is either hard to find, expensive or somehow way less convenient than electric..it'll stay small.

Is a mostly or all electric vehicle 'fleet' gonna happen? Yup, but not in either of our lifetimes..probably in my grand daughter's lifetimes..and they are 8 and 10yo...
Old 10-27-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Tesla= Silent, 0 to 60mph in 2.3s, Corvette killer. ICE are on there last leg, they should have put their time and energy in electric.

Last leg....whatever.

Heck, states like CA pushing for this can't even supply enough electricity today and it's just going to get worse.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Is a mostly or all electric vehicle 'fleet' gonna happen? Yup, but not in either of our lifetimes..probably in my grand daughter's lifetimes..and they are 8 and 10yo...

Looks like this is happening, Hertz just purchased 100,000 Tesla's.

www.nytimes.com/2021/10/25/business/hertz-tesla-electric-vehicles.html

Tesla has a 400 mile range now which is around 6 hours of highway driving and in their next released vehicles, they will have a 500 mile model.

You live in Boulder and you should be seeing it. I was at the gym yesterday, 11 cars in the parking lot and 4 were Tesla's.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:42 AM

The DOHC was a surprise.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:48 AM

I want a car that I can drive for more than a few hundred miles before running out of fuel. At present, electric cars are great for running around town, but not much more. If I wanted to drive from Loveland to KC, I'd be sitting I the middle of Kansas looking for a charging station, then waiting around with nothing to do while the car recharges.

Even a local delivery vehicle might barely make it through a day on a single charge. Heating and cooling the car's interior has to reduce range.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic. This is a 'vette thread.

I just watched some of the video and the car does look incredible. It would have been huge fun to be on the team that designed, built and tested this car. The engine looks remarkable. I would love the opportunity to drive one of these. What is the MSRP?

I wonder what volume of production they will achieve? Like superbikes, I can hope to own one in about 15 years on the used market
Old 10-27-2021, 08:56 AM

I'd guess DOHC shouldn't be too much of a surprise when they're going for an 8400 rpm redline. I definitely like that part and that's why it sounds so good.

It's basically what the new NSX should have been, or at least a lot closer to what that car should have been.

The horsepower war part does seem utterly pointless though. All the light weight, suspension tuning, steering tuning.. that all has a point but when it's still going to get absolutely smoked by a Tesla with 4 adults in it that can turn around and cruise at the equivalent of 100mpg the whole lots of HP ICE thing just seems utterly silly given how much fuel this car is going to suck down to move 2 people.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:59 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
lol.

anyone who is really excited about this new vette is not cross shopping the tesla, nor do they want a silent vehicle.
lol or has a tesla already for a daily.

The new Tesla Plaid is pretty fast, 2 sec 0-60 and actually has pulled some good numbers around the ring but most that loves cars would still of course pick this vette (and this thing is cheap for what you get, too bad people won't be able to buy em)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
This! These guys reworked the exhaust system at the 11th hour to get some noise back into the cabin! And that motor sounds remarkable at high revs...
almost 9k, its wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post
The last ICE car in production will be the Miata.
Mazda will be the Nitto/Toei of ICE.

The Japanese are in charge of beautiful obsolescence.
I believe it

Quote:
Looks like this is happening, Hertz just purchased 100,000 Tesla's.

www.nytimes.com/2021/10/25/business/hertz-tesla-electric-vehicles.html

Tesla has a 400 mile range now which is around 6 hours of highway driving and in their next released vehicles, they will have a 500 mile model.

You live in Boulder and you should be seeing it. I was at the gym yesterday, 11 cars in the parking lot and 4 were Tesla's.
Teslas are everywhere in major cities or shall I say more progressive states. As we drove down NY down to NC you saw a ton of teslas, then less, then less, then almost none.

I really hope porsche can develop that new fuel they are talking about so we can keep ICE going for a lot longer. Of course dailies will be EV but weekend cars, track cars, ect it would be nice to keep all these classic cars without ipads for screens and with a sound that adds to the experience of driving. People that don't enjoy driving will not get it and yes some cars a obnoxiously loud and if you live on a busy street it can get on ones nerves but on a track or a back road, its wonderful.

I think I bought my last ICE car and I think its the perfect last one. RWD, 400 something hp, manual transmission. There are some really good options right now for the last drivers cars. To me this vette is not it because of no manual trans but we have that new Lotus coming out, toyota 6 cyl engine, manual trans, looks amazing. Not in production anymore but any bmw M2 and of course Porsche gt4 and gt3. The only sad thing is that you can't get anything right now, everything is selling over msrp or is just not available.

oh also on the cheaper end the of course Miata and the toyota 86 which would be my choice over the miata unless you wanted a convertible
Old 10-27-2021, 09:03 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Let's get back on topic. This is a 'vette thread.

I just watched some of the video and the car does look incredible. It would have been huge fun to be on the team that designed, built and tested this car. The engine looks remarkable. I would love the opportunity to drive one of these. What is the MSRP?

I wonder what volume of production they will achieve? Like superbikes, I can hope to own one in about 15 years on the used market
under 100k, prob around mid 80s, thats what Z06 are usually priced at. Just like the C8, its a bargain for what you get. the interior is reallly nice, specially for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I'd guess DOHC shouldn't be too much of a surprise when they're going for an 8400 rpm redline. I definitely like that part and that's why it sounds so good.

It's basically what the new NSX should have been, or at least a lot closer to what that car should have been.

The horsepower war part does seem utterly pointless though. All the light weight, suspension tuning, steering tuning.. that all has a point but when it's still going to get absolutely smoked by a Tesla with 4 adults in it that can turn around and cruise at the equivalent of 100mpg the whole lots of HP ICE thing just seems utterly silly given how much fuel this car is going to suck down to move 2 people.
The new NSX was highly under rated though, I think its a really cool car and I like how they went about it.

You you will be surprised on fuel consumption. Probably will be pretty decent, specially highway. The c6 z06 had at the time one if not the biggest NA engines and the fuel consumption on that car, for a 505hp car was excellent.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I want a car that I can drive for more than a few hundred miles before running out of fuel. At present, electric cars are great for running around town, but not much more. If I wanted to drive from Loveland to KC, I'd be sitting I the middle of Kansas looking for a charging station, then waiting around with nothing to do while the car recharges.

Even a local delivery vehicle might barely make it through a day on a single charge. Heating and cooling the car's interior has to reduce range.
I have made this drive on I70, and even driving through sparsely populated Kansas there are like 8 supercharging stations about one every 80 or 90 miles. This is currently a one stop drive for the longer range batteries.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

You you will be surprised on fuel consumption. Probably will be pretty decent, specially highway. The c6 z06 had at the time one if not the biggest NA engines and the fuel consumption on that car, for a 505hp car was excellent.
Yep, so was my C5 ZO6. I remember making one trip where I averaged ummmm more the 90 mph for a fair distance and still got 29 mpg. I was impressed.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:09 AM

It's rated 24mpg on the highway but I'd guess that's a zero fun driving type of scenario. 55mph in the right hand lane in 6th gear on cruise control.

It's 17mpg combined.

You will have to stop and fill it more frequently than you'd have to charge an electric car.. I bet real world this car is not making it to 300 miles before the low fuel light comes on.

I've only ever driven a C5.. the one I drove was only 350hp and it already seemed like too much engine for the chassis/suspension/brakes/steering. Only fun in the same silly way a hot rodded Harley Davidson is fun to certain people.

It's still at least a very pure car. Glad it's not a hybrid.. the hybrid supercars are the silliest thing going. But then it also broke the whole Corvette tradition. It'll be interesting to see how long it stays around as an MR car with an ICE.

None of the range stuff matters at all to me fuel or electricity. In the northeast corridor you're generally not traveling 200 miles before you're very very very ready to get out of the car for a long break. 200 miles could easily be 4 hours of stressful traffic, completely different than out west where it could be < 3 hours of empty road and high speed.

Last edited by benb; 10-27-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:21 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
It's rated 24mpg on the highway but I'd guess that's a zero fun driving type of scenario. 55mph in the right hand lane in 6th gear on cruise control.

It's 17mpg combined.

You will have to stop and fill it more frequently than you'd have to charge an electric car.. I bet real world this car is not making it to 300 miles before the low fuel light comes on.

I've only ever driven a C5.. the one I drove was only 350hp and it already seemed like too much engine for the chassis/suspension/brakes/steering. Only fun in the same silly way a hot rodded Harley Davidson is fun to certain people.

It's still at least a very pure car. Glad it's not a hybrid.. the hybrid supercars are the silliest thing going. But then it also broke the whole Corvette tradition. It'll be interesting to see how long it stays around as an MR car with an ICE.

None of the range stuff matters at all to me fuel or electricity. In the northeast corridor you're generally not traveling 200 miles before you're very very very ready to get out of the car for a long break. 200 miles could easily be 4 hours of stressful traffic, completely different than out west where it could be < 3 hours of empty road and high speed.
can prob go a little faster than 55 for 24mpg but thats not terrible for that kind of car. As far as power yes, 650hp is silly on any car on the street and most that will buy that car will also not know what to do with it on the track but it will be fun as hell. I just drove an M3 comp and an M5 comp on the track, the M5 hp is in the 600s and it was incredible but I actually prefer the m3 with less hp and also had an M2 comp which is 405 and that was my favorite (still a ton of power). I am having thoughts of building a track car and I would not want anything over 250hp.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:29 AM

[QUOTE=AngryScientist;3002545]Let's get back on topic. This is a 'vette thread.

What is the MSRP?

Based on the pricing of the C7 ZO6 my guess would be somewhere between $100,000-$120,000 depending on options and level of comfort.